Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-13-2009, 11:01 PM   #51
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Really? The main three people that I trust for sports game reviews (Bill Abner, Bill Harris, and Pastapadre) have all been negative overall with Pasta being the only one moving even close to a neutral feel. Perhaps you have some reviews that indicate otherwise?

The impressions thread over at OS has been mixed at best. Warts usually take a day or two to come out. The fact that many of the problems with last year's game are already being reported in this year's game is a dead giveaway that the early concerns of most people have been realized.

The impressions over at OS have been overwhelmingly positive with most people saying the only problem is a weak pass rush. There is a thread with almost two thousand posts already and the vast majority are positive posts. However, I agree with you that it will take time for the warts to come out which is why I won't pick it up until next week at the earliest if I get it at all. That should give some time for some used copies to be available at Gamestop.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 07-13-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:12 PM   #52
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

Bill Abner hasn't even commented yet on the game, at least in public. I don't see anything published for Bill Harris either, but maybe I'm not looking at the right place.

Also, EA has gotten the rosters fixed. Here are the gamer tags to download them (still not named, but not missing as many players.):

**UPDATE PS3**

Hey guys, updated rosters can be found in the following locations:

**PS3 - eascncaa10
Xbox 360 - EASCncaa10
Old 07-13-2009, 11:22 PM   #53
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Double Dola -

Here is a fairly lengthy official review on OS that at least on the surface appears to be balanced:

NCAA Football 10 Review (PS3) - Operation Sports
Old 07-14-2009, 12:19 AM   #54
bhlloy
Coordinator

Very disappointed if the weak pass rush is true. Really, they couldn't fix it for another year running after all the comments that it was fixed?

But on the whole if that's the worst thing wrong with the game, then I'll still pick it up in a couple of weeks.

Anyone who has it/has read a lot of reviews know if they fixed the godlike speed (guys with 95+ speed basically being untouchable)? If they fixed that I can live with the pass rush. If not, that's even more disappointing to me personally.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:34 AM   #55
Tigercat
College Starter

I would be fine with the pass rush still being weak if they finally improved the basics of passing. (Your QB can over/underthrow it into the turf or out of bounds more, without every ball being played on by your WR, a CB, or superman playing LB.)

Last edited by Tigercat : 07-14-2009 at 12:36 AM.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:27 AM   #56
Balldog
Pro Rookie

From the OS review: "The game is fun to play when you are playing pigskin, if you can stomach the fact the game doesn't capture college football all that well."
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:41 AM   #57
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
However, I agree with you that it will take time for the warts to come out which is why I won't pick it up until next week at the earliest if I get it at all. That should give some time for some used copies to be available at Gamestop.

And that's what you should do if you're one of those people that just has to have it because it's the only college football game, regardless of quality. Buy it used and you can get your fix while hitting EA in its pocketbook for the lack of quality in this series.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:52 AM   #58
Kodos
Resident Alien

I saw Mike1409 playing it last night. Any FOFC impressions?
Old 07-14-2009, 11:48 AM   #59
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Dola -

Bill Abner hasn't even commented yet on the game, at least in public. I don't see anything published for Bill Harris either, but maybe I'm not looking at the right place.

Also, EA has gotten the rosters fixed. Here are the gamer tags to download them (still not named, but not missing as many players.):

**UPDATE PS3**

Hey guys, updated rosters can be found in the following locations:

**PS3 - eascncaa10
Xbox 360 - EASCncaa10

No, you are looking in the right places. He's talking out of his rear again. All those guys have done is either talk about the demo or mention how (un)excited for the game they are. No impressions of the final copy.

I haven't bought it and probably won't. I like pro football better and plan on going that route. I gave up even checking out his posts a long time ago, especially concerning EA.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:55 AM   #60
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Bill Harris did trash the demo pretty good, which doesn't bode well for the final version. I don't recall see anything in his demo bash that seemed like the full version would change his mind.

I've typically really enjoyed this franchise and it's without a doubt my favorite EA game. But the bugs in 09 combined with my experience with the demo makes this a miss for me. Not to mention the RROD I just got ... ugh.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:57 AM   #61
aran
High School Varsity

Wow. I guess the lack of "Alright boyz etc" is a sign of the potential weakness and lack of excitement about this title?
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:59 AM   #62
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Bill Harris did trash the demo pretty good, which doesn't bode well for the final version. I don't recall see anything in his demo bash that seemed like the full version would change his mind.

I've typically really enjoyed this franchise and it's without a doubt my favorite EA game. But the bugs in 09 combined with my experience with the demo makes this a miss for me. Not to mention the RROD I just got ... ugh.

everyone trashed the demo. or nearly everyone. The initial returns have been positive on the final copy for a lot of people. I don't think that holds. But saying the Bill's have given their input or even giving the impression that they have is way off base.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:05 PM   #63
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by aran View Post
Wow. I guess the lack of "Alright boyz etc" is a sign of the potential weakness and lack of excitement about this title?

Enthusiasm added.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:07 PM   #64
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Really? The main three people that I trust for sports game reviews (Bill Abner, Bill Harris, and Pastapadre) have all been negative overall with Pasta being the only one moving even close to a neutral feel. Perhaps you have some reviews that indicate otherwise?

The impressions thread over at OS has been mixed at best. Warts usually take a day or two to come out. The fact that many of the problems with last year's game are already being reported in this year's game is a dead giveaway that the early concerns of most people have been realized.

Here we go.. every freaking EA release....
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:09 PM   #65
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'll hopefully get a game in tonight with Mizzou on AA defaults.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:33 PM   #66
aran
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Enthusiasm added.

I still imagine the thread title being read in a voice blander than Ben Stein's.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:44 PM   #67
Kodos
Resident Alien

Is it because I left off exclamation marks?
Old 07-14-2009, 12:51 PM   #68
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Here we go.. every freaking EA release of an unfinished game....

Fixed.

At least make an honest statement if you're going to make it. I have both Tiger Woods 10 and Fight Night 4 and have spoke well of both games in those threads. I've also already said I'm considering a Madden purchase for the first time in a long time. That's far from the universal hatred you'd like to portray. Don't blame me that they've put out games lacking quality in recent years.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 07-14-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:56 PM   #69
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Why don't we just keep to the impressions of v10 and stop the bickering - you little bitches

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:56 PM   #70
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Teambuilder did it for me, but I will be curious to hear impressions, as I think I might get it this weekend...
Old 07-14-2009, 01:04 PM   #71
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Enthusiasm added.

Wait, we have girlz here?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:14 PM   #72
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
The impressions over at OS have been overwhelmingly positive with most people saying the only problem is a weak pass rush. There is a thread with almost two thousand posts already and the vast majority are positive posts. However, I agree with you that it will take time for the warts to come out which is why I won't pick it up until next week at the earliest if I get it at all. That should give some time for some used copies to be available at Gamestop.
I used to go a lot by the impressions there but not much anymore. Seems they have been more mod heavy on criticisms of games where developers participate on the boards. Most negative threads are either moved to one big one or just closed. The old days you'd be able to get a good feel for the community's reaction just by looking at the forum for 2 minutes.

I'm passing on this and probably going with Madden. Usually it's the other way around but it doesn't feel like much has changed with NCAA while Madden is getting a pretty big overhaul.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:16 PM   #73
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The gamestop pre-order bonus was 25 TeamCreator slots instead of the normal 12.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:34 PM   #74
aran
High School Varsity

Madden getting an overhaul probably is just an excuse to have more of the game broken at release because they need more time to "work out the kinks".
Old 07-14-2009, 03:18 PM   #75
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Here's the Bill Abner quick hit review:

The Nut and the Feisty Weasel: NCAA 10 Early Thoughts
Old 07-14-2009, 03:28 PM   #76
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Couple of bugs I saw over in the OS threads that were reported in LAST year's bug thread. Do they even bother to get feedback on this game?

Quote:
I had a great punt that landed inside my opponents 10 yard line and was downed. I was excited because i pinned them deep with only 15 seconds to go before half. Then they come out of the huddle on MY 45 YARD LINE....WHERE I PUNTED THE BALL FROM???? Come on thats gonna cost someone a game.

Quote:
1. Punt a ball that doesn't land in bounds but crosses the sideline before the goal line.

Bug: Game registers the punt as crossing the goal line and being a touch back.

Frequency: Every time I have had a good punt.

This is ruining my special teams play.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:30 PM   #77
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Yes, that's exactly the same because your 45-yard-line = their 20-yard-line. One is a touchback bug, the other is something else entirely.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:37 PM   #78
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Yes, that's exactly the same because your 45-yard-line = their 20-yard-line. One is a touchback bug, the other is something else entirely.

Ummmm, I used the word 'bugs', hence the citation of two unrelated bugs. Just because they're both punting bugs doesn't mean they're related.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:43 PM   #79
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Oh, sorry, missed that. I thought you were posting last year's report and this year's report. Did not realise BOTH bugs were present in both years. My bad.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:32 PM   #80
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
The gamestop pre-order bonus was 25 TeamCreator slots instead of the normal 12.

I was a bit disappointed to learn that one can only use 12 slots at a time whether they have the original 12, the extra 13 with the pre-order bonus, or if they buy the massive amount of slots that can be purchased as DLC (I think it's 120). It would have been nice to be able to have the option of getting two conferences swapped out instead of one. No ditching the Sun Belt and the MAC. It's one or the other.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:37 PM   #81
tarcone
Coordinator

Too bad it doesnt go on the DS.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:44 PM   #82
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Fixed.

At least make an honest statement if you're going to make it. I have both Tiger Woods 10 and Fight Night 4 and have spoke well of both games in those threads. I've also already said I'm considering a Madden purchase for the first time in a long time. That's far from the universal hatred you'd like to portray. Don't blame me that they've put out games lacking quality in recent years.

I think I'm to the point I just need to skip over your posts in game related threads. The game just came out today and already you're just posting all the crap wrong with the game you can find.

Oh well...
Old 07-14-2009, 05:02 PM   #83
DeToxRox
Head Coach

My girlfriend bought this for me today, so I'll have impressions soon.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:14 PM   #84
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

what system dex?
Old 07-14-2009, 05:15 PM   #85
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

dola

was it wrapped together, or separate from the penis pump?
Old 07-14-2009, 05:28 PM   #86
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
dola

was it wrapped together, or separate from the penis pump?

Neither. Bundled with the Strap On, obv.

And 360, butt plug.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:32 PM   #87
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I think I'm to the point I just need to skip over your posts in game related threads. The game just came out today and already you're just posting all the crap wrong with the game you can find.

Oh well...

Just remember that all the folks who are STILL playing in the NCAA 09 dynasties are not having any fun because that game was horribly broken and impossible to have fun with...
Old 07-14-2009, 05:53 PM   #88
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Just because I was toying around with dynasty I figure I'll take this chance to post some stats in a second to see how the sim aspect is this season, then I'll do a game.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:56 PM   #89
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Neither. Bundled with the Strap On, obv.

And 360, butt plug.

You have a butt plug for the 360? That HAD to be made by EA...
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:59 PM   #90
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Played a few games after having not gotten NCAA 09. I'm having a blast. Teambuilder teams look great, and gameplay is fun. I'm averaging about 3 sacks a game. Haven't noticed any bugs really, I thought I saw something, but it must not have been that big since I don't remember it anymore.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:59 PM   #91
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Note: All stats include bowl games

QB's first ..

- 5 QB's threw for 4,000 yards, while 2 more threw for over 3900. The QB's who threw for this many yards were all from pass happy schools.

- The most pass yards per game was 372. Only 5 QB total had more then 300 yards passing per game. 2 others were at 290.

- Tebow was the only QB who completed over 70% of his passes. Only 8 other QB's completed more the 60% which actually seems really low without checking actual NCAA stats.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:00 PM   #92
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
You have a butt plug for the 360? That HAD to be made by EA...

Yep, and you know why I know? MBBF hasn't tried to steal it .. yet.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:03 PM   #93
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Rushing time ..

- 12 RB's carried over 300 times. A handful of others had 290 plus.

- 3 RBI cracked 1500 yards. Again, the teams with the highest rushers were generally teams who run a decent amount.

- 5.3 YPC lead the Nation. 9 guys cracked over 5 yards a pop.

- 19 rushing TD's lead the Nation. 6 guys had over 15 TD.

- No RB had a 90 or longer TD.

- 128.5 YPG lead the Nation. 21 players had over 100 YPG.

- 52 broken tackles lead the Nation.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:08 PM   #94
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Receiving time

- 111 catches was tops in the Nation. 6 Players topped the 100 grab mark.

- 1492 yards was tops in the Nation. Over 50 players had 1000 yards in the air, which seems absurdly high. It was probably closer to 60. I am not sure how that even works considering how most QB's didn't break 4000 yards.

- 15 TD was the tops. Around 30 guys had more then 10 TD. Again, seems high but that one isn't nearly as bad as the 1000 yard guys.

- 5 guys had TD catches over 90 yards, with two players going 98 yards.

- 147.5 YPG was tops in the Nation. Next was 124.3. There were 16 guys averaging 100 YPG or better.

- 14 drops lead the Nation. 10 others had 10 or more.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:10 PM   #95
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Blocking

- 51 pancakes topped the Nation. Only one other played had 50.

- It should be noted that of the top 15 or so leaders in pancake blocks, all of them were RT. Most of the top 25 were all RT except for a few C and RG's. I'm assuming the CPU just runs right all the time.

- 16 sacks allowed lead the Nation.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:14 PM   #96
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Defense

-119 tackles was tops in the land. 19 guys had over 100. There seems to be a lot higher tackle numbers this year then last.

- 31 TFL was the number for the top of the Nation there. It was accomplished by the same guy who lead the Nation in tackles no less. 19 players had 25 or more TFL.

- 7 INT lead the Nation. It was a 3 way tie for the lead. 12 total had over 6 INT with a slew of others at 5. Probably about right, though I'd suspect there should be a few guys at 9ish.

- 14 sacks lead the nation, followed by 1 guy at 12, 7 at 11 and 10 guys at 10 sacks.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:16 PM   #97
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Kicking

- Only one K had over 90% of FG, and that was 93%.

- No K was perfect from 50 + yards (I hear actual game play this is different) that attempted at least 5 FG.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:18 PM   #98
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Misc

- Net yards per punt was around 36 at the top which sounds good.

- 7 or 8 guys had 40 + inside the 20 which is high to me.

- Only 3 guys had 2 KR for TD and 1 guy had 3 PR for TD.

That's about it. I'll check All Americans really quick to see if those are still broken to hell.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:20 PM   #99
DeToxRox
Head Coach

All Americans

For year one the Small School kids who made AA deserved it, as their stats were far superior to guys from bigger schools. It seemed like a good mix of stats, playing on good teams and being that much better at a position then another guy as far as criteria for making AA, but it was only one season.

That said the one season was a lot better then anything I recall last year in the game.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:25 PM   #100
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Okay with that done I am going to play a game on All American with just 5 minute quarters for now. I'm using Michigan vs Va. Tech, even toying with some heavy rain to see if weather actually means anything this year.