Home

Game idea: completely new

This is a discussion on Game idea: completely new within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-12-2009, 12:55 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63
Game idea: completely new

Ok well I was reading the first person sports gaming thread. Being a more PC based gamer and spending ALOT of time in flight sim games.

I use a program called FREETRACK. Which is a head tracking software. You build your own head track device, and use free tracks software to bring it all together. WONDERFUL program and it is FREE!. Got many many hours. out of it.

Their web site
http://www.free-track.net/english/

My model (mines black)

Watch a video to see what it does if you are not sure
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AO0F5sLdVM

EVERYONE should watch this video to see what we could have in sport games froma first person point of view.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOToqJQmPfs

GAME IDEA

Now my game idea stems from the use of this software/hardware. Imagine how crazy good it would be if a company designed a first person football game with support of this tech.

Examples:
  • Playing WR and having to look back at the QB and look for the ball to make the catch.
  • Being able to run the ball and look left/ right and find the hole and see where the defenders are
  • Playing Qb and being able to scan the field quickly and easy to make the read.
These are just simple examples but the level of use it could have would be insane. Being able to look around just as you would in real.

I know I use this in ARMA and it works WONDERFUL!. Being able to look left or right as you are aiming down the site. I could never go back to playing without it. I find my self trying to look around with my head in games that don't support it and it really takes away from the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

Re: Game idea: completely new

I guess most have never used head tracking software/harware???? Could be the reason for the lack of posts. It is one of those things once you use you can't go without. If mine went out today I would rebuild a new one the same day. It is as important to my system as a computer monitor is. Wish more people have used one cause then you might be able to see what could be possible in sports games with this tech.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:24 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 12

What does head tracking software/hardware have to do with APF 2k8? I mean, it sounds cool, but I can't see how it would be used here.

EDIT: Never mind, I didn't fully read your first post very well to see how it would work. I would have to say that trying to implement head tracking software into a 1st person football game would be tough. Would we be using a 1:1 ratio of real movement to in-game movement? If so, you would have to turn your head all the way around to look for the ball (as in your WR example), but then you wouldn't be looking at the screen, so you would have no idea if the guy covering you was stepping up to make a play on the ball, or when to try and catch the ball, or if a SS was coming across the field to take your head off when you went for the catch.

The HB/QB examples seems a little more feasible, since you could turn your head enough to let the game see where the holes/WRs are, but still keep your eyes on the screen to see what is going on with the blocking/pass rush.

Last edited by Dianwei32; 02-14-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:24 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianwei32
What does head tracking software/hardware have to do with APF 2k8? I mean, it sounds cool, but I can't see how it would be used here.

EDIT: Never mind, I didn't fully read your first post very well to see how it would work. I would have to say that trying to implement head tracking software into a 1st person football game would be tough. Would we be using a 1:1 ratio of real movement to in-game movement? If so, you would have to turn your head all the way around to look for the ball (as in your WR example), but then you wouldn't be looking at the screen, so you would have no idea if the guy covering you was stepping up to make a play on the ball, or when to try and catch the ball, or if a SS was coming across the field to take your head off when you went for the catch.

The HB/QB examples seems a little more feasible, since you could turn your head enough to let the game see where the holes/WRs are, but still keep your eyes on the screen to see what is going on with the blocking/pass rush.
You could exaggerate the gestures.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:59 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianwei32

Well it is clear you have not used one before.

Of course it is not a true 1:1. Your face has to stay facing the screen. But the movment is enough to "feel" as if yu are the one looking around.

It is something you just have to experience. Another words if I am playing my flight sim. I wanna look out over the right wing. I have my headtracking software adjusted to a senstivity a am used to so a certain amount of movment I am used to will have my "in game" character look out of the right wing. It feels extremely natural. You can be in a dog fight snapping your neck around to check a boggie on you six and next you know you are twirling your head around to get a bead on a incoming plane. It is fast paced, alot of head movment, and feels completely natural. No reason why it could not work a sports title that would requried about the same amount of movement.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »