Home
Madden NFL 16 News Post

EA Sports has released more Madden NFL 16 ratings. Below are the top 6 quarterbacks in Madden NFL 16, more ratings on these players can be seen here.
  • Aaron Rodgers (99 OVR)
  • Tom Brady (97 OVR)
  • Drew Brees (95 OVR)
  • Ben Roethlisberger (95 OVR)
  • Andrew Luck (94 OVR)
  • Tony Romo (93 OVR) - (via NFL)
Previously released Madden NFL 16 player ratings:

Madden NFL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Madden NFL 16Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 24 - View All
Madden NFL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 DCEBB2001 @ 07/24/15 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir psycho
Nobody is saying he magically got worse at playing football. The "top 5" that is being discussed is based purely on the OVR rating, which as Dan said, isn't a reflection of his ability. His attributes(which are a reflection of his abilities) haven't gotten worse and he will still perform as a top QB. His OVR will take a hit from the suspension, because that's the way these ratings work, but in no way does it effect how good he is or how he will perform.

Or I could be totally misunderstanding everything and you can ignore my post.

You are totally correct. It is just a hold on the OVR. Like I expressed earlier as a simple equation:

OVR Grade (scouting) = Sum of abilities - Holds

If the holds are zero, then the OVR is simply the sum of the abilities. The abilities DO NOT CHANGE. Brady, or anyone else for that matter, will play the exact same way with or without the holds applied to the OVR score. That is how the scouts do it, so that is how I do it.

Do you want a more accurate game or not when it comes to rating players?

# 122 Sheba2011 @ 07/24/15 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah...THAT Guy

If the season had ended after just half a season, you would have thought Peyton was top 3 and Brady was hitting the wall. The NFL season is very fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
After half a season last year Brady had 18 TD's against 2 int's and only had two games where he had a QBR below 90. Both of those int's came against KC, his worst game. If that is "hitting the wall" you have some lofty standards for a QB.

# 123 Yeah...THAT Guy @ 07/24/15 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba2011
After half a season last year Brady had 18 TD's against 2 int's and only had two games where he had a QBR below 90. Both of those int's came against KC, his worst game. If that is "hitting the wall" you have some lofty standards for a QB.

Alright relax lol. My point was that play fluctuates throughout the NFL season. Brady didn't look the same the first 4 games or so and I believe the same sort of thing happened the year before. Peyton was great and then fell apart relatively speaking down the stretch as he dealt with his injuries.

I understand being more skeptical about Peyton given his injuries and the way he looked by the end of the year but he still had a great year overall and could easily do the same again.

# 124 DCEBB2001 @ 07/24/15 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshake8
What you're describing makes perfect sense in the real world. It's great logic backed by data.

In the Madden world? Not so much. When the game comes out, if Brady is rated in the 70's overall, I could trade a 2nd round draft pick for him.

You're using the overall as a production grade, and that's an over simplification. It does more than that. It has many uses in the game, and is important. If Tom Brady is an 97 rated QB, he should be 97 rated QB whether he's allowed to play the first few games or not. That overall should reflect his abilities, not his availability. They should be 2 completely different things.

In order to implement what you're suggesting, they would need to change A LOT of things in Madden. Now, honestly, they do need to change a lot, but we need to have realistic expectations here.

And fwiw, this is coming from someone who hates how they've rated players, and hates the way the overall is calculated. I really like what you're trying to achieve, but I don't agree with this specific example. I don't think overall, value, and production should be rounded into one number.

What needs to happen, and you can bet I would push for if they hire me, is very complex. It would take hours to decipher and flush out entirely. I want to mimic real life when it comes to rating players. I have done that with FBG. A simple way around the logic is to make the CPU determine value based upon the attribute product alone under the hood. That isn't that hard to do, IMO. Make the logic based on the attribute product section of that equation alone. Problem solved. Now when you realize that it will take more than a 2nd rounder to get a guy that is essentially a 98 OVR, you have added some risk on the user's behalf to pursue said prospect. If I see a player with a 72 OVR and it is taking 3 first rounders to get him, I know that something is holding him back. Look at his hold value and you see he is under suspension. Now, I have to risk trading for a guy who won't be 100% available.

That is what we want. That is what GMs do. Stop trying to make everything so darn cut and dry with one number. That is why I favor getting rid of the ability to see the OVR rating. Leave that under the hood. If you have a player who is under suspension, it SHOULD be easier to acquire him, especially if the value is right. Keep this in mind, though, the average player is rated about 45 in the database. A QB with a rating of 72 is pro-bowl caliber. It would take more than a 2nd rounder to get him in the first place if the proper trade logic is in place. No doubt it needs to be reworked first, but it could work out just fine.

To me, a players value SHOULD reflect his ability AND availability. How useful is a player who is a 99 overall but is suspended indefinitely? How valuable is a player who is a 26 overall and is fully available. How about a 26 overall AND suspended indefinitely? Injured even? It DOES matter.

Like I said before, if the attributes are the same regardless, then why not include it? Again, how accurate of a game do we want here?

# 125 The JareBear @ 07/24/15 12:05 PM
Whether people agree with your ratings or not I hope everyone appreciates your passion, Dan. You clearly put a lot of time into this.

Your transparency and willingness to calmly and constructively discuss criticism or praise towards your system is refreshing. If you were hired by Tiburon, that it by itself would be instant improvement, not to mention the reality based ratings you would bring.

# 126 Sheba2011 @ 07/24/15 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah...THAT Guy
Alright relax lol. My point was that play fluctuates throughout the NFL season. Brady didn't look the same the first 4 games or so and I believe the same sort of thing happened the year before. Peyton was great and then fell apart relatively speaking down the stretch as he dealt with his injuries.

I understand being more skeptical about Peyton given his injuries and the way he looked by the end of the year but he still had a great year overall and could easily do the same again.

Theoretically anyone can have a good year but unless Peyton finds the fountain of youth I dont see it happening. He looked terrible at the end of last season, he looked like a 39 year old QB. Nothing against him it happens to all the greats. And with a very tough schedule this year I see it ending the same way. Denvers best shot was 2013 and they blew it.

# 127 The JareBear @ 07/24/15 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba2011
Theoretically anyone can have a good year but unless Peyton finds the fountain of youth I dont see it happening. He looked terrible at the end of last season, he looked like a 39 year old QB. Nothing against him it happens to all the greats. And with a very tough schedule this year I see it ending the same way. Denvers best shot was 2013 and they blew it.
Agreed.

All people need to do is look at every single loss the Broncos have had during Mannings tenure. Admittedly, and to his credit, there aren't that many, and that's why it's easy for me to remember them all, but they all look look the same. People thought that Sesttle exposed something in the SB, but it had already been exposed. Every defense that has beaten Manning the last three years did the same thing. They don't worry about the deep ball. They sit in the middle-intermediate zones in front of Manning and dare him to throw deep. Guys like Rodgers or Ben can have options 1, 2, and 3 break down, create time with their legs, improvise and throw a strike 50+ yards downfield on the fly. Manning can't do that. Manning can only throw deep if he's decided that's what he's looking to pre-snap and get everything into it. He just struggles to push the ball downfield, plain and simple. A lot of times he throws an ugly pass that DT or Sanders just make a play on and do the rest of the work.

Honestly, the ratings themselves not be accurate but the order is fine with me. It's too bad that a Mannings intangibles won't help me from a user controlled perspective, but I will try my best to get whatever I can from him

# 128 ANDROMADA 1 @ 07/24/15 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSportsGamer1984
Luck is a little overrated. Not sure if he's top 5 just yet. Still throws too many pics. On the other hand, Russell Wilson is severely underrated smh. Not saying he's top 5 but he's close. His awareness is arguably the best in the league.
Wilson is so aware that he did not audible to a run play from the 1/2 yard line in the big game. Wilson isn't asked to do much either. Severely underrated? I don't think so. He is top ten though.

# 129 DCEBB2001 @ 07/24/15 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshake8
Okay, I think I see where the misunderstanding has been occuring. I was under the impression you wanted to apply your ratings to Madden. You want apply your ratings to a completely different football game that doesn't exist yet.

I'd love to see something as you've described it, but I fear we're a long way away from that. I think they'd have to skip a year in order to implement what your suggesting. The CPU logic would need to be revamped in almost every area.

The only thing I still disagree with is including value in the overall calculation. The overall calculation should only reflect his skills (basically, as if the player was completely healthy and available). This "skill rating" should then be included in his "value rating". Not the other way around. And I think being able to see the overall is important. If a GM wants to sign or trade a player, you'd have to assume that he knows what his overall skill set is due to film and scouting.

No, I want to include this in Madden. If they bring me in, I am going to push for it. Plain and simple.

The skill rating is already a part of the equation for his value.

Total value = attributes - holds

It's simple. If you take out the holds, all you have is the attribute value being equal to the total value as a player. But, since players get injured, we have to have holds for injuries. Scouts use this criteria to also place holds for suspensions.

What you want is this:

Total value = attributes

The attributes in my equation are already in there. I just added a field for holds due to injury or suspension because that is how the scouting data does it.

The skill rating IS the total value rating, plus or minus any holds in the scouting system. You can, of course, show both values to the user.

Tom Brady
OVR 72
Skills (attribute value) 97
Holds (suspension) -25

A team will likely be more willing to trade a player with a large suspension hold or injury hold than not. However, since the skills value is so large that it even makes him a great overall prospect with the holds included, the likelihood of him being traded is still pretty darn low.

# 130 bmj2k7 @ 07/24/15 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEBB2001
No, I want to include this in Madden. If they bring me in, I am going to push for it. Plain and simple.

The skill rating is already a part of the equation for his value.

Total value = attributes - holds

It's simple. If you take out the holds, all you have is the attribute value being equal to the total value as a player. But, since players get injured, we have to have holds for injuries. Scouts use this criteria to also place holds for suspensions.

What you want is this:

Total value = attributes

The attributes in my equation are already in there. I just added a field for holds due to injury or suspension because that is how the scouting data does it.

The skill rating IS the total value rating, plus or minus any holds in the scouting system. You can, of course, show both values to the user.

Tom Brady
OVR 72
Skills (attribute value) 97
Holds (suspension) -25

A team will likely be more willing to trade a player with a large suspension hold or injury hold than not. However, since the skills value is so large that it even makes him a great overall prospect with the holds included, the likelihood of him being traded is still pretty darn low.
Yeah but the way its going the suspension will be 0 games. There already in talks trying to get it down to a fine. Not only that is he gets even 1 game, they take it to court and the NFLPA already stated there going after Goodell to strip him of his ability to suspend anyone again. Bc they mishandled the investigation basically every way possible and in a court Brady wont get any games, maybe nothing the way its going. The NFL can't risk losing power to someone else, so he probably serves no games.

# 131 DCEBB2001 @ 07/24/15 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmj2k7
Yeah but the way its going the suspension will be 0 games. There already in talks trying to get it down to a fine. Not only that is he gets even 1 game, they take it to court and the NFLPA already stated there going after Goodell to strip him of his ability to suspend anyone again. Bc they mishandled the investigation basically every way possible and in a court Brady wont get any games, maybe nothing the way its going. The NFL can't risk losing power to someone else, so he probably serves no games.
And if/when that happens, guess what the scouts will likely do to suspension hold?

Keep in mind that they try to guess as little as possible, and only grade players off of the current facts.

# 132 iLLWiLL @ 07/24/15 03:31 PM
DB, question about your ratings -- when you say that Kaepernick is a 77, and Peyton Manning is a 73, you're not actually saying Kaep is a better QB than Peyton are you? Will this actually make the game play with Kaep as the better QB and Peyton less of a factor in his team's wins & losses? We all know Peyton is as valuable to this Broncos team's success as any player in the league.

# 133 FedExPope @ 07/24/15 03:37 PM
Romo at 93. Good one, Tiburon.

# 134 DCEBB2001 @ 07/24/15 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLWiLL
DB, question about your ratings -- when you say that Kaepernick is a 77, and Peyton Manning is a 73, you're not actually saying Kaep is a better QB than Peyton are you? Will this actually make the game play with Kaep as the better QB and Peyton less of a factor in his team's wins & losses? We all know Peyton is as valuable to this Broncos team's success as any player in the league.
It's all based on the talent of the player. Manning has huge deficiencies compared to Kaepernick in Arm strength, running ability, and injury. However, Manning has major gains over Kaepernick in just about every other category. Really, it comes down to the value of each in the OVR calculation. In Madden, arm strength is paramount, so having a lesser arm but having a good release will mean less than having a crappy release with a great arm. Get it?

Manning has an injury hold of 1.4, which is one of the biggest I have seen. I think that after he plays and camp opens that will be modified and his total OVR will go up, but I won't know for sure until it happens.

# 135 lowndsy @ 07/25/15 04:28 AM
Dan,
Maybe in a separate thread you could do top 5 attributes per position and top 5 players for each ie top 5 QB in on actual used ability thp, awr, maybe a top 5 of each ability would show that yes kaep is rated higher than some as his sod is 90 and manninged is 5, does not make kaep better QB but gives him better Ovr.

Hope I explained myself!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.