Home
NBA 2K16 News Post

Steph Curry had a heck of a night last night.

Not only did he score the most points in an OT effort ever (17), but he also single handedly took a playoff game over and delivered a big W for Golden State -- putting the Warriors up three games to one and certainly clinching their ticket onwards.

Quote:
"Perhaps the best way summarize Curry's performance on Monday is with this stat: Curry missed his first nine 3-pointers and later scored 17 points in overtime -- an NBA record."

Curry can catch fire like few players in the history of the game, and when he does -- it almost seems like he may actually encapsulate what it may look like to see a player with skills beyond what we typically see.

With that in mind, are Curry's attributes (especially his offensive attributes) properly captured in NBA 2K16? Do you think that Curry should be considered for something higher than a 99 overall rating?

Sound off in the comments!

Game: NBA 2K16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 45 - View All
NBA 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 raidertiger @ 05/11/16 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cima
Good Lord, get off Curry's nuts man. No, he is not the greatest offensive player ever. He is the greatest shooter ever, but he is not the greatest offensive player ever.
I guess per 100 possessions and efficiency means nothing to you? 2016 Steph blows any of Jordans scoring seasons out of the water.

# 82 Mauer4MVP @ 05/11/16 07:10 PM
Quote:
Good Lord, get off Curry's nuts man. No, he is not the greatest offensive player ever. He is the greatest shooter ever, but he is not the greatest offensive player ever.
I think you're confused again by basketball concepts. What's the point of offense again? To score points, right?

Well if that's true then that would make Curry (right now) the best offensive player ever. I guess it shouldn't surprise me fans still can't grasp to Warriors greatness. It took the NBA this one to realize the value of the 3.

# 83 cima @ 05/11/16 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raidertiger
I guess per 100 possessions and efficiency means nothing to you? 2016 Steph blows any of Jordans scoring seasons out of the water.
Actually if you want to use your 100 possessions stat, 2016 Curry Offensive Rating was 125, equal to Jordan's best season which was also 125. Jordan had an OR of over 120 7 times in his career. Curry's done that twice. Curry also doesn't touch MJ in Win Shares or Offensive Win Shares.

# 84 cima @ 05/11/16 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauer4MVP
I think you're confused again by basketball concepts. What's the point of offense again? To score points, right?

Well if that's true then that would make Curry (right now) the best offensive player ever. I guess it shouldn't surprise me fans still can't grasp to Warriors greatness. It took the NBA this one to realize the value of the 3.
Why are you kids so confused? I'm really sorry you never saw MJ play. There's more to being an offensive player than being a great shooter from everywhere on the floor. Which is why when we go back to the PER 100 Possessions stats, Curry averaged 42.5 points per 100 possessions this year. MJ equaled or eclipsed that 7 times. MJ got it done through the mid-range game and getting to the foul line. They had very different styles of play, but all metrics, advanced stats, and the eye test will show that MJ was still superior to Curry. The only thing Curry is without a doubt superior to MJ in regards to scoring is the 3 point shot.

# 85 Mauer4MVP @ 05/11/16 07:21 PM
Quote:
Why are you kids so confused? I'm really sorry you never saw MJ play. There's more to being an offensive player than being a great shooter from everywhere on the floor. Which is why when we go back to the PER 100 Possessions stats, Curry averaged 42.5 points per 100 possessions this year. MJ equaled or eclipsed that 7 times. MJ got it done through the mid-range game and getting to the foul line.
Again the "he did it whothoutbthe three point shot" argument. Always make me laugh.

Glad to see you're looking at the raw ppg and not how efficient those points were scored.

Curry is also a really good finisher by the way.

# 86 raidertiger @ 05/11/16 07:28 PM
Quote:
Actually if you want to use your 100 possessions stat, 2016 Curry Offensive Rating was 125, equal to Jordan's best season which was also 125. Jordan had an OR of over 120 7 times in his career. Curry's done that twice. Curry also doesn't touch MJ in Win Shares or Offensive Win Shares.
Choose any Jordan season

Points per 100: approx 43-44

Steph: 42.5

Now here's where all the separation is

Jordan TS% - approx .600
Steph TS% - .670

The gap between Jordan and Steph in terms of efficiency is around the same as Jordan to DeMar DeRozan. It's a MAMMOTH difference. Like, not even close. And when you have similar volume as they do...well sorry but Stephs offensive peak is higher.

# 87 cima @ 05/11/16 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauer4MVP
Again the "he did it whothoutbthe three point shot" argument. Always make me laugh.

Glad to see you're looking at the raw ppg and not how efficient those points were scored.

Curry is also a really good finisher by the way.
That's literally your only argument is true shooting %. True shooting % doesn't equal GOAT offensive player.

# 88 Mbunn1993 @ 05/11/16 07:32 PM
We just got through 63 pages of endless Steph debates on a thread. Now this same exact **** is back and this one will be plaguing the top of the 2K page for another month or two. Ugh. Can we please get back to discussing 2K related things?

# 89 Mauer4MVP @ 05/11/16 07:33 PM
Quote:
That's literally your only argument is true shooting %. True shooting % doesn't equal GOAT offensive player.
Well it's job is literally to show efficiency. Of course you have to take context into account. How many shot attempts, usage rate, role of the player, how many points they acorw, assist rate etc. All that equals him being the greatest offensive weapon ever. Again not career wise, but as of right now.

And if you want to say Jordan that's fine. Ita you laughing at the thought of Curry in the discussion which is troubling.

# 90 cima @ 05/11/16 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raidertiger
Choose any Jordan season

Points per 100: approx 43-44

Steph: 42.5

Now here's where all the separation is

Jordan TS% - approx .600
Steph TS% - .670

The gap between Jordan and Steph in terms of efficiency is around the same as Jordan to DeMar DeRozan. It's a MAMMOTH difference. Like, not even close. And when you have similar volume as they do...well sorry but Stephs offensive peak is higher.
Again with this TS% garbage. You guys crack me up. Jordan crushes Curry in PER, ORTG, Points per 100 poss, Win Shares, Offensive Win Shares, VORP, etc etc. They played the game very differently.

# 91 Mauer4MVP @ 05/11/16 07:34 PM
Post above mine is right. I'm done.

# 92 cima @ 05/11/16 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbunn1993
We just got through 63 pages of endless Steph debates on a thread. Now this same exact **** is back and this one will be plaguing the top of the 2K page for another month or two. Ugh. Can we please get back to discussing 2K related things?
Blame the OS writer for writing an article and creating the thread about it then. What did you expect when that ridiculous of a question is proposed?

# 93 raidertiger @ 05/11/16 07:41 PM
Quote:
Again with this TS% garbage. You guys crack me up. Jordan crushes Curry in PER, ORTG, Points per 100 poss, Win Shares, Offensive Win Shares, VORP, etc etc. They played the game very differently.
Crushing someone in scoring (by 1point per 100 possessions lol) when doing it significantly more inefficiently is not an accomplishment. And of course Jordan would crush Curry in win shares, when he played around 5mpg extra.

The bias here is so laughable. This is what you consider crushing, and this is taking into account MJs best season in all categories, not what he got in a single year. If you choose one, this wouldn't even be as close:

PTS/100 - 46.4 to 42.5 (decent gap)
WS/48 - .321 to .318 (OMG CURRY CRUSHED!)
PER - 31.7 to 31.5 (CRUSHED)
VORP - 12.0 to 9.8 (only legit part tbh)

But none of this is apparently relevant

TS% - .669 to .614 (AKA Curry is ahead by Jordan with the same margin as Jordan is to DeMar DeRozan) This is a crush BTW.
OBPM - 12.4 to 9.8 (Again, a crushing in favour of Curry)

So Jordan has a volume edge over Curry, but Curry blows him away in efficiency and is barely behind on some of these stats that you're citing (.2 gap in PER and .003 gap in WS/48...seriously?) Not to mention that this is Jordans BEST marks, not his single season totals.

They play the game differently. But to say because Jordan is more varied (debatable, considering Curry lead PGs in finishing at the rim), is akin to saying Melo was better than Durant. Durant may have less moves, but when he's so much more efficient and posts similar point totals who cares?

So yes, when you compare Jordans career marks in all categories, it's debatable. Take one of his seasons, and yeah Curry is ahead.

# 94 Mbunn1993 @ 05/11/16 08:07 PM
Quote:
Blame the OS writer for writing an article and creating the thread about it then. What did you expect when that ridiculous of a question is proposed?
Uhm, for people to leave their opinions on what the topic actually is.. Instead we got another Curry vs Jordan thread. Ridiculous question or not, these responses have nothing to do with it.

And it's like everyone wants to throw out these numbers and then expect an /endthread. Did we forget what an opinion is? Joe Blow thinks Curry is the best offensive player ever. Joe Shmoe thinks it's Jordan. So what? Y'all need move the **** on and let the other person have their opinion. No one is right. That's the entire point of an opinion.

# 95 Mauer4MVP @ 05/11/16 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbunn1993
Uhm, for people to leave their opinions on what the topic actually is.. Instead we got another Curry vs Jordan thread. Ridiculous question or not, these responses have nothing to do with it.

And it's like everyone wants to throw out these numbers and then expect an /endthread. Did we forget what an opinion is? Joe Blow thinks Curry is the best offensive player ever. Joe Shmoe thinks it's Jordan. So what? Y'all need move the **** on and let the other person have their opinion. No one is right. That's the entire point of an opinion.
It's actually Joe Blowe. Nice to meet you.

# 96 MoneyOvaHuds @ 05/11/16 08:48 PM
Curry plays like he does in real life now [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

https://youtu.be/hu8trNT3KNo

# 97 Vni @ 05/11/16 10:14 PM
godwin law of basketball forums: if an online discussion goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Michael Jordan.

# 98 daveberg @ 05/12/16 06:10 AM
No. Steph doesn't warrant a 99.

2 great seasons shouldn't elevate him to that kind of status. If he played like this from day 1, sure. But he's just emerged recently and the league has gone all weak at the knees for him.

All the talk and comparisons to MJ....I wonder what Mike's stats would look like playing the game today at the same age as Steph.........

Anyhow, If Curry goes 2 or 3 more years the way he is now? Sure, 99. But not after two seasons of stand out play.

Hell, everyone was gushing over Linsanity after a few months of great play a few seasons ago, should 2k have given him a 99 for his trouble?

Let's see if these guys have any longevity, then give them their props.

# 99 tru11 @ 05/12/16 06:22 AM
so many kids just starting watching basketball.

they think its only about scoring points.

lets all just forgot about defense , rebounding and assists for instance....

The best should be able to do more then shoot the ball TBH......

# 100 DocHolliday @ 05/12/16 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tru11
so many kids just starting watching basketball.

they think its only about scoring points.

lets all just forgot about defense , rebounding and assists for instance....

The best should be able to do more then shoot the ball TBH......

Annnnnd back to square one of "All he does is shoot".

Not going to get into the comparison but if you think all Steph does is shoot your not actually watching the games, or you don't understand basketball nuances.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.