Home
NBA 2K16 News Post

Mike Wang, Gameplay Director for NBA 2K16 mentioned on Twitter that green releases are much rarer in NBA 2K16 and they will no longer be 100%.

He also mentions the following (in post #22):

Quote:
There have been battles even internally over missed green releases, especially now that they're so hard to get. I really think it's an unsolvable problem. The best news I can give you is that our shots engineer has made just about every knob I use to tune shooting modifiable on the server side post release just like a roster update. So if there's something the community isn't happy with I can tweak the system and update your games without the need for a patch. So what happened with patch 4 last year will never happen again.

UPDATE: Mike has chimed in on this topic with more details, to clear up any confusion (post #211)

Quote:
Let me clear up a few things as there's a lot of speculation going on right now. This is why I hate Twitter. But anyway...

I have not removed "user skill." There's still a great deal of weight applied to shot timing. So knowing your players' releases is still a key success factor. It's just that shot quality is much more important this year so you have to take good shots.

For those wondering how we made green releases more rare. It's done based on shot %. So if you take a low quality shot, you basically won't be able to achieve an excellent release. As your shot quality improves, the window for an excellent release grows. So again... take good shots.

Last year, green releases were meant to be 100%. If you saw one miss, that was a bug. A good bug... but a bug nonetheless. This year, the shot bonus for greens is still pretty high and it's based on the shot %. So the higher the %, the greater the excellent timing boost. This is basically how our shot system has always worked, I just tuned it. It's kind of a mix between what we had in 14 and 15. And yes, it does kind of suck to miss a green release, but over time, it feels right. Still, I might tweak the system after getting more feedback from everyone... but nobody is really complaining about it internally.

And why don't we just remove the shot meter? Too many people like it and it's still a valuable tool. Not everyone has the time (or desire) to memorize the shot timing for hundreds of players in the league. And if you like to play with lots of teams, or just want to experiment with a new team, the shot meter is very helpful. You can always turn it off if you want.

Last thing, we CAN tune offline differently from online. So I'll be monitoring feedback closely once you guys have the game to make sure everybody's happy.

He also added this on Twitter...

Quote:
New Shot Meter option for #NBA2K16 called "Feedback Only." Meter won't draw while shooting, only after release to show how close you were.

Game: NBA 2K16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 45 - View All
NBA 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 pimp2k4 @ 08/11/15 11:29 PM
Will be starting my career as a kid look at the video I watched the shadow grow!

# 142 MoneyOvaHuds @ 08/12/15 12:10 AM
Video talking about the new shot http://youtu.be/4BPWyrPp2Fo

# 143 Jrocc23 @ 08/12/15 12:17 AM
Spoiler

I am sorry, but you're wrong. I've been playing 2K since dreamcast and got more hours in on 2K15. Defense isn't really hard to play offline, but online it's way tougher than it should be because of the lag input, silly defensive animations and etc. People shouldn't even have a problem defending someone going left to right. I mean, c'mon. And I've been playing this game for the longest and it's a pain to guard. They all do the same type of moves and you still can rarely guard it:

They are either doing a size up, run left to right, behind the back left to the right, stepback stepback stepback, behind the back left run left behind the back right. All in the same possession lol. If you can keep up with that, and get the contest animation, it's still most likely going in with someone that mastered the shot + deadeye + being 7'+. This is Park and Rec but regular games are a little more fair, but it's still hard to keep up with the offensive player.

You can't defend patch 4. It was horrible. It was much much better before that patch. People rarely even took 3s like that, but now you can give a open lane for a layup and they'll turn around just to go to the 3pt line lmao. You play the park, you see the type of shots even the worst players make. Before the patch, you could even sag off some players, now people are money. Especially from midrange. People don't even really shoot mid but try to drive and accidentally shoot or do a leaning shot and you know it's good. Don't even lie bro. You know it is. That's fake and it's a problem. And it goes for layups, post fades all of that.

And this is just not Park or Rec. It happens in MC on HOF Rondo hitting 3s and other cats that can't even shoot, most definitely MyTeam but that's the easiest mode in the game, and etc. The defense was already not that good because of the lag input but that patch made offense that much more favored. You can't just keep dismissing people as "casuals" because they don't agree or don't have as many hours in the game as you. Some people know how to play defense and mostly everyone know these things are issues. Patch #4 was definitely a problem lol.

# 144 Sundown @ 08/12/15 02:02 AM
More difficult greens and them not being 100% is exactly what I want. There should always be some uncertainty during the green release.

Greens should exist only as feedback, not a video gamey gimmick that turns basketball into an obsessve pursuit of getting some colored circle to appear.

# 145 Taer @ 08/12/15 02:47 AM
Wow, this thread has been derailed! Even more than usual in OS threads.

Getting back on track, here are the points that I'm happy to see being made:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
... The best news I can give you is that our shots engineer has made just about every knob I use to tune shooting modifiable on the server side post release just like a roster update. So if there's something the community isn't happy with I can tweak the system and update your games without the need for a patch. So what happened with patch 4 last year will never happen again.
The more fine tuning that can be done without patching the more I am ok with the tuning in the first place. Unfortunately, there is going to be some tuning needed whatever the initial choices made. Making the ability to do this easier and faster is a good thing, no matter your position on the original argument.

I find myself agreeing with LD2K: A shot taken, no matter the circumstances should never be guaranteed to make or miss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LD2k
... I'd argue it takes away from the drama of the in-game intensity and takes away from the anticipation of whether or not you're going to make or miss. I like the adjustment, personally.
I get that people want to be rewarded for proper playing. The issues arise when people's expectations are set at the Space-Jam level for success verses a realistic level resulting in real-world stats.

LD2K and the relations team really need to be out among the casuals setting the proper expectations. An argument between 2 OS-level sim-head geeks is much different than that between a super-casual play for immediate reward user and a sim-head.

# 146 Ownal0t @ 08/12/15 03:07 AM
Isn't jhawk a avid defender of 2k? I've gotten that vibe in most of the topics I seen him post in. It's never the game fault, but is urs instead type of guy?

LOL at people complainin about the new shot system. Did these people start with 2k15? A + EXCELLENT shots iirc in the past were always green, and they missed. This would be like going back to the old days . I don't see why people are really mad but this, I told some people I play with the news and they been crying rivers all night. Lol

# 147 Jrocc23 @ 08/12/15 03:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownal0t
Isn't jhawk a avid defender of 2k? I've gotten that vibe in most of the topics I seen him post in. It's never the game fault, but is urs instead type of guy?

LOL at people complainin about the new shot system. Did these people start with 2k15? A + EXCELLENT shots iirc in the past were always green, and they missed. This would be like going back to the old days . I don't see why people are really mad but this, I told some people I play with the news and they been crying rivers all night. Lol

I pretty much agree but it's not like the old days necessarily. You could get green a lot easier but still miss even air ball.

But from what I am reading, it'll be very hard to get green basically making me feel like I am missing my release. But, I guess we'll see how it is. Can't be no worse than it is now.

# 148 jeebs9 @ 08/12/15 06:32 AM
Thank god...

# 149 ballstreet2k @ 08/12/15 07:04 AM
I'm ok with the direction 2K is taking*, but I need to know a whole lot more before I can say I'm happy or not.

It's good that greens are "more rare", but it depends on what "more rare" means. I think it should depend on the shot quality. A catch and shoot corner 3 with lots of space should be an easy green. A dribble pull up with two defenders jumping at you should be pretty damn hard/impossible to get a green. That's the right "more rare". The "more rare" where a green is always available, just harder to time, is wrong.

And it's good that a green is "not 100%", but it depends on what "not 100%" means. I think it should depend on the ratings. A Kyle Korver getting a green should mean it's highly likely to go in. A Kendrick Perkins getting a green should mean it's still likely to miss. That's the right "not 100%". The "not 100%" where the game "rolls a die" and makes you hit the edge of the backboard on an open shot with a green release taken by a top shooter in the league, is wrong.

*the possibility to fine tune shooting mechanics without an official patch is the real great news here

# 150 blues rocker @ 08/12/15 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
I agree, but I guess we need to just get into the mindset that the shot meter is now nothing but a timing mechanism to get the best chance of a shot to fall. I'll probably end up turning it off in 2k16, as it really serves no point to anything but assisting on timing with weird shooting animations like Shaq free throws or MKG ugly shots.

I think they should tone down the green releases to a small margin and still make them 100%. Perhaps throw in a different color for slight misses.

I'll end up getting used to this, as I always do with changes in sports games, but right now it disappoints me that these changes seem to be made exclusively due to the online audience.
in my opinion the shot meter SHOULD be nothing more than a timing mechanism. no shot should be %100 guaranteed, especially if it's contested. you shouldn't be able to make a heavily contested shot %100 of the time just because you timed the release right. release timing should be a small factor in the success of the shot - instead the MAIN factor in shot success should be the QUALITY of the shot (how open the player is, how much time and space he had to get the shot off, whether or not the shot came from a clean pass that blended well into his shooting motion, etc. - all of these things should be more important to success than release timing).

# 151 2_headedmonster @ 08/12/15 09:07 AM
'Green releases' from their inception were a bad idea.

In the history of games anything that required timing, someone has mastered. Knowing that, the subsequent fall out about the releases should have been totally expected. Actually i said something to this effect in the impressions thread when i got the game early.

They need to simply have 'great releases' that optimize a players percentage vs the shot circumstances.

# 152 Jhawkfootball06 @ 08/12/15 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownal0t
Because it's a game. The whole point of going against somebody in a game is to beat them. If somebody beats you that means they are better than you. But people who don't take account for their own actions like to start blaming the game instead of getting better.

It's that simple.

# 153 Magnus1959 @ 08/12/15 10:08 AM
Why do I get the feeling they went way too far keeping anyone from getting off a decent shot? That's usually the way it goes when people complain too much.

# 154 HowDareI @ 08/12/15 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhawkfootball06
Because it's a game. The whole point of going against somebody in a game is to beat them. If somebody beats you that means they are better than you. But people who don't take account for their own actions like to start blaming the game instead of getting better.

It's that simple.
Just saying....

But do you know how many absolute cheeseballs have said that word for word?

Yes, the point is to win by any means. But when your whole game is abusing exploits that have made it through the patches I refuse to respect it and be called "worse" than that.

# 155 JHall22 @ 08/12/15 10:41 AM
A SIM game shouldn't have anything that's 100%, greens shouldn't have ever been 100%. I've seen dudes that use LAs shot and make 95% of 3's contested or not. It's not skill there using, there using a shot that you literally just have to tap square. I don't like using LA's shot because of that reason. Yeah I hit nearly everything but its no fun.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

# 156 Jhawkfootball06 @ 08/12/15 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDareI
Just saying....

But do you know how many absolute cheeseballs have said that word for word?

Yes, the point is to win by any means. But when your whole game is abusing exploits that have made it through the patches I refuse to respect it and be called "worse" than that.
The problem is that these "exploits" you talk about vary from person to person. Highly skilled players who can defend do not consider them exploits. People who can't defend do consider them exploits.

For example, I've had messages from people saying I exploit the paint too much. I've had messages from people saying I exploit the three too much.

If I pass it down low to Dwight Howard and you immediately jump every single time, of course I'm going to blow past you and get a dunk. If you are leaving Curry wide open every single possession, of course I'm going to shoot a lot of threes with him.

People think these are exploits, when instead it's just bad defense on their end.

# 157 Jhawkfootball06 @ 08/12/15 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdudesheff
The most exciting thing about that screenshot is the fact that there's a new type of beard for MyPlayer, not just the Harden type one. Oh yeah.....the green release stuff is cool too
The screenshot on page 1 is from NBA 2K15.

# 158 AceDawg5 @ 08/12/15 11:27 AM
Very surprised this hasn't really been touched on, but I think the issue is Mike and the team are tweaking shooting globally. When we all know shooting online vs. offline is 100% completely different. I'm a 95% offline player and the few times I did go online I couldn't believe ppl actually play those modes primarily, because it's literally like playing a different game.

You cannot tune shooting for both to be the same. This is why patch 4 failed so badly. Offline shooting before patch 4 was fine, online had major issues (based on the complaints I saw here). For me, I was having the BEST games in my 2k life in my Bulls MyLeague. I'm talking double ot games, buzzer beaters, u name it. Competition was great. Patch 4 ruined all of it and I traded the game in 2 weeks later.

If they truly want to satisfy both groups they have to separate online shooting and offline shooting. Because "fixing" 1 only ruins the other.

# 159 MoneyOvaHuds @ 08/12/15 11:33 AM
I seen people thinking this is really stupid making the shot meter pointless . I guess people don't understand that just because you get a perfect release doesn't mean 98% of the shot should go in , should just mean the timing was right but more so ratings should factor the most of all . But i do kind of like the meter to be gone or at least come out the box with it off universal with the ability to cut it on .

# 160 b1baller @ 08/12/15 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyOvaHuds
I seen people thinking this is really stupid making the shot meter pointless . I guess people don't understand that just because you get a perfect release doesn't mean 98% of the shot should go in , should just mean the timing was right but more so ratings should factor the most of all . But i do kind of like the meter to be gone or at least come out the box with it off universal with the ability to cut it on .
Exactly my thoughts. Shot rating is key, not your release timing.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.