Home
NBA 2K17 News Post

2K Sports just posted a brand new NBA 2K17 trailer celebrating the Dream Team complete with current and legacy players. The trailer is 1:36 and is set to the "Star Spangled Banner" -- and might we say quite timely with the Olympics ongoing.

Quote:
As previously announced, both teams will be featured in the next iteration of the top-rated and top-selling NBA video game simulation series*, in addition to renowned Duke University and USA Basketball coach, Mike Krzyzewski, who is making his debut in the NBA 2K series. Fans who pre-order NBA 2K17 will receive the legendary 1992 USA Basketball “Dream Team”, along with a special USA Basketball MyTEAM card and MyPLAYER jersey to fully customize their USA Basketball experience.

Comprised of NBA Hall of Famers, including Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Clyde Drexler, Karl Malone and David Robinson, the 1992 “Dream Team” is universally considered one of, if not the greatest, team ever assembled in basketball history. The 2016 USA Basketball team includes NBA 2K17 cover athlete Paul George and Team 2K athletes Kevin Durant, Draymond Green, Jimmy Butler, and Kyrie Irving.

Give it a watch and let us know what you think!

Game: NBA 2K17Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 14 - View All
Member Comments
# 161 MarkWilliam @ 08/10/16 08:21 PM
This may seem like a funny post, but the rim and net look better to me. Might just be in my head though.

The net just looks a bit more real than last year from the angles I saw it.

Rim and net animations are big for me haha. Keen to see a vid where I can see rim/net physics though. Gamescom I guess.

# 162 sooperb @ 08/10/16 08:34 PM
I'm not excited!

# 163 youvalss @ 08/10/16 08:45 PM
Looks nice, other than some faces. The big news is that it looks like they finally gave MJ an ELBOW band. Big moment in the history of accessory accuracy. I'm impressed.

# 164 eko718 @ 08/10/16 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
I think they did well in 2k11.

Don't know the limitations or whatever here, but Ronnie claims it was a huge graphics step forward

Looks pretty good for no scan eh?

compared to

Crazy how much better the 2K11 Jordan looks than recent attempts.

# 165 youvalss @ 08/10/16 09:09 PM
2K11 MJ looked good other than the body model and skin tone. He was too big, and the skin tone was way too light. His skin tone fit Pippen more than MJ. I'm glad they listened and changed it at some point.

# 166 eko718 @ 08/10/16 09:16 PM
^^ Body types was a game-wide issue; The face model is no comparison to me... One looks like Mike one doesn't. Stuff like this is why I'm only buying for the PC going forward.

# 167 JKSportsGamer1984 @ 08/10/16 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
They are top notch

However that doesn't mean the player models weren't overly buffed out.

In other words they look bigger than normal actual basketball players who aren't as big as they look in the game.

You know good and well Chris Paul is not this huge

You're right but I remember not too long ago, all players were too skinny in 2K. I'll take these player models any day over the anorexic ones we used to have lol.

# 168 Eman5805 @ 08/10/16 09:20 PM
God, that abrupt key change got all up in my head. Ugh.

Game looks real purty.

That's all.

Can't wait for the gameplay info to begin the flow. I think a lot of great groundwork was laid out last year. This year could be my favorite. Also, since Westbrook ain't on the competitor this year, hopefully he gets a proper head to toe scan.

# 169 Black Bruce Wayne @ 08/10/16 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
I think they did well in 2k11.

Don't know the limitations or whatever here, but Ronnie claims it was a huge graphics step forward

Looks pretty good for no scan eh?

compared to

They were much better in 2k11. I have no idea what changed from then, other me speculating that they changed artists, and the new artists drew their own interpolations of the classic play faces. Either way, I did not like how they looked this Year. 85 Jordan killed me the most

# 170 King_B_Mack @ 08/10/16 09:40 PM
The Dream Team's shorts look pretty good and encouraging for old school teams.

# 171 lakers24 @ 08/10/16 09:43 PM
I'll just drop my small knowledge on the old legend faces vs the new since I used to mod. This may seem like an excuse but, it was easier to make cyberfaces for players on the old gen. I actually went back the other day and looked at 2k14 players and I couldn't believe how good awful it looks compared to now (and this is a modded 2k14). It was the same reaction I had going from Live 08 for PC to NBA 2k9 for PC.

The worse the graphics, the easier it is/was to hide imperfections with players and even other art assets. Given that face/body scans have revolutionized the art in the game, it creates this weird dynamic of having 100% accurate faces for most current players and then having hideous legends. Some may not remember this, but you'd have to wait yearly to see if they'd be able to accurately create cyberfaces FOR CURRENT PLAYERS, some of which never came.

Modders had some photorealistic ones and obviously people started the "why can't 2k do it when some modder did it." Well that modder took days and countless hours getting it that accurate while the art team at 2k has to worry about creating the art for the entire game and putting it into a pipeline to meet certain deadlines. Like do any of you know how much time it takes for them to edit one shoe so that we can go in and create any colorway we want? They have to essentially take apart the model and create distinct RGB layers on each section that can be edited.

With all that said, is that excuse to be as off as they are? Hell no, especially if you're going to focus on bringing retro teams and players in. But like I said previously in prior post, unless a lockout happens and the only thing they can do is focus on legends, they'll get minimal focus because it's not the priority. Personally, I wish they'd focus on getting everything current as close to right as possible first because things like guys being the wrong skintone, having incorrect bodytypes, having outdated hairstyles, incorrect uniforms, etc. is inexcusable given the visual assets they have access to and the scanning process.

EDIT: And we're still doing the yearly this isn't gameplay so w.e thing huh? Lol. You guys should know the schedule by now given it's been the same since 2k15. The week of Aug. 7 is the first short clip of in game footage. The week of Aug. 23 is always the first "official" hype trailer. September can be random sometimes, but there's usually 2-3 trailers that month with the last being the Momentous trailer a week or a few days before release(last year was a bit weird since the trailer released the same day as the game given the early tip-off weekend pre order thing).

# 172 Rip4ever @ 08/10/16 09:44 PM
What there was seemed pretty good. Just hope that horrible rendition of the National Anthem is not indicative of the quality of this years soundtrack.

That said I am usually lukewarm on the soundtracks and then by the time a year has passed about half of them have grown on me.

# 173 Goffs @ 08/10/16 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bruce Wayne
They were much better in 2k11. I have no idea what changed from then, other me speculating that they changed artists, and the new artists drew their own interpolations of the classic play faces. Either way, I did not like how they looked this Year. 85 Jordan killed me the most
Ld2k excuse was because face scan and the legends where too old etc etc...

Thing is though last gen faces didn't need scanning at all. My guess is that they cut some art staff when face scanning came to the fold.

# 174 MarkWilliam @ 08/10/16 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
Ld2k excuse was because face scan and the legends where too old etc etc...

Thing is though last gen faces didn't need scanning at all. My guess is that they cut some art staff when face scanning came to the fold.

Sadly, this makes sense. If true, they cut the wrong people....

Put the gen 3 Jordan face on the gen 4 body and I'd be happier than having this hideous thing running around posing as GOAT. Haha..... and I'm actually serious (that's how bad it is to me).

# 175 lakers24 @ 08/10/16 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWilliam
Sadly, this makes sense. If true, they cut the wrong people....

Put the gen 3 Jordan face on the gen 4 body and I'd be happier than having this hideous thing running around posing as GOAT. Haha..... and I'm actually serious (that's how bad it is to me).
And if they did that it'd look utterly terrible just from the texture being lower quality, not to mention headshape etc.

# 176 MarkWilliam @ 08/10/16 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakers24
And if they did that it'd look utterly terrible just from the texture being lower quality, not to mention headshape etc.

Haha yep. I guess I was just making a point in the end.

This Jordan is terrible.

# 177 Hellquist @ 08/10/16 11:47 PM
My body is ready

# 178 daveberg @ 08/11/16 04:59 AM
Stoked to play this years game, but c'mon.....

How many more years we gonna have to wait before 2k get Michael right again.....

# 179 scottyp180 @ 08/11/16 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakers24
I'll just drop my small knowledge on the old legend faces vs the new since I used to mod. This may seem like an excuse but, it was easier to make cyberfaces for players on the old gen. I actually went back the other day and looked at 2k14 players and I couldn't believe how good awful it looks compared to now (and this is a modded 2k14). It was the same reaction I had going from Live 08 for PC to NBA 2k9 for PC.

The worse the graphics, the easier it is/was to hide imperfections with players and even other art assets. Given that face/body scans have revolutionized the art in the game, it creates this weird dynamic of having 100% accurate faces for most current players and then having hideous legends. Some may not remember this, but you'd have to wait yearly to see if they'd be able to accurately create cyberfaces FOR CURRENT PLAYERS, some of which never came.

Modders had some photorealistic ones and obviously people started the "why can't 2k do it when some modder did it." Well that modder took days and countless hours getting it that accurate while the art team at 2k has to worry about creating the art for the entire game and putting it into a pipeline to meet certain deadlines. Like do any of you know how much time it takes for them to edit one shoe so that we can go in and create any colorway we want? They have to essentially take apart the model and create distinct RGB layers on each section that can be edited.

With all that said, is that excuse to be as off as they are? Hell no, especially if you're going to focus on bringing retro teams and players in. But like I said previously in prior post, unless a lockout happens and the only thing they can do is focus on legends, they'll get minimal focus because it's not the priority. Personally, I wish they'd focus on getting everything current as close to right as possible first because things like guys being the wrong skintone, having incorrect bodytypes, having outdated hairstyles, incorrect uniforms, etc. is inexcusable given the visual assets they have access to and the scanning process.

EDIT: And we're still doing the yearly this isn't gameplay so w.e thing huh? Lol. You guys should know the schedule by now given it's been the same since 2k15. The week of Aug. 7 is the first short clip of in game footage. The week of Aug. 23 is always the first "official" hype trailer. September can be random sometimes, but there's usually 2-3 trailers that month with the last being the Momentous trailer a week or a few days before release(last year was a bit weird since the trailer released the same day as the game given the early tip-off weekend pre order thing).
For me, when it comes to legends, I'm still happy that we even have these players and teams in the game. I want them to be as accurate as possible but there is part of me that fears that one year they will be completely absent from the game. This is because I grew up playing these games hoping classic teams would be in the game.

I hear you about the complaints on lack of info. Even before 2k15, 2k was never one to dump a ton of content early. The bulk of info has almost always been mid-late august, early September.

# 180 AyeItzDj @ 08/11/16 11:44 AM
I mean we got some minimal gameplay that's ok , however I'm pretty sure this game comes out Sept 16 and we have little to no news on any game mode especially it's bread winner my career. Ronnie2k is hyping up this community day that's fine and all but last year we had some news as early the 3rd week of June. I'm going to buy this cuz I love basketball and Live can't even compare but damn 2k this better be getting a side chick pregnant worthy news to be quiet this long.... And also as black man not everyone is from the hood and damn sure from Nyc so we gotta mix up the stories in the future. basketball is multicultural so let's see some new possibilities.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.