Home

I hope this isn't a "jump in" game

This is a discussion on I hope this isn't a "jump in" game within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-27-2007, 03:40 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
I hope this isn't a "jump in" game

"Jump in" was Microsofts marketing slogan for the 360. The problem wasn't the slogan it was that they were dumbing down the games so that any gamer could "jump in" and play. I remember reading an article about it in OXM and some gamer complained that the best competition was found on the old xbox due to the number of breakaway players. OXM disagreed and thought developers should dumb games down to give everyone a chance.
I know for a fact if you didn't know what you were doing in 2k5 you weren't moving the ball. I hope they keep it like this and allow for the players who can master the game to be on top of the boards( and not the cheesers). What do you guys think?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2007, 04:05 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 30
Re: I hope this isn't a "jump in" game

Any online game in any genre that has a decent amount of players will have cheesers.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:15 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 10

All the hands-on impressions say it plays like 2K5, so I don't expect any huge changes. It's not like you're going to be able to score at will by just throwing deep every play or anything like that.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:28 PM   #4

OVR: 34

I thought the water baloon "Jump In" commercial was excellent marketing. I loved that commercial.

You're going to have "cheesers" that are in every game. In the Halo 3 Beta, all I heard was, "I just got done bangin' your mom." Evidently, my mom gets around.

There's a simple solution: Friend's List.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:44 PM   #5
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

IMO, people should be able to "jump in" on the lower difficulties. That's what they're there for. Reserve the higher difficulties for those that spend time with the game and prefer simulated action.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2007, 06:06 PM   #6
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
IMO, people should be able to "jump in" on the lower difficulties. That's what they're there for. Reserve the higher difficulties for those that spend time with the game and prefer simulated action.
agree 100% and don't know why this seems to still not been done right by anyone. i don't think the levels should be easiest to hardest, it should be arcade to sim. people master the highest levels eventually anyway, even with unrealistic increases in ability by cpu players so why not just make the highest level the most realistic possible instead.

plus now, playing against someone on the highest level doesn't mean the best experience between two skilled gamers. the cpu tends to play better on higher levels meaning it'd help avg gamers more to play each other on these levels. and you never really know when this is the case as it changes from game to game. if they just make it arcade to sim instead of easiest to hardest, it'd be easy to identify how you want to play.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:41 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dQbell
I thought the water baloon "Jump In" commercial was excellent marketing. I loved that commercial.

You're going to have "cheesers" that are in every game. In the Halo 3 Beta, all I heard was, "I just got done bangin' your mom." Evidently, my mom gets around.

There's a simple solution: Friend's List.
Didn't they ban that commercial?
Old 06-27-2007, 08:33 PM   #8
fishstick

OVR:

"Jump In" was an ad campaign...not a development statagy. Two very seperate things.

The water balloon commercial was never banned. However, they did kill one of the ads from the "Jump In" campaign which depicted an imaginary shootout in the train station.

http://microsoft.blognewschannel.com...-best-ad-ever/

It is true that developer are 'dumbing' down games...but this is nothing new to this gen or the 360. This has been around ever since publishers started to see what this industry was worth. I would say one large publisher in particular is responsible for driving the current industry trend of 'developing something for everyone and nothing for anybody' and then backing it with a marketing budget that eclipeses the developers payroll tenfold.

That is 'business'...the business of making money...not games (or movies or music), but that my friend is the business we are stuck with now that games have gone mainstream.

Another benifit of that success is all walks of life are encroching on your once somewhat nitche hobby. All walks of life who bring all types of agendas to your online games along with anonymity. That my friend is something you can't beat with a stick.

So, my advice to you...support indie or small publishers who make solid games. Even if they don't have a million dollars worth of mo cap or a chart topping soundtrack or a dozen celeberty actors...SUPPORT these companies because where your money lands is the only thing the industry giants will listen to.

Also, find some friends....friends who you enjoy the company of and play games for the same reasons you do. Add them to you buddy list and avoid the anonymous masses of idiots otherwise clogging the gaming pipe.

Finally if that doesn't sound doable...then you need another hobby. RC planes might be pretty cool.

Last edited by fishstick; 06-27-2007 at 08:39 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »