Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-14-2009, 07:07 PM   #101
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Couple of impressions

- I lost 14-7 to VT on All American. I found it far easier to run the ball then pass, as the passing is a bit different. The view is wider so it makes it harder to see longer patterns develop, this should help some of the human passing get leveled out, or at least it will for me for a while.

- The rain actually matters. I sacked Tyrod Taylor once when he slipped going back and got decked. I also had a WR miss a pass because he bit it coming out of his cut.

- DB's and Safeties are faster at jumping routes. It wasn't super LB style but they were pretty damn fast.

- The screen passes are already a bit tougher to use. They aren't as quick to develop, but it was only one game.

- Pursuits are a lot better but not perfect. No 20 yards extra though because the D wants to run next to you.

- Pass rush is a mixed bag. If you want a pass rush I suggest using player lock, it's great. I found it to be more fun then just using a DB and scoring user picks. I used Brandon Graham, 94 OV DE, and he was stout, though it wasn't domination. Sometimes the OL are just maulers but if you time a spin move you're gonna have a free path unless an RB is there.

- Some new OL techniques in certain formations. At times VT's OT's were basically playing behind the OL with TE"s on the LOS.

- The game is smoother, and it seems like some ratings mean more. My best WR who has great acceleration could cut a lot faster then other guys who didn't have that quickness.

- It's early but I do like it more then I thought I would at this point. It's for sure not perfect and like I said it is one game, but the whole thing seems smoother then 09 was, and stuff that worked in 09 with regularity didn't work in the first game. That said, still plenty of time for other stuff to emerge.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:09 PM   #102
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Okay, just finished my first game.

Xbox 360/Default Difficulty/IU (me) 16, Purdue 0.

Several things I noticed:

I always play on All-American, so I was expecting to win on the lower level, just wanted to see how things played out. I was able to move the ball decently well, but only got 1 TD. IU's not the best of teams, but I thought Purdue's D got better in the red zone.

My stats:
Passing 20-28 209 0 TD 2 INT
Rushing 24-78-1 TD

Purdue
Passing 17-23 175 0 TD 1 INT
Rushing 14 - 0

Passing:
* Best new animation. If you are hit when throwing the ball, the ball actually may go end over end about 5 yards in front of you. 1 of my picks was a DL grabbing one of my ducks after my QB got hit.

*Corner routes and out routes aren't as easy, but doable if you mix it up.

*pass blocking was bad, but that just may be IU. I'll try other teams to see.

Rushing
* option attack is a mixed bag. Got one good run of 30 yards thanks to go WR blocking. Had a couple of -4 yard runs because of excellent coverage. Nice to see it's not money (and IU is a decent option team, the QB has some speed
* couldn't run up the middle, but that IS IU.

Defense
*Got some pressure on their QB. Got 2 sacks. One coverage and one when I rushed both LBs up the weak side.

*They couldn't run, but the CPU never can on default. It'll still be a slider issue, though several key rushing downs I called run blitzes

*They spread the ball around, hitting short routes when I started blitzing more. CPU seemed to adjust to the blitzing some.

Overall, a step up from 09. I'll enjoy this one. Will play more soon...if anyone has a question (or team suggestions) LMK.

I'm going to test the name thing really quickly too. I remember you could sign up to get your name in the game. I did, just to hear my kids in the game. Going to see if that made it.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:13 PM   #103
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Oh yeah as far as passing, the QB's will flat out miss throws. An incomplete just isn't from hitting the QB as he releases the ball, or causing a WR to drop it.

And returns are already tougher. The coverage teams are at the ball much quicker and take far better pursuit angles.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:17 PM   #104
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
- I lost 14-7 to VT on All American..

As an alumn, I am calling for your resignation, sir.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:13 PM   #105
Mike1409
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I saw Mike1409 playing it last night. Any FOFC impressions?
I got the midnight release played 1 game online with my son who is at school at USC.
there were over 3000 on line and there was no lag.

Overall thru my limited play I like the game. Passing seams a little harder money routes like the curl can be stopped. I could't run out of the shotgun very well, but Tebow could sprint behind the line so I could get outside, also if I sat in the pocket there were holes between the DT and the DE's. 2 back running ws succesful for him but my stick skills are below average.

He set his defense to aggresive and got a lot of facemask penalties. On default he issed a 40 yd FG so that was good.

I found a bug. down 7 with 1 minute left I lined up offsides, after the play while he decided wether to take the penalty the clock kept running and he ran out the clock.

I have rad a lot of the comments on OS and think this game will be a lot of the thing we disliked about 09. I think it is worth getting for those improvements but there is a way to go.

Last edited by Mike1409 : 07-14-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Mike1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:42 PM   #106
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Neighbor friend came over and we played a good game

Texas A&M (me) 25, Notre Dame 22.

Game seems to just flow better than 09. Both of us could move the ball, but there were big defensive plays...including a tip ball when the QB was hit, my DL caught it and rumbled in 10 yards for the score.

Very few "whatever" moments where the impossible seems to happen. He had one spectacular catch, but everything else fit the flow of the game.

It's early, but I am impressed so far.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:26 PM   #107
Kodos
Resident Alien

Enjoyed my first game. Definitely seems more polished gameplaywise. But I can't run for crap so far.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:20 PM   #108
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Just remember that all the folks who are STILL playing in the NCAA 09 dynasties are not having any fun because that game was horribly broken and impossible to have fun with...

.. and I just traded my copy of 09 for 10 and had been playing up to this point..

2010 impressions.. the demo must have been some alpha build or something, because it plays different to me and looks much better to me - could be because I am playing with a young Mizzou squad vs Florida or Oklahoma

Default AA seems really good out of the box - game is definitely much tighter than 09 and so far the passing game is much better feeling to me.

LOVE the player lock feature on defense and will use this exclusively when playing my dynasty...

VERY early playing time.. but I have all next week off!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:44 PM   #109
RainMaker
General Manager

You guys are starting to get me interested in this with the positive impressions. I do love college football and the fact the seasons are shorter for someone who plays all his games.

I'm still waiting a week or two to make sure I don't read about a bug that blows up your console when entering week 3 of season 2.

For those who are playing on All-American, does it feel like a level you can play at all year? My biggest gripe with the game last year was that All-American got too easy and Heisman was just unrealistic. I'd love a mode in between.

Last edited by RainMaker : 07-15-2009 at 12:46 PM.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:03 PM   #110
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

I'm still waiting a week or two to make sure I don't read about a bug that blows up your console when entering week 3 of season 2.

I'm in week 7 of season 2 and no console destroying bug yet.

Last edited by illinifan999 : 07-15-2009 at 01:03 PM.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:20 PM   #111
Kodos
Resident Alien

I also love the player lock feature. Although I sure screw things up with it.

I think coach-only guys will really like this game.

Last edited by Kodos : 07-15-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:45 PM   #112
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I also love the player lock feature. Although I sure screw things up with it.

I think coach-only guys will really like this game.

Am I correct in assuming, then, that the passing game will actually work without player intervention? I only ask because, in the Demo, the QB would just stand there like a statue.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:48 PM   #113
Kodos
Resident Alien

I believe so. I read that it does -- haven't actually tried to myself.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:20 PM   #114
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

FWIW, my son is just messing around with it on easy at the moment, trying to squeeze an exhibition game in before hitting the pool (if it doesn't rain).

Just from watching him, I don't like the new camera angle much, I do like the switch to a field display during super sim mode. He's already declared player lock as being "pretty cool", the running game as being horrible. And I've already seen more bad passes by both teams in the first half than I'm used to seeing in 2-3 games.

edit to add: Having the sky get progressively darker after halftime with what must have been a 3:30 or 5pm kickoff is a nice touch I don't think was in the previous version.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-15-2009 at 02:22 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:22 PM   #115
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I bought the game last night and am looking forward to hopefully getting a game in today after work.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:01 PM   #116
Kodos
Resident Alien

I did find the camera annoying when I completed a ball down the field. It was hard to judge where my guy was in relation to the pursuing defenders.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:31 PM   #117
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
FWIW, my son is just messing around with it on easy at the moment, trying to squeeze an exhibition game in before hitting the pool (if it doesn't rain).

Just from watching him, I don't like the new camera angle much, I do like the switch to a field display during super sim mode. He's already declared player lock as being "pretty cool", the running game as being horrible. And I've already seen more bad passes by both teams in the first half than I'm used to seeing in 2-3 games.

edit to add: Having the sky get progressively darker after halftime with what must have been a 3:30 or 5pm kickoff is a nice touch I don't think was in the previous version.

Yes, progressive lighting is back/new this year.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:36 PM   #118
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Man, the lack of buzz/comments about this game so far is amazing. I've got a month to tell the family whether to pick this up for my birthday, so hopefully you guys will have messed around enough with it by then to have a solid opinion. Otherwise, I'll have to seek out some of those boards.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:23 PM   #119
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

I'd pretty much written this one off because I don't have a 360 or PS3, but then I noticed there is a PS2 version. Anyone know anything about this? Does the PS2 version lack anything other than eye candy?

Also, I haven't been in the NCAA loop since 06. Have there been any big additions to the series in the last four years?
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:25 PM   #120
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I am probably what you would refer to as an NCAA fanboy most years but this year, not so much. It does play better than the demo but it feels like it is little more than a $60 patch to be honest.

Improvements-
The progressive lighting looks good
Some minor presentation upgrades (Erin Andrews, the bands, etc)
Some minor pursuit angle tweaks (still seeing some problems here)
Improved QB play (the passes coming out bad when hit, some air-mailed balls, although I'm not really finding it any harder to pass)

Disappointments
Pursuit angles are still a problem as far as I can tell (not as bad, but still bad)
None of the new stuff (teambuilder, etc.) really grabbed me
Don't notice a graphics upgrade
Presentation is still fairly atrocious (and I like the guys that do the pbp, but it feels old)

I guess, looking at that list, the improvements seem good but for $60, I guess I hoped for more. In fact, this is the first time that I really feel like I paid for very little more than a roster upgrade.

If 09 didn't exist, I would give this an 8.5, maybe a 9.

Since this is 09 v2.0, I have to give it about a 7.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:23 PM   #121
ColtCrazy
College Starter

09 was the first NCAA I had really enjoyed in a few years, so seeing the improvements in 10 make me pretty happy. I know if I get judgmental about it, it's really version 9.5. But the improvements sold me. I've loved every game I've played so far...and will spend tonight on AA trying to work on some sliders. I'll be impatiently waiting for some rosters to get my dynasty going.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:57 PM   #122
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Man, the lack of buzz/comments about this game so far is amazing. I've got a month to tell the family whether to pick this up for my birthday, so hopefully you guys will have messed around enough with it by then to have a solid opinion. Otherwise, I'll have to seek out some of those boards.

Well, for me.. I'm waiting on named rosters and the RL football season to start getting into swing.

I'm off though next week and will play a bunch of games and post my thoughts.

EDIT: the ps3 patch appears to be out (mainly fixing the sliders)

Last edited by MizzouRah : 07-15-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:51 PM   #123
Radii
Head Coach

I've not been following on OS at all... are there reports about recruiting at all so far?

The issues I had last year were:

a) recruit generation - 432415 4 and 5* recruits at skill positions and sometimes zero talented O-linemen and kickers and punters.

b) the CPU being completely stupid about how it recruited, not capable of recruiting for need at all, leading to them going after 10 WRs since those were the most talented players and ignoring the line altogether.

I'm still leaning pretty heavily against picking this up any time in the near future myself, but my stick skills aren't all that great to begin with, a more level recruiting playing field could make it challenging/fun for me in single player w/ limited house rules
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:53 PM   #124
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetPractice6 View Post
I'd pretty much written this one off because I don't have a 360 or PS3, but then I noticed there is a PS2 version. Anyone know anything about this? Does the PS2 version lack anything other than eye candy?

Also, I haven't been in the NCAA loop since 06. Have there been any big additions to the series in the last four years?

On Operation Sports, the report is NCAA 10 is crap on the PS2. NCAA 09 was fairly well liked, I believe. Probably better off going with that.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:21 PM   #125
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

If I have never owned an NCAA game what do you guys think about the purchase? If hear how it compares to '09 but if I don't own '09 my guess is that it is pretty good, rgith?

Would love to hear more of Mizzourah's or MBBF's impressions of the Tigers. Should I buy an old copy of '09 where they dominate or try to deal with the Blane Gabbert era? I would put my level of gaming skill on par with the guy who always posts about how he can't win in Hearts or Minesweeper.

Are KU's ratings as overdone as the national press seems to think they will be?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:25 PM   #126
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
If I have never owned an NCAA game what do you guys think about the purchase? If hear how it compares to '09 but if I don't own '09 my guess is that it is pretty good, rgith?

Would love to hear more of Mizzourah's or MBBF's impressions of the Tigers. Should I buy an old copy of '09 where they dominate or try to deal with the Blane Gabbert era? I would put my level of gaming skill on par with the guy who always posts about how he can't win in Hearts or Minesweeper.

If I had never played either, the one to buy is 2010. As an avid player of '09, the lack of some decent leaps forward hurt it for me (and is probably a result of some of the backlash you're seeing with reviews).
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:27 PM   #127
RainMaker
General Manager

Has anyone simmed 5 years ahead and seen how the rosters and recruits look? I like going deep into dynasties.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:52 PM   #128
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post

Well, MBBF never plays NCAA FB.. so you will have to wait for mine.

Playing 09 was actually really fun because we finally had a good team to play with. My best year was after Maclin and Daniel graduated as I recruited (well I let the CPU do all of that) a top WR who was even better than Maclin and broke all of his records, including winning a heisman for me. I was undefeated in my 5th year when my 360 went under the knife and once I got it back I bought a bigger HD and for some reason my save was corrupt.. very sad day in my house.

The pursuit angles were not good in 09 but honestly that didn't bother me because for me, it was one hell of a fun game. I've been soooo disappointed in next gen football games and 09 finally brought that fun feeling back. Great thing too since college football is my favorite sport right next to hockey.

I've played 10 some more and I can already tell Gabbert has a stronger arm than Chase (that was apparent in NCAA 09 as well), so it should be fun.. BUT the game really makes you think alot more due to some of the gameplay fixes they have implemented. I also think player lock will take me some time to get used to as I can now only see what is in front of me.

Once the named rosters are out, I'll start my dynasty on AA defaults and let you know what I think vs 09.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 07-15-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:47 AM   #129
DeToxRox
Head Coach

So I just simmed 5 seasons to see how dynasties looked down the road. Here is a run down going into the season:

A lot of A+ overall teams, mostly the big names:

Alabama, Penn State, Texas, Georgia, USC, Nebraska, Michigan, Oklahoma, Florida State and Ohio State.

Here is a breakdown of the highest rated guys per position:

QB - 96 (1)
RB - 99 (1)
FB - 96 (1)
WR - 99 (1)
TE - 98 (1)
LT - 99 (2)
LG - 99 (1)
C - 99 (3)
RG - 99 (3)
RT - 99 (1)
LE - 99 (2)
RE - 98 (2)
DT - 99 (4)
LOLB - 99 (3)
MLB - 99 (2)
ROLB - 99 (1)
CB - 99 (3)
FS - 97 (1)
SS- 97 (1)
K - 90 (1)
P - 90 (1)

I'll check more into this if people have specific Q's but it's late and my minds shot right now so I am not sure what else to look out specifically.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:06 AM   #130
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
EDIT: the ps3 patch appears to be out (mainly fixing the sliders)

People seem to be very pleased with the slider fix. Too bad it looks like the 360 patch won't be until next Tuesday or so.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:14 AM   #131
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Has anyone simmed 5 years ahead and seen how the rosters and recruits look? I like going deep into dynasties.

Or if 5 seasons ahead teams with slow ass QBs are running the option or a ton of QB run plays just because their QB on the start-of-game rosters had 89 for speed?

Actually, don't bother checking that, I'm sure I know the answer already...
Old 07-16-2009, 01:25 AM   #132
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
So I just simmed 5 seasons to see how dynasties looked down the road. Here is a run down going into the season:

A lot of A+ overall teams, mostly the big names:

Alabama, Penn State, Texas, Georgia, USC, Nebraska, Michigan, Oklahoma, Florida State and Ohio State.

Here is a breakdown of the highest rated guys per position:

QB - 96 (1)
RB - 99 (1)
FB - 96 (1)
WR - 99 (1)
TE - 98 (1)
LT - 99 (2)
LG - 99 (1)
C - 99 (3)
RG - 99 (3)
RT - 99 (1)
LE - 99 (2)
RE - 98 (2)
DT - 99 (4)
LOLB - 99 (3)
MLB - 99 (2)
ROLB - 99 (1)
CB - 99 (3)
FS - 97 (1)
SS- 97 (1)
K - 90 (1)
P - 90 (1)

I'll check more into this if people have specific Q's but it's late and my minds shot right now so I am not sure what else to look out specifically.

If you get a chance, can you see how many 3+ star K/P/C/FB there are in the current recruiting class? That was a big time bug last time in dynasty mode and if there are still only a couple of guys over 2 stars at those positions then that will be disappointing...

I'm also interested to see if the "reverse recruiting/nonsense recruiting" bug for those positions is still in there (I'm convinced there was such a thing after years of losing FB and K/P recruits to teams like Fresno State and Akron even when every single recruiting pitch was in my favor) but that's probably something for people to figure out way down the line.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:31 AM   #133
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
If you get a chance, can you see how many 3+ star K/P/C/FB there are in the current recruiting class? That was a big time bug last time in dynasty mode and if there are still only a couple of guys over 2 stars at those positions then that will be disappointing...

I'm also interested to see if the "reverse recruiting/nonsense recruiting" bug for those positions is still in there (I'm convinced there was such a thing after years of losing FB and K/P recruits to teams like Fresno State and Akron even when every single recruiting pitch was in my favor) but that's probably something for people to figure out way down the line.

Just searching 3* and highter ..

C - 68 (22 of which are 4* or higher)
FB - 48
K - 16
P - 16

That's probably right as far as IRL but I do know exactly what you mean as far as in recruiting in the game you do get screwed in a sense because of the lack of quality guys there. I think this is decent but I am not sure how in line with 09 it is.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:36 AM   #134
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Here's an example of the top 10 recruits in 2013 (I think that's what year, could be 2014)

#1 - MLB (6'3, 237)
#2 - HB (6'1, 225)
#3 -CB (5'11, 160)
#4 - SS (6", 182)
#5 - TE (6'2, 239)
#6 - ATH (6'3, 180)
#7 - HB (5'10, 193)
#8 - MLB (6'1, 242)
#9 - CB (6", 192)
#10 - CB (6'2, 180)

One thing I noticed though is only one recruit in the entire Nation as A+ speed, and he is a JUCO WR. I just went to All Prospects and sorted by speed. Hell, only two guys have just A speed. Looks like they really toned that one down.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:38 AM   #135
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Also, looking at the rosters:

- 1 player has 99 SPD
- 2 players have 98 SPD
- 1 player has 97 SPD

They have definitely toned down all those absurdly fast players from last year.

The fastest QB has 90 SP, then a few at 89 and 88.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:43 AM   #136
bhlloy
Coordinator

Thanks - all very encouraging news. The breakout of 3*+ players at those positions is a million times better than 09, and the lack of A/A+ speed players is also good. I guess that's a hack so they didn't have to change the game engine at all - but whatever works...

Also very nice that there are 2 MLB and 1 TE in the top 10. Those were under-populated positions last year as well.

Last edited by bhlloy : 07-16-2009 at 01:44 AM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:22 AM   #137
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Here's an example of the top 10 recruits in 2013 (I think that's what year, could be 2014)

#1 - MLB (6'3, 237)
#2 - HB (6'1, 225)
#3 -CB (5'11, 160)
#4 - SS (6", 182)
#5 - TE (6'2, 239)
#6 - ATH (6'3, 180)
#7 - HB (5'10, 193)
#8 - MLB (6'1, 242)
#9 - CB (6", 192)
#10 - CB (6'2, 180)

One thing I noticed though is only one recruit in the entire Nation as A+ speed, and he is a JUCO WR. I just went to All Prospects and sorted by speed. Hell, only two guys have just A speed. Looks like they really toned that one down.

My only concern with that is no OL or DL. That was a big problem last year. Are the lines OK years down the road?
Old 07-16-2009, 05:32 AM   #138
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
On Operation Sports, the report is NCAA 10 is crap on the PS2. NCAA 09 was fairly well liked, I believe. Probably better off going with that.

Sounds like they didn't do anything with the PS2 version, they didn't even bother updating some team's rosters from what I am reading.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:18 AM   #139
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
People seem to be very pleased with the slider fix. Too bad it looks like the 360 patch won't be until next Tuesday or so.

Per reports on OS:

Apparently, they now have separate sliders for pass rush and run defense instead of a break block slider and they reportedly work well and a good pass rush is back if you want it (actually with pass rush slider at 100, people are calling it a "relentless pass rush.") Also, the QB accuracy slider no longer has an effect on throwing power which is good and it works very well. At 0 accuracy, people are reporting 3 of 15 passing in a half with very good QB's.

Edit to add: It has been confirmed that the patch adds an option to turn off all DLC in online dynasties as well.

2nd edit: People are reporting that the slider penalties really work well also. Dozens of penalties with sliders at 100. Sounds like it will be the first year where I don't have every penalty slider at 100.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 07-16-2009 at 07:26 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:51 AM   #140
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Per reports on OS:

Apparently, they now have separate sliders for pass rush and run defense instead of a break block slider and they reportedly work well and a good pass rush is back if you want it (actually with pass rush slider at 100, people are calling it a "relentless pass rush.") Also, the QB accuracy slider no longer has an effect on throwing power which is good and it works very well. At 0 accuracy, people are reporting 3 of 15 passing in a half with very good QB's.

Edit to add: It has been confirmed that the patch adds an option to turn off all DLC in online dynasties as well.

2nd edit: People are reporting that the slider penalties really work well also. Dozens of penalties with sliders at 100. Sounds like it will be the first year where I don't have every penalty slider at 100.

This is good news, but I still HATE sliders.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:11 AM   #141
BigDPW
College Prospect

I played briefly last night though one and half exhibition games only on default difficulty (Varsity). I was impressed by the gameplay improvements. Pursuit angles are much better, passing is much more varied. No money dig routes this year. WR/DB interaction is improved alot. Punt and kickoff returns are much harder. Not all herky jerky with speed guys dominating like 09.

I will post more later when I finally get a chance to dig into it a little more.

I would like to try out against a human and with my cousin coming over tonight I might get that chance.
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:12 AM   #142
BigDPW
College Prospect

Dola - anyone catch the "Chew Clock" feature? Is that accelerated clock like deal or what.

Also it looks like you can do Supersim and "watch plays" meaning that it may be a little like coach only mode? Though I didn't try it and you may not call the actual plays with that.

Last edited by BigDPW : 07-16-2009 at 11:13 AM.
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:57 AM   #143
heybrad
Norm!!!

I bought this last night. My views may be a bit skewed as I haven't bought this game since around 2004 so this is a giant leap for me. I started a Road to Glory game last night as a HB. It was pretty fun. Tonight, I'd like to get into a true dynasty and I'd also like a crack at playing somebody online (somebody that plays a realistic style).

Last edited by heybrad : 07-16-2009 at 12:03 PM.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:27 PM   #144
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDPW View Post
Dola - anyone catch the "Chew Clock" feature? Is that accelerated clock like deal or what.

Also it looks like you can do Supersim and "watch plays" meaning that it may be a little like coach only mode? Though I didn't try it and you may not call the actual plays with that.

I still haven't bought 2010 yet, but these two features are typical of EA's "Half-Assed Implementation Modus Operandi".

Chew Clock is great - except when you're playing the CPU because they don't use it. That's right, YOU can chew the clock all you want and get accurate T.O.P.s for your side, but the CPU will continue to take 12 secs of the play clock and and start the play immediately.

Supersim - supersim doesn't use any chewing of the clock at all. So, if you're playing a 7-8 min game against the CPU and you're blowing out your opponent say, 42-0, you can supersim the 2nd half and have both teams call plays every 12 secs and win 91-14.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:51 PM   #145
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I did a test last night. I created a RB with 99 speed to see if I could dominate a game like in 09. In 09, I have a 70 rated RB on New Mexico St. with 97 speed. He averaged 10 yards a carry and would decimate even top ranked defenses.

With my 99 RB experiment, I was Notre Dame and I played Purdue, a decent defensive team...not great.

Stats: 31 carries, 142 yards, 2 TDs. A dominate game, but no where near the whacked out stats you could get in 09. Only 1 run went for over 20, and that was a 30 yard run.

This was encouraging. Purdue adjusted to account for the outside runs. I did also notice the set up play works well. Twice I got to 100% set up on play action passes and both times I had big pass plays from it. A few times I ran play action on less than 30% set up and got sacked a majority of the time. That's a cool feature.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:54 PM   #146
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Curses....I...must..resist...this...purchase.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:02 PM   #147
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
I did also notice the set up play works well. Twice I got to 100% set up ...

The what?

I didn't notice this last night while casually watching my son, nor do I recall seeing it mentioned in any of the half dozen reviews I've read.

Do tell please.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:05 PM   #148
Kodos
Resident Alien

On the playcall screens, some plays can be set up by your previous playcalling. If you've run a lot, it can set up a playaction pass. You'll notice under certain plays that it says "play is now 27% set up" or something like that.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:06 PM   #149
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
On the playcall screens, some plays can be set up by your previous playcalling. If you've run a lot, it can set up a playaction pass. You'll notice under certain plays that it says "play is now 27% set up" or something like that.

Damn, me likey (in concept anyway, opinion of execution reserved)
Old 07-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #150
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I like it a lot except I don't think they should tell you how well you have it setup.