Home
NHL 16 News Post

The trial version of NHL 16 is available now (a day early) for EA Access subscribers. To start the download process, open up the EA Access hub, scroll over to NHL 16, click View in Store and download the trial.

For those of you that can download it, play a few games and let us know what you think!

REMINDER: You get 10 hours of gameplay, so make sure you exit out of the game if you are not playing. Don't pause and lose those precious minutes.

Game: NHL 16Reader Score: Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 0 - View All
NHL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 actionhank @ 09/11/15 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieB
Sounds like there's little to no penalties called this year. That's not a true hockey experience. No buy from me unless they fix this.
The penalty thing might be my biggest frustration. I don't see how they haven't fixed that yet.

# 142 bad_philanthropy @ 09/11/15 01:45 PM
A few fixes needed so far then:

-Game speed frame rate problem (anyone test other sliders to see if they cause problems? Like acceleration for instance?)

-Penalties need increasing (remember they patched this a few years ago and it was great after)

-editing player causes the draft position on their player card to be listed as first overall

# 143 ComaFaction @ 09/11/15 03:04 PM
My online observations after 7 games of HUT and 4 ranked Versus:

Frustrating!!! I'm not sure if others are experiencing this, but it feels like I'm trying to turn around a school. bus when I start controlling a player. Add to this fact that pucks still don't get picked up and it leads to players just skating around loose pucks spamming A AND RB.
Which was a colossal problem in all my games. I was just assaulted with multiple pokes and sticklifts any.time I touched the puck. I would often lose it before I could even get my luck handler moving.
Also, I would say 10 of my 11 games were defending the exact same move over and over... Come down the wing and spin back, deke into the slot and either shoot back across the goalie or pass a cross crease. Guys did this regularly on 3 on 1s! Eventually they would bounce off a check or I would mess up and bang...goal. In fact I'm not sure if I saw a single goal outside of that scenario.

In closing, I had almost zero fun online...perhaps I just don't have the patience to deal with that nonsense, but I can't imagine I'm the only one noticing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 144 MizzouRah @ 09/11/15 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
Some good, but it still seems like every goal I give up, no matter how hard I try to stop it, is the CPU one timers from the slot. It's absolutely ridiculous that Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook are too stupid to cover the backside winger.

This game just really feels scripted to me. We've all been there when the CPU goes berserk with the unrealistic passing speeds and one timers. Just like FIFA, I never feel like the goals I give up are because of bad matchups or tactics. It's always because it's time for a goal.

I haven't played a lot of NHL, but I have played a ton of FIFA over the years, and I get the same feeling as I play NHL. The "oh boy here it comes" feeling.

These devs just can't program a smart CPU with adaptive AI. The CPU "adapts" when the ratings get juiced. I will also add that this does happen for the USER.

The FIFA and NHL teams try way too hard to create the "holy ****" moments of late goals and it is painfully obvious.

Next gen graphics, great player movement, good presentation, and old school cheesy AI. Pathetic.
I don't get that feeling at all, but I've played the NHL series more than any other console series. I've had games of 4-2, 4-3, 5-0, 4-1, 6-4, etc.. the only time I feel like the CPU team is putting on the pressure late in a game is when they have me hemmed in because they changed up their tactics and my guys are tired. I never feel like a game is scripted.

My last game I beat Edmonton 5-0 and there were no goals in the 3rd period. The AI will always need work, but I do feel like my AI teammates are at least a bit more competent this year as they at least get their sticks out to block passes and try to stay in front of the net to block that one timer pass. You just have to make sure if you are controlling a player, you don't get suckered into the corners with another AI player, leaving someone free to take a shot.

# 145 jyoung @ 09/11/15 03:47 PM
Is anybody else getting input lag during EASHL games? I just tried a 6 vs. 6 drop in game and was experiencing the same input lag that was present in the EASHL Beta on PS4.

# 146 Arrowhead21 @ 09/11/15 04:07 PM
did they fix the issue where bringing up the manual line change would render the user unable to poke check on defense?

# 147 canucksss @ 09/11/15 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GROGtheNailer
After reading through this thread, I will not be getting the game. Seems like the same historic issues with the gameplay AI once again.

Somehow I am in the same boat as you, but inside of me still having some hope. For sure, I am not going to get this game on first day. I'll wait for the patch/tune-up and some people's observations (those who play and looking for the same thing as me) before buying it. For now, I'll be pre-ordering NBA 2k16.

Thank you for all those honestly posting their observations.

# 148 ComaFaction @ 09/11/15 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead21
did they fix the issue where bringing up the manual line change would render the user unable to poke check on defense?

Yes they did. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 149 kt-od @ 09/11/15 06:22 PM
I'm glad I have EA access so it can save me $60. This was the first NHL game I planned on buying since 2010. Skating, graphics and arenas look amazing. You can tell a difference in talent right away.

However, what was the end for me was when I had a defender pinned on the boards in my zone and he kicked a pass towards the crease to the winger for a goal. This was no ordinary kick though. The speed was as if it came off his stick. I had to LOL.

I'll finish my 10 hrs with the game and be done with it.

Also, the presentation is cool since I really haven't played a hockey game in years, but it would get stale for me after awhile.

# 150 jyoung @ 09/11/15 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic04
I was getting input lag in changing players in Online VS on Wednesday but haven't played since, also the passing seems weird & off this year ?
In the drop in game I played today, it was pretty much impossible to do anything when the puck was on my stick because I had about a half-second delay between when I pressed a button and when it registered on screen. The PS4 Beta was like this, too, but only in about 6 or 7 of the 50ish games I played.

I've heard people speculating that drop in games aren't region restricted right now? Some Americans and Canadians are getting matched up with people in Europe, apparently? The online play in this series has always been setup so that everyone's online performance is only as good as the weakest connection in the group session, which is done to prevent synching issues.

# 151 jyoung @ 09/11/15 07:08 PM
I also captured all of the awards, player stats, and team stats from the season I simulated where it was Anaheim and Tampa in the Stanley Cup Finals:

Some of the backup goalies were strangely successful, and Pavel Datsyuk destroyed the rest of the league in takeaways, but other than that, everything looks alright.

# 152 brandon27 @ 09/11/15 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kt-od
I'm glad I have EA access so it can save me $60. This was the first NHL game I planned on buying since 2010. Skating, graphics and arenas look amazing. You can tell a difference in talent right away.

However, what was the end for me was when I had a defender pinned on the boards in my zone and he kicked a pass towards the crease to the winger for a goal. This was no ordinary kick though. The speed was as if it came off his stick. I had to LOL.

Also, the presentation is cool since I really haven't played a hockey game in years, but it would get stale for me after awhile.
Thank god I'm not the only person that's seen this. I thought it was just me.

That's one of those instances I've been referring to as the superman AI kicking in. You can tell, you can see it and feel it when it's happening. Just put down the controller and let it happen is about all u can do. Theyre going to score, no matter what.

It's sad, because the game plays really well up until those moments IMO.

# 153 18 eighty 5 @ 09/11/15 08:58 PM
If they can the team behind developing the EA NHL series should take a good investigative look at Rocket League and take note of how organic, unscripted and free flowing the gameplay is. Seriously, though that game isn't hockey it kills NHL is these areas and makes for a sporting experience the NHL game hasn't yet reached. Whilst Rocket League is available NHL 16 is not appealing (I have nhl 15 on the shelf and there isn't enough separation between the new game and last to warrant an investment). I'll get my hockey fix playing Rocket League.

# 154 jaiman @ 09/11/15 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18 eighty 5
If they can the team behind developing the EA NHL series should take a good investigative look at Rocket League and take note of how organic, unscripted and free flowing the gameplay is. Seriously, though that game isn't hockey it kills NHL is these areas and makes for a sporting experience the NHL game hasn't yet reached. Whilst Rocket League is available NHL 16 is not appealing (I have nhl 15 on the shelf and there isn't enough separation between the new game and last to warrant an investment). I'll get my hockey fix playing Rocket League.

I'm not an EA Sports or NHL fanboy, but you can't be serious about comparing Rocket League to an NHL game. Two different animals.

# 155 shogunofharlem3 @ 09/11/15 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kt-od

Haha. Happened to me the other day in 14. And then again today in 16. It was some back heel kick. Pele would be proud.

All in all though in the games I've played I have had fun. Competitive but more of the same. The looseness I don't feel much different than in 14 with my edits applied.

The goalies seem to give up the same old type of goals still too.

However, I have been able to cycle the puck in this better than any other. I have kept the pass visual preview on. Seems as when I preview a pass behind the net my far winger will fight to go get it.

I do think it is a an improvement. EASHL will be what sells me this game.

Back to the beginning, that back heel pass at rocket speeds to the tape for a one timer needs go!

# 156 mkharsh33 @ 09/11/15 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogunofharlem3
Haha. Happened to me the other day in 14. And then again today in 16. It was some back heel kick. Pele would be proud.

All in all though in the games I've played I have had fun. Competitive but more of the same. The looseness I don't feel much different than in 14 with my edits applied.

The goalies seem to give up the same old type of goals still too.

However, I have been able to cycle the puck in this better than any other. I have kept the pass visual preview on. Seems as when I preview a pass behind the net my far winger will fight to go get it.

I do think it is a an improvement. EASHL will be what sells me this game.

Back to the beginning, that back heel pass at rocket speeds to the tape for a one timer needs go!
not trying to sound critical, but how does the dev team at EA continually miss what we are seeing? it's the SAME GAME year after year... with the same issues each year. I've watched a good deal of videos on this new title - and there's no way I'd buy it. some of it just doesn't even look like real hockey. had higher hopes...just really disappointed. if everyone else is, then hold your money and don't impulse buy. it's too bad...

# 157 Les Paul @ 09/11/15 10:10 PM
Very glad I did the EA Access trial. Definitely not a release day buy for me.

1. Same music as NHL 15. Seriously? What happened to music tracks we had back on last gen?

2. Is is just me, or is the CPU teammate AI even worse than last year?

3. Some sliders seem to have little or no effect. Pass interceptions for example: even with CPU pass interceptions all the way down, the opposing AI has an uncanny ability to pick off passes. Even ones that don't look they should even have a remote chance of touching.

4. When I knock a guy off the puck with a check, my controlled player seems to want to take a 1 second nap so that the opponent I just hit can recover and get right back on the puck.

5. In Be A GM las gen, we could start out our first season just before the June entry draft. NHL 15 took that away and NHL 16 did not bring it back.

6. Where is Jack Eichel?

This was all in Be A GM mode. So other than the player morale piece and AHL teams, what if anything has changed in Be a GM. Looks to me like they just plan on slowly bringing back features we use to have in last gen. I guess the main focus was for online. At this point I'll wait until I can get it for less that 30 bucks.

# 158 Les Paul @ 09/11/15 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lions67
most of their complaining is about trivial things anyway.

By trivial do you mean the brain dead CPU teammate AI?

# 159 canucksss @ 09/11/15 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lions67
see, for me, i kinda doubt how honest some really are.
Although I dont know the people here personally, all by virtual and commonality such as BaGM offline gamer and long time NHL fan, I find their observation honest. Why? Because what they are saying are all existing issues found in previous iteration. So EA improved the presentation, great. They brought back EASHL and BaGM features, which at the very first place was already there prior to 15, good. But to missed important issues such as mentioned above, IMO, is the same old bag of pucks.

# 160 Diehardfan @ 09/11/15 10:21 PM
Am I reading this right? They STILL haven't fixed the fact that too few penalties are called? Wow, that is incredible. How long will it take for the devs to understand NHL hockey? It's been years...they really, really need to look into getting some new people at EA Canada.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.