Home

Wanted: five bronze, one silver defense suggestions

This is a discussion on Wanted: five bronze, one silver defense suggestions within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-04-2008, 03:17 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Wanted: five bronze, one silver defense suggestions

Anyone have suggestions for how to construct a five bronze, one silver defense that isn't completely terrible? Something that forces offensive players to execute and limits big plays?

Right now, I have the following setup, but I'm not totally satisfied:

B -- Albert Lewis -- plays well for me, makes the tackle if he gives up the catch, solid in run support. A stalwart on most of my squads.
B -- Robert Brazile -- Another stalwart, great value at bronze, good in coverage and flies to ball carriers like a mini-Greg Lloyd, even if he doesn't hit as hard.
B -- Brad Van Pelt -- Similar to Brazile, a little slower but a very sure tackler and great in zones.
B -- Tom Brookshier -- Not sold on him. Doesn't tackle as well as Lewis, but seems to be more aggressive on run plays than Terry McDaniel, whom I've never had great luck with.
B -- Nolan Cromwell -- Can't tell the difference between him and the other bronze FS. They all seem interchangeable. Don't really notice him making a lot of plays; then again, he's bronze.
S -- Elvin Bethea -- picked him for leadership and because I've read so much on the boards about his awesome pass rush ability. Problem is, he's really average for me (especially when I control him), and not so great against the run.

Anyway, I'm open to all suggestions, especially regarding players no one uses or that I've never tried (though, I must admit, I'm very partial to Lewis and Brazile and Van Pelt, they just produce for me and don't get caught out of position).

I would really like to have some sort of pass rush, it seems no matter what I do my pass rushers just don't break through at the end of the qb's drop the way the CPU's rushers do. So maybe that's a waste of time. I know a lot of people say D-linemen are a waste in general, though I'm not sure I agree.

I've also never used Lem Barney and could use a return man for my squad. Is it time? I've had mixed results with Renfro and great production with Lester Hayes, but only when the latter was paired with Rod Woodson.

I'm also a big Leroy Butler fan, but I'm hesitant to add a silver player who doesn't have leadership. Wish I knew how that attribute worked.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2008, 04:17 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Wanted: five bronze, one silver defense suggestions

since you want to limit big plays, i would use that silver on a db. if you play alot of man, use it on a corner. that way you can put 8 in the box for the run, and have the fs play over the top of your other corner. her's a suggestion without actually using this team:

s- cb lem barney
b- de clyde simmons
b- dt dave butz
b- fs eugene robinson
b- olb robert brazile (sp?)
b- mlb chuck knoll

how you use those picks all depends on how you view generics at the various positions.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:31 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

If matched up properly and used right, DL can destroy an offense. You might switch Bethea out for Manley, who plays like a silver and will definitely get you sacks and some good plays against the run due to his strength/speed combination.

Barney will shut most guys down, especially guys who want to go long on you--he has long speed and good ball skills. He's also surprisingly good against the run.

I'd get rid of Brookshier. I had him on a team and never liked him. McDaniel never plays well for me, but he always plays well against me, lol.

Cromwell will make some plays in coverage and he's better against the run than Robinson. Wilcots and Marion are the fastest at bronze.

I think Lewis and Brazile are locks--they are great value picks. Van Pelt doesn't always play well for me, but others do better with him.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:50 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Good advice. If I were to swap Bethea for Manley and Brookshier for Lem Barney, I'd have:

B -- Manley
B -- Lewis
B -- Brazile
S -- Barney

Now, what to do with the other two bronzes? D-line, LB, or FS?

I'm still leaning toward Van Pelt, I like his general ranginess, and I've gotten more out of him than Paup/Wilson or any of the ILBs (none of whom do squat for me, though the CPU's Spielman seems to be everywhere).

Also, how do you get the most out of your D-line? I must admit I've never gotten the hang of using charged up D-Line moves -- they seem to produce more O-line holding for me than anything else -- and I don't understand when and why I should use the various stunts.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:59 PM   #5
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

John Offerdahl is a beast for me.

I also like Jim Marshall and Leonard Marshall on the line.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2008, 05:36 PM   #6
MVP

yamabushi's Arena

OVR: 37

I brought these guys up in another thread, but Leslie Oneal [Slvr-DE], Ive never gotten better pressure on the QB controlling any other player, B, S, or G. His spin move is quite powerful.

and Harry Carson [Slvr-ILB], left alone is a beast against the run.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:24 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 11

I've actually spent only one pick on a linebacker and still am quite effective against the run. I have 3 guys in the secondary, a gold with Ronnie Lott, a Silver with Lem Barney, and a bronze with McDaniel. The secondary does a good job against the pass as you'd expect, but they also make plays when the computer runs.

Lem Barney is especially effective for me in coming up to stop the runner, and if the computer gets out into the open I can usually rely on Lott to save the day. I have a Perry as a bronze DT and Too Tall Jones as a Silver DE so with a good Dline and secondary my defense does very well.

I know most people I've seen here have spent a couple of picks with the linebacks but I've done just fine defensively with the guys I have
Old 08-05-2008, 05:36 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamabushi
I brought these guys up in another thread, but Leslie Oneal [Slvr-DE], Ive never gotten better pressure on the QB controlling any other player, B, S, or G. His spin move is quite powerful.

and Harry Carson [Slvr-ILB], left alone is a beast against the run.
Yeah, the Iron Horse is a good one. I noticed that he gets good leverage on blockers when fighting for position on the run, he has good strength, and he rushes well. I kind of want to use him again, as I only had him on the team for a few games.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »