Home
Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR News Post

Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR is available today for Xbox One and PlayStation 4. We wanted to open a new discussion for those of you that didn't get a chance to try out the EA Access trial.

Get in a few rounds and post your impressions.

For those of you that have missed out on the recent news about the game, we've highlighted some of them below.For more news and media on the game, check out the Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR page.

Game: Rory McIlroy PGA TOURReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 12 - View All
Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR Videos
Member Comments
# 141 Klocker @ 07/15/15 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucerset
One thing I miss from previous versions is the ability to check your lie, or to be able to move around the green to judge breaks. I would like to play with the grid off but it's almost impossible to gauge the green and it's breaks with only one static view. Something I hope they reinstall in a future version.
Make a custom game play set up and Turn zoom on and only use it on the green. You can swing around with left stick and look at the green.

# 142 Br_Mac16 @ 07/15/15 01:43 AM
Impressions from a tour mode player who was afraid this was going to be too easy...

I must say from tee to green this is hands down the best ea sports title I have ever played. The ball flight looks really good and the ball does just as it should when it hits rough, sand, or fairway/greens. Even on tiger 14 I knew I had a chance to roll out of the rough into the fairway but that is definitely not the case here. Also, if you try hitting a long iron from deep rough you will not get the same result you got in previous ea golf games. Although, I will agree that hitting the fairway is too easy off the box but this game punishes you with your approaches.
First round at chambers bay using Jordan Spieth with every setting as difficult as possible: +12. I could not be happier with the game of golf that this title offers and that is exactly what I was hoping for because this is something that can be built upon.

Now for cons:
Putting is a head scratcher and just doesn't work well, I hope they can find a way to give a little more user feel to it because the game plays way too good for this to be an issue.
Tour mode: bare bones, we knew it would be but I don't think anyone expected this. But again, something that can be added to and tweaked to be made solid. The components are there. Hopefully this mode will be bolstered sooner or later.
Game modes: Again, hopefully something that can be addressed sooner than later. More is needed and Ihopefully they plan to deliver.
Courses: We all knew exactly how many there would be. There should be no surprises and there is definitely no need to gripe about it. The ones they have are beautiful and the ones they release will be too. This and career mode is probably where we will see the quickest growth I would imagine.

Final thoughts: except for the putting you really couldn't ask for this game to play better, more difficult from the tees, yes, but not better I'm am very excited to see what they do with this game and I am thrilled that I decided to stay with my ore order as I now have 9 licensed courses I can play in tour mode.
(Guy at game stop told me to download and install Scottsdale before starting a career or it wouldn't bring it into the career).
Thank you all for your thoughts, sorry for the length just wanted to get mine out there as well!

# 143 DHMN69 @ 07/15/15 01:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstapp123
Can you not zoom in on your upcoming shot. I can't see where I'm hitting the ball!
I miss hitting Y to look forward and at least having a better idea where I'm aiming.. the 'hole map' doesn't really help (me anyway)

# 144 Jambomakaveli @ 07/15/15 03:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
Any more impressions on the 3-click implementation? That's honestly what has me sold on the game. IMO it's still the best way to play golf games, old school or not.

I'm used to the swing stick, and thought I'd never play without that. I was struggling with the stick in this game.

Switched to 3 click and I'm really enjoying it.

If you stray slightly to the sides of the accuracy line then you'll go left and right accordingly. I have been in the sea, trees, rough etc.

Obviously I'd imagine within a day or two though you'll get the timing down, but I'd say there's always a bad shot coming with 3 click.

And the overpower is good with three swing, ie stopping it past the white meter at the top. Great on drives.

# 145 VTKombat @ 07/15/15 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHMN69
I miss hitting Y to look forward and at least having a better idea where I'm aiming.. the 'hole map' doesn't really help (me anyway)
You can still do this, if you want. Put zoom to ON in the settings.

# 146 Sportsworth @ 07/15/15 07:38 AM
What a joke this game is... Biggest waist of money I ever spent. Lack of features, horrendous gameplay, no way to practice putts which is an abomination. Creating a golfer is so bad and generic I can't believe I waisted money on this piece of S*** game. Its going back to GameStop today for a measly 27 bucks in trade in credit. I'm done with EAs bull****. Just a all around cheap lazy game. Anyone thinking of picking this up should STAY AWAY!

# 147 Barto @ 07/15/15 08:58 AM
Impressions after 3 rounds last night (2 at Sawgrass & 1 at Wetlands)

1. Enough with all the gosh darn dragon flies. Entirely too many on the screen
  2. I lipped out probably 10 putts that went through the hole because they had too much pace.
  3. The graphics fall somewhere in the middle between Old Gen and Next Gen in my opinion.
  4. The game is fun to play and i like the commentary so far
  5. Post putt animations need to be reined back for only important moments or when you are actually in contention (not 10 + shots back like i was)

# 148 jbd345 @ 07/15/15 09:03 AM
Wow, guess I'm in the minority here. I'm actually enjoying this game. It's golf what were some of you expecting? Call me an ea fan boy all you want. Sure this game can be better with patches and dlc. But for Right now I think it's pretty solid. For those who think the graphics look last gen, you should really get yourself to a doctor and get your eyes checked.

# 149 Barto @ 07/15/15 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbd345
Wow, guess I'm in the minority here. I'm actually enjoying this game. It's golf what were some of you expecting? Call me an ea fan boy all you want. Sure this game can be better with patches and dlc. But for Right now I think it's pretty solid. For those who think the graphics look last gen, you should really get yourself to a doctor and get your eyes checked.
I think the graphics look great, but it appears to be more of a remastered quality graphic rendering than a true next Gen title. We can agree to disagree, but when i play a game like Ryse Son of Rome or the Witcher, that is when i notice true Next Gen graphics.

Where you will really notice the lack of graphical power is during the watered down create a custom golfer portion of my career. That part is laughable when you compare it to other Next Gen games IMO.

The game is fun and it is solid, but as others have said, the game is unfortunately seriously lacking in many areas. Of all 5 of the issues i cited (less graphics), they don't take away my enjoyment of the game, they are simply things i would like to see improved to enhance the gameplay.

# 150 rmaccari @ 07/15/15 09:14 AM
The only way I get to make this game a challenge is using the control "three clicks" with the other alternatives I find all fairways.
That way I'm loving the game, although I prefer the control that was available in TW14.
EA must add more real coursos!!!!!!!

Sorry for my English.

# 151 cblake78 @ 07/15/15 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsworth
What a joke this game is... Biggest waist of money I ever spent. Lack of features, horrendous gameplay, no way to practice putts which is an abomination. Creating a golfer is so bad and generic I can't believe I waisted money on this piece of S*** game. Its going back to GameStop today for a measly 27 bucks in trade in credit. I'm done with EAs bull****. Just a all around cheap lazy game. Anyone thinking of picking this up should STAY AWAY!
HUGE waist...size 46, probably.

# 152 Chairman7w @ 07/15/15 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbd345
It's golf what were some of you expecting?
- To have more golfers to choose from
- To have more than 13 courses
- Instant replays
- The ability to turn off those ludicrous animations (sink a 3-footer, do a Moonwalk! Waitwot?)
- Online modes besides stroke/match play (where's the Skins? The Bingo-Bango-Bongo?)
- No wait times as advertised
- Not having bushes/trees-animals pop in
- Actual licenses tournaments (like previous versions of the game)
- To have a feature set equal to (or at least close) to the last-gen version
- To have true Next-Gen graphics
- A Tour calendar
- A good putting system
(I could go on)

Sports Gaming Universe game it 6/10
IGN (biggest EA shills on the planet) only gave it 5.5/10

It's... not good.

I'll say it again, I would have gladly paid $100 for a TW14 with updated graphics and no load times.

# 153 cblake78 @ 07/15/15 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman7w
- To have more golfers to choose from
- To have more than 13 courses
- To have a feature set equal to (or at least close) to the last-gen version
- To have true Next-Gen graphics

Sports Gaming Universe game it 6/10
IGN (biggest EA shills on the planet) only gave it 5.5/10

It's... not good.
I trust the developers in saying for us to "be patient" regarding updates/DLC...can't wait to see what they have in store.

# 154 kyle2525111 @ 07/15/15 09:52 AM
I tried playing the battlefield 4 course but it was very annoying because there was a bunch of Shadows on the green and I had no idea where the hole was. Also having the issue with always being slow and hitting the ball short.

# 155 Bruinboy @ 07/15/15 10:11 AM
Turned on the game last night to play Bay Hill. My wife, who watches golf every weekend, said, "Wow, that looks real." I play The Golf Club as well. Graphics are better on RM, IMHO. I like both versions, but prefer RM because of the ability to play on actual PGA tour stops.

I just hope the Devs come through on their promise to add content. It is somewhat bare bones, but fun right now as I build up my golfer. No regrets preordering/buying the game (PS4). Just bummed I have to work today so can't play again until this evening.

# 156 Barto @ 07/15/15 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinboy
Turned on the game last night to play Bay Hill. My wife, who watches golf every weekend, said, "Wow, that looks real." I play The Golf Club as well. Graphics are better on RM, IMHO. I like both versions, but prefer RM because of the ability to play on actual PGA tour stops.

I just hope the Devs come through on their promise to add content. It is somewhat bare bones, but fun right now as I build up my golfer. No regrets preordering/buying the game (PS4). Just bummed I have to work today so can't play again until this evening.
I feel the same. The graphics are pretty good and the game plays well IMO. Luckily for me i am bald (i shave my head), so i was able to create a near life life version of myself in the game.

I think if the developers add a few minor tweaks here and there to the game, offer more created and PGA tour stop courses, then i'll be happy.

# 157 Anakin19732001 @ 07/15/15 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTKombat
You can still do this, if you want. Put zoom to ON in the settings.
So hitting zoom takes you from the tee with the sweeping camera view to zoom in to the course where you want to hit the ball? My only real complaint last night was not being able to see where exactly my ball would land.

Also... I am having trouble with understanding a full swing power versus a swing where I dont need full power. Is the circle on the bottom middle of the screen the indicator to start your back swing/ front swing???

# 158 ObviouslyConnor @ 07/15/15 11:15 AM
I was able to hop on last night to play a bit before bed. I can honestly say that I enjoyed it. I realize it is missing quite a bit of stuff, but I'm holding out hope that EA releases some content later on. I also nailed a hole in one with Spieth very first round at Chambers Bay! The fact that you don't have to wait for loading between holes is also awesome. I flew through a 18 hole round doing every hole and it took maybe 20 minutes. Will get into it a lot more the next few days but I was happy with it. No game is ever gonna be perfect but as someone who just likes to watch and play some golf I had a blast.

# 159 cdawg44 @ 07/15/15 11:18 AM
So far I am really enjoying this game Tee to green, but good God I hate the putting in the game. I'm playing on Tour Pro since it feels so much more natural to me for shaping shots and love how the ball reacts to what I'm doing and the things I try. But the play on and around the greens just is a mess to me. Perhaps I need more time with the game, but yeah that is almost a deal breaker for me

# 160 saucerset @ 07/15/15 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdawg44
So far I am really enjoying this game Tee to green, but good God I hate the putting in the game. I'm playing on Tour Pro since it feels so much more natural to me for shaping shots and love how the ball reacts to what I'm doing and the things I try. But the play on and around the greens just is a mess to me. Perhaps I need more time with the game, but yeah that is almost a deal breaker for me
I think one of the issues with the putting is the sensitivity when the ball reaches the hole. I've seen quite a few putts over 10' hit the hole dead on and go right over it, and not even at a fast speed. I know in previous versions you could rifle the ball at the hole and it would go in, but it is way to sensitive now and needs to be adjusted down a bit. (but that is just one of the issues with putting..lol)

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.