Home
FIFA 17 News Post

EA Sports has just revealed the career mode features for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC versions of FIFA 17, that give you even greater control over your club's season, the option to compete in the J-League, and your fully rendered manager avatar roaming the sideline.

Total Club Management
Total Club Management gives you new objectives to fulfill based upon your board's priorities. Each team now has a unique personality which dictates the goals you'll need to achieve in both the short and long term to succeed at your club.

Your board's expectations fall into five categories:
  • Domestic Success
  • Continental Success
  • Brand Exposure
  • Financial
  • Youth Development
Promote youth players, return to the top division, expand your club's brand in Asia, sign world class players - these are just some examples of the objectives you can expect in Career Mode in FIFA 17.

You'll be able to see your progress on these objectives from a new menu within Career Mode. Achieve the goals to keep your managerial popularity rating on target.

Whether you're returning a fallen giant to their former glory, turning your team into a European powerhouse with the help of a world-class youth program, or keeping your club's finances in the black, Total Club Management keeps your career experience fresh and dynamic season by season.

Financial System
FIFA 17 Career Mode introduces Club Worth, a rewritten and authentic club financial system with different sources of income and expense. You'll now be able to see a detailed breakdown of your income from transfers, loans, match-day revenue, media and merchandising, while your outgoings on player and scout wages, youth facilities, stadium maintenance and travel will also be visible to you in the Finances menu. This will help you keep your finances in check, a must for every modern football club.

Managers
Powered by Frostbite™ for the PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, managers are brought to life on the touchline for the first time in Career Mode. You'll be able to choose one of 11 high-res coaches to occupy the technical area which you'll then see during gameplay.

New League
The Japan J1 League is joining the list of leagues in which you'll be able to compete in FIFA 17's Career Mode. Read more about it here.

FIFA 17 screenshot gallery - Click to view FIFA 17 screenshot gallery - Click to view FIFA 17 screenshot gallery - Click to view FIFA 17 screenshot gallery - Click to view FIFA 17 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: FIFA 17Reader Score: Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 0 - View All
Member Comments
# 21 bad_philanthropy @ 08/12/16 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlies317
With all of the hype around the new "journey" mode, I thought for sure manager career mode would receive some significant overhauls. Going off the Futhead preview, I've got to say I'm extremely disappointed. I don't even feel rage this year. It's just a real bummer.
I thought the opposite when I heard that. Fewer resources for career mode. There is so little incentive to improve existing modes in FIFA outside of FUT. It's a massive cash cow and by far the most popular mode. I wish CM was #1, but it just isn't. We have to accept that.

I wish there was a different version that was basically FIFA manager incorporated with the FIFA game with its own dedicated development priorities. But it doesn't seem like a logical development move to split FUT and the rest of FIFA.

# 22 Matty Aqua @ 08/12/16 07:28 PM
There will most likely be a few patches that fine tune things within the first few weeks!, I'm not the biggest advocate of releasing a game then patching it....But there are some things that show career mode is very slowly heading towards the right direction!.

With NBA 2k, The Show and even Madden having decent career mode these days, Fifa will eventually have too follow.

# 23 Turbojugend @ 08/12/16 07:39 PM
Maybe I'm a "cup half full" kind of guy, but I see progress here. Sure it's not to the level of what some would expect, and the Futhead article is a bit concerning, but after years and years of CM being basically the same, it's something. Given all of the attention to their new Story Mode, you could expect CM to be untouched this year. That isn't the case.

I mean, FIFA is never going to be FM. Ever. If you find yourself disappointed by FIFA's CM every year, there is a great alternative.

# 24 PhillyPhanatic14 @ 08/12/16 08:21 PM
What a bummer reading that FUTHEAD article. After seeing what Madden has been doing, not to mention NBA2k and The Show, it is insane that Fifa stays relatively the same every year. There is so much potential for a game that brings in the amount of money that Fifa does, but somehow the game barely changes every year in career mode. Are there like 4 guys working on this mode and that's it?... With a whole year there has to be more that gets accomplished.

# 25 Velocityy @ 08/12/16 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojugend
Maybe I'm a "cup half full" kind of guy, but I see progress here. Sure it's not to the level of what some would expect, and the Futhead article is a bit concerning, but after years and years of CM being basically the same, it's something. Given all of the attention to their new Story Mode, you could expect CM to be untouched this year. That isn't the case.

I mean, FIFA is never going to be FM. Ever. If you find yourself disappointed by FIFA's CM every year, there is a great alternative.
I personally play both, but I also like to play the games more than I like to watch my team play. I agree that this is some progress, but it's just kind of wrapping paper. It's like they brought the expectations for your team that were hidden somewhere in the background to the forefront and added merchandise sales. They didn't change much else.

Last year they added training and pre season tournaments, and left everything the same.

These are nice additions, but they don't change any of the core problems. It's been years with some of these core problems. Where is stat tracking across all the leagues? Where is the fixed transfer logic? Just wish they would take some time to fix some stuff under the hood and give us more depth.

# 26 SpHSpH @ 08/12/16 08:54 PM
If I still had FIFA09 - I would not need to buy the game this season!

"Manage finances, stadium gate receipts, costs for staff" ...

... yeah, we had this in FIFA09.

Merp.

# 27 Teleo @ 08/13/16 01:53 AM
In career mode, does it allow you to play CPU vs CPU, so that way you can watch the computer handle the on field play and you manage the off the field duties? Thank you to all who reply.

# 28 Zac @ 08/13/16 02:35 AM
While knowing that nothing has really changed other than a new can of yellow paint. I kind of figured they would throw the same coding/scripting into the new engine for the first year. This is to be expected. They aren't going to make a new game from the ground up in a new engine, year one. They just don't have time to do that with a one year development cycle. Yes this year wont really be much of an improvement in a lot of areas. But maybe next year we start to see some real change. Hey, a guy can dream right. Also it will look pretty. And FUT. You guys wanna buy any coins? I prefer best value!

# 29 TripleJay_X @ 08/13/16 06:07 AM
This looks like a few UI Elements were added to the old CM with some few objectives and that's it.

# 30 flo182 @ 08/13/16 07:19 AM
Disappointing....

Seems like they just put in some new features (branding, finances) etc. without really working on stuff to back up these features.
What's financing good for if there's no real way to upgrade your stadium, facilities, staff etc. ? Whats branding good for if there is no ranking that compares clubs in terms of history, fan-base etc...?

It's like the whole transfer-system thing they introduced a few years back.
Why all the effort to implement features like this if you don't think them through? AI controlled Teams have absolutely no idea how to use the transfers system.

For example if Bayern sells Neuer for 50 Million to Chelsea (who would never buy him irl because they already have a world-class GK) they won't buy a replacement. Instead they'd probably spend the money on a position where there's absolutely no need.
Happens every year with every AI controlled team and completely takes out the realism of a career mode if AI teams act like this...

Not buying anything from EA until they fix this **** and finally give us a singleplayer mode thats worthy of a 2016 game... Compared to games like NBA 2k the whole mode just sucks!

# 31 koszak27 @ 08/13/16 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleo
In career mode, does it allow you to play CPU vs CPU, so that way you can watch the computer handle the on field play and you manage the off the field duties? Thank you to all who reply.
No you have to control a player. I wish we had this option but you can't just watch the game.

# 32 Velocityy @ 08/13/16 12:16 PM
One thing to keep in mind amidst some of the disappointment...

They promised us that there would be more specific tactics for each team, which we all asked for, and will be very nice if true in a long term career mode.

The last patch on Fifa 16 made the game much more sim-like in style of play (with some slider changes, of course), which could indicate they are aiming for a similar style on release of Fifa 17.

They have made runs, corners, free kicks, penalties, headers, and defense better (at least they say they have)...which should make the gameplay more varied and interesting.

So...the options might not be what we wanted, but maybe the gameplay will make up for it?

Trust me...I'm disappointed in these features too...but just trying to give it some perspective!

# 33 SamuelChapo @ 08/13/16 03:36 PM
Spotted from Gamereactor website:

As we spotted Barça's manager Luis Enrique during Barcelona trailer below, we were wondering whether the time had come already to football games like Pro Evolution Soccer 2017 to include in-game character models based on real world managers, and turns out it's something that might be closer to becoming realised than you may have thought:

"Yes we're definitely thinking about it and managers are now as stars as the star players are, and the star players may be following their path", producer Manorito Hosoda admits. "The legendary star players may now become the managers as well, so they also have an iconic image as much as the players do, so we would like to incorporate that in the game, depending on the star coaches and the players that become star coaches. We would like to focus on them to definitely show that in game."

Its gonna be really tight and interesting race if this is happening on PES also and they have really put on an effort about the tactics side of football this year. After 4 years of playing just FIFA im thinking about giving pes this year the upper hand. Wish gamescom was already this wknd.

Source: http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/44456...ng+considered/

# 34 jrose57 @ 08/13/16 04:40 PM
so is there asian cup to play if i use j-league teams?

# 35 dubcity @ 08/13/16 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO
While knowing that nothing has really changed other than a new can of yellow paint. I kind of figured they would throw the same coding/scripting into the new engine for the first year. This is to be expected. They aren't going to make a new game from the ground up in a new engine, year one. They just don't have time to do that with a one year development cycle. Yes this year wont really be much of an improvement in a lot of areas. But maybe next year we start to see some real change. Hey, a guy can dream right. Also it will look pretty. And FUT. You guys wanna buy any coins? I prefer best value!
I almost feel like calling this a new engine is an exaggeration. A new engine would mean completely new animations, completely redone stadiums, and an overall drastically different look to the game. Like the difference between PES 2013 and 2014. Gameplay I've seen shows none of that.

# 36 Zac @ 08/13/16 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubcity
I almost feel like calling this a new engine is an exaggeration. A new engine would mean completely new animations, completely redone stadiums, and an overall drastically different look to the game. Like the difference between PES 2013 and 2014. Game play I've seen shows none of that.
Not sure how it could be an exaggeration. Its a fact. They moved from their own engine (ignite) to the Frostbite engine. They more than likely ported as much as they could exactly as it was. And then redid some things that didn't work exactly like before (mostly animations I assume and some AI scripting). As I'm sure some (maybe a lot?) of the programing is very different between the engines. And not all assets (images, etc) would have had to be redone brand new. I'm sure most did.

And its actually a huge difference graphically. I'm not sure what you are talking about. The players and the stadiums looks more life like. As for animations, its hard to judge that without actually playing it yourself. I'm sure there are a bunch of new animations in the game.

I put some player comparisons in the spoiler.

Spoiler

# 37 TheDutchDad @ 08/13/16 10:41 PM
I've always thought FIFA did terrible job on players likeness compared to PES, so Frostbite is a very welcome addition.

Tho I'm not sure Martial is a fair comparison as I don't think he had his face in last years game, as well as Memphis.

# 38 Joshua1207 @ 08/14/16 01:56 PM
Nice to see the financial system in. Football Manager has something similar and its a very nice way to track profits & whatnot.

# 39 mcavner @ 08/14/16 03:51 PM
Some nice additions there, but I think there's still a few little ways the modes could be improved simply but effectively.

One of the frustrations FIFA Career Mode players have faced is the reality that the mode has become, so often, an afterthought for developers. It takes a backseat, and probably rightfully so from a business perspective, to the FUT model which draws a lot of money. Although the game’s popularity was founded upon a satisfying offline gamer experience, the mode, for the most part, has had few tweaks and as the game is ported from system to system gamers have, frustratingly, lost as many features as have been added. Indeed, many offline Career Mode gamers often just want features back into the game which have been lost in translation.

So when asking for mode improvements we have to keep in mind the limitations of developer priority and, in my opinion, take advantage of existing coding etc. as much as possible. I believe that within the game as it already exists there are a few ways that the EA FIFA team can vastly improve user offline experience by a major change in philosophy rather than a burdensome change in game development.

Customization

Perhaps the simplest way to improve the Career Mode game is to allow greater customization. Customization is an easy answer to so many game issues that plague developers. Issues such as training, player ratings, player progression and decline, player creation all have problems but if EA simply switched editing from OFF to ON a broad variety of players could tend to a broad variety of issues. Allow players global edits, allow players to edit players’ ratings, appearance, access to transfers, global roster controls etc. Simply letting offline players refine the game, as they do with sliders, will increase gamer satisfaction in an impactful way. Perhaps down the line we can speak of roster sharing etc., but immediately allowing gamers to edit in Career Mode is something relatively simple yet a major improvement.

By way of an example, I play Career Mode and manage Canada internationally. I’d love to see EA include the full qualifying but that’s a big add – a simple way to improve my experience would be editing. With such a small pool of players the game auto-generates the same names over and over again and after only a few years it is not uncommon for the Canadian team to be filled with players with the same name and, sometimes, the exact same appearance. Let gamers have access to all of those beautifully rendered faces in the game – why lose those to retirement? Let gamers edit the names with the huge name library so the names are ones that are announced in-game. And let gamers deal with any disagreements they may have with ‘glitches’ for player progression or issues with generated workrates with full editing.

The developers won’t need to create many, if any, new models, new screens etc. It’s all already in the game. Simply allow users to scroll through the faces in the game or edit their own created appearance. And let female models be used in Career Mode, too. It’s 2016 and my daughters still can’t play this game the same way they could if they were my sons. The edit player screens all exist outside the Career Mode – bring them into the mode as well. This would be a change in philosophy for EA who seem firm that gamers play the game a certain way – but a little less ego and more understanding that their market includes players from the ages of 5 to 75 with a wide range of talents and time would improve the overall experience in a significant way with little actual time on their part.

It's exciting to see Madden 17 has full player editing in their career mode this iteration and it would be great to see FIFA follow suit - it's a single feature that addresses multiple issues.

Micro Transactions

If money talks – let offline gamers into the conversation. Although the game has an existing system of game earned rewards etc. the Career Modes have plenty of opportunities for EA to squeeze the customer. Access to alternate kits, job offers, access to features (e.g. editing players, teams, leagues, international, global), could all be time earned or cash now features. I’d wager most offline gamers are the older players, and older players like myself often have more money than time. As much as it pains me to admit it, I’d pay more for more access. I’d complain that it should be included ‘out of the box’ – but frankly, more than once I’ve purchased FIFA for the gameplay and licensing and PES for the tinkering. It’s time for EA to put it all in one place.

# 40 jrose57 @ 08/14/16 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrose57
so is there asian cup to play if i use j-league teams?
anyone knows??

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.