Home
WWE 2K16 News Post

The cover athlete for WWE 2K16 was scheduled to be revealed during RAW tonight, but it has been leaked out by various outlets. The official press release was posted on the WWE website shortly after the news hit the Internet.

Read the official press release below and check out the WWE 2K16 cover announcement video here.

"Gimme a Hell Yeah": 2K Announces Stone Cold Steve Austin as WWE 2K16 Cover Superstar

WWE Hall of Famer, film and television personality, producer and podcasting innovator set to inject Texas-sized attitude in flagship WWE video game franchise

2K today announced WWE Hall of Famer Stone Cold Steve Austin® as the cover Superstar for WWE® 2K16, the forthcoming release in the flagship WWE franchise. After setting the WWE Universe on fire during one of WWE’s most celebrated time periods – the “Attitude Era” – to his wealth of television, film and podcasting accomplishments, Austin has amassed worldwide admiration through his unequivocal presence both in and out of the WWE ring. WWE 2K16 is currently in development for Xbox One and Xbox 360, as well as the PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment systems. The game is scheduled for release on October 27, 2015 in North America and October 30, 2015 internationally.

"I’ve had the privilege of working with 2K to support the WWE 2K franchise, and now I’m absolutely honored to serve as the WWE 2K16 cover Superstar,” said Stone Cold Steve Austin. “No disrespect to the previous and extremely deserving WWE 2K cover Superstars – Dwayne ‘The Rock®’ Johnson and John Cena® – but it’s about time the franchise raised some hell with yours truly on the cover. I look forward to injecting a dose of ‘Texas Rattlesnake’ into this year’s game and overall campaign."

Austin is regarded by many as one of the most popular WWE Superstars to ever enter a WWE ring, holding 21 championships throughout his career and being inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2009. His relentless work ethic has also made him a significant mainstream fixture and pop-culture icon as an actor, producer and host in television, film and podcasting. Austin hosted the return of WWE’s reality competition series Tough Enough on USA Network in 2011, and since 2012 has hosted four seasons of Redneck Island on CMT. He also serves as the host of Steve Austin’s Broken Skull Challenge, which is currently in production for its third season on CMT. His film credits include appearances in several feature films, including The Longest Yard, The Condemned and The Expendables, while his no-holds-barred weekly podcast, The Steve Austin Show, regularly appears on the Top Podcasts list within the Sports & Recreation category on iTunes. He also hosts the Stone Cold Podcast, Live!, a monthly interview series on the award-winning WWE Network, where he has interviewed several special guests including Vince McMahon, Triple H and Paul Heyman. In addition, Austin is a brand ambassador for Kawasaki Motors Corp., USA.

“Stone Cold Steve Austin’s iconic style, unmistakable personality and worldwide reverence from the WWE Universe make him the ideal fit for WWE 2K16,” said Chris Snyder, Vice President of Marketing at 2K. “Not only will Austin grace the video game’s cover, but he’s involved in shaping its creative direction. Through his numerous contributions, inclusion on the largest roster in franchise history and the game’s to-be-announced features, WWE 2K16 is certain to put everyone on notice.”

Developed collaboratively by Yuke’s and Visual Concepts, a 2K studio, WWE 2K16 is not yet rated by the ESRB. WWE 2K16 is currently scheduled for release on Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4™ and PS3™ on October 27, 2015 in North America and October 30, 2015 internationally.

Game: WWE 2K16Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 3 - View All
WWE 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Aggies7 @ 07/06/15 08:40 AM
Personally loved the Attitude Era and love this decision. Very excited for this.

Wonder if that means he will be on Raw or he couldn't make it tonight so they announced early.

# 2 jb12780 @ 07/06/15 09:17 AM
Oh hell yeah!

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

# 3 CM Hooe @ 07/06/15 09:26 AM
Assuming that the cover is indicative of a Stone Cold focused gameplay mode, I'm a little disappointed, to be honest.

Eventually they're going to run out of history to fall back upon and have to rely on the current wrestlers to sell the game.

# 4 jb12780 @ 07/06/15 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Assuming that the cover is indicative of a Stone Cold focused gameplay mode, I'm a little disappointed, to be honest.

Eventually they're going to run out of history to fall back upon and have to rely on the current wrestlers to sell the game.
Very true. Brock would have been a great choice.

# 5 Steve_OS @ 07/06/15 09:29 AM
Just added the press release.

# 6 Aggies7 @ 07/06/15 09:38 AM
Quote:

I see and respect your point. They are going to run out of history to fall back on. In my opinion they are very close to being to that point.

But still for a guy that couldn't get enough Stone Cold promos/matches back then this is very exciting.

# 7 cjallure24 @ 07/06/15 09:48 AM
Love the trailer. I'm cool with the cover athlete. I think they're gearing up for an Austin/Lesnar WM32.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

# 8 TheBleedingRed21 @ 07/06/15 10:04 AM
I don't see the issue personally. Make a game with attitude era stars and I'll buy it every year. Release it with bare minimum to none, I'll never buy.

I could care less about the showcases Etc. It's all about the roster and universe to me.

# 9 Agatorfan @ 07/06/15 10:25 AM
We need a ruthless aggression mode. No attitude era. It would be fairly hard though because of the impact benoit made in the era but it will still be pretty cool though

# 10 CM Hooe @ 07/06/15 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBleedingRed21
I don't see the issue personally. Make a game with attitude era stars and I'll buy it every year. Release it with bare minimum to none, I'll never buy.
The issue for me is that I care more about replicating what I see on TV today rather than repeatedly treading over old ground. Let me create my own moments with the current guys rather than replay - or let's be honest: rather than watch in cinematic cutscenes given how Showcase mode generally works - old ones. To that end, I expect that a fair amount of time went into Showcase mode for Austin's campaign, which is resources that subsequently can't be used for, say, expanding Universe mode or fleshing out MyCareer.

I'm probably in the minority on this one because I'm not really beholden to nostalgia, whereas a lot of wrestling's "IWC" audience is very much in that boat. I mean that not as a fault - not at all - but rather just an observation. The usual old-timer suspects like Shawn Michaels, The Rock, Undertaker, and Steve Austin, I want to see in there, sure. The Attitude Era mid card, like Val Venis, X-Pac, Godfather, Ken Shamrock, or whoever else? Not really moving the needle for me anymore.

That teaser trailer is pretty bad-***, though, I will admit.

# 11 jb12780 @ 07/06/15 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatorfan
We need a ruthless aggression mode. No attitude era. It would be fairly hard though because of the impact ****** made in the era but it will still be pretty cool though
Shhhhhhh.

# 12 bxphenom7 @ 07/06/15 10:29 AM
Quote:

This! If anything, there should be a mode focusing on history, and a normal story mode. I also hope they've put in a loy work into the career mode.

# 13 wiscowilz @ 07/06/15 10:33 AM
Quote:
The issue for me is that I care more about replicating what I see on TV today rather than repeatedly treading over old ground. Let me create my own moments with the current guys rather than replay - or let's be honest: rather than watch in cinematic cutscenes given how Showcase mode generally works - old ones. To that end, I expect that a fair amount of time went into Showcase mode for Austin's campaign, which is resources that subsequently can't be used for, say, expanding Universe mode or fleshing out MyCareer.

I'm probably in the minority on this one because I'm not really beholden to nostalgia, whereas a lot of wrestling's "IWC" audience is very much in that boat. I mean that not as a fault - not at all - but rather just an observation. The usual old-timer suspects like Shawn Michaels, The Rock, Undertaker, and Steve Austin, I want to see in there, sure. The Attitude Era mid card, like Val Venis, X-Pac, Godfather, Ken Shamrock, or whoever else? Not really moving the needle for me anymore.

I completely agree with you. I want a full current roster before a large old roster. I post my Universe on here and like the same thing you said with making my own moments for current superstars. If they continue to rely old guys it because the same game over and over because its old people.

# 14 Guapo516 @ 07/06/15 11:01 AM
Quote:

Idk about that, wrestling has been around for a long time, so there's plenty of storylines to pick from. I think as people we tend to think things start and end from the time we consume it to the time we're done with it.

Next year they could focus on a tag team. Then the year after, since they own wcw archive and ecw I believe, they could go into that bag and feature some of those crazy matches promoting different match types that never been seen by some on the wwf/wwe. There's so much for them to dig into that they can give you like 10 historic wrestling storylines a year while new storylines are being created to be used years later. And even if they run out they could just take it away, focus on the current stars, then feature it a few years later like its new again lol.

# 15 Guapo516 @ 07/06/15 11:09 AM
Quote:

I'm sure 2k is gonna give you a my player mode. There way to create story with in sport is what sets their sports brand aside from the other brands. Idk if it'll be this year or if they had it last year but I'm sure if they could do it with basketball they can and will do it with wrestling. I just think they like to deliver on gameplay before they focus on such a deep game mode. They will deliver a campaign like never before in a wrestling game. And if they can get the gameplay right I think they can make wrestling games more mainstream for those who don't even watch wrestling.

# 16 jb12780 @ 07/06/15 11:37 AM
I wonder if you will be able to shower the corporation with Steveweisers.

# 17 alifeincomplete @ 07/06/15 11:56 AM
While I agree that the gaming trend for this company -- cherrypicking what parts of their own history to tell (and revise...) -- will hit a point of diminishing returns (you're already at a point where your core demographic of kids, since this is a PG rated construct, weren't alive when Stone Cold was wrestling...), I personally enjoy the throwback to the Attitude Era. The trailer was cool.

# 18 Detroitfan4life1993 @ 07/06/15 11:57 AM
Hopefully he gets his vest in his entrance this time

# 19 BDKiiing @ 07/06/15 12:00 PM
I absolutely hate relying on the past. This is the 2016 edition not the 1996 edition. I would honestly be fine if there wasn't a single legend in the game, with Rock, Taker, and Austin being the exceptions. All the other old wrestlers I just never use. I want as complete of a current roster as possible, all the way down to the jobbers. I want as deep of an NXT roster as possible, as it's the best thing going in the western hemisphere. This year they had the perfect opportunity to utilize how white hot NXT is right now. Finn Balor just won the NXT championship, they could have capitalized on that. If I'm designing the cover, you go with a past, present, future theme. Have your Austin on there, but there's no excuse why Brock Lesnar is not on the cover, and Finn Balor should be as well. They should have had all three on there with Lesnar being front and center.

But whatever, it's just a cover, give me a full roster and a fairly deep NXT roster and I'll be buying the game without second guessing. But I'll damn sure not touch those legends.

# 20 Cowboy008 @ 07/06/15 12:06 PM
I think the cover looks good

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.