Home

Right Stick Passing: Could be a revolution. also Forza3=BB?

This is a discussion on Right Stick Passing: Could be a revolution. also Forza3=BB? within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-05-2009, 06:43 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 12
Right Stick Passing: Could be a revolution. also Forza3=BB?

How many of you here have played Gears of Wars? There's a particular weapon in the game affectionately know as the "boomstick". It's basically a rocket launcher. But when you use it it reminds you more of throwing the projectile to your target rather than launching it. While playing the game I always thought that the mechanics of using this weapon would fit beautifully with a football game. I wasn't the only one either. When launching one from great distance that hits the opponent square many people have referred to it as "touchdown".

Do you guys think this is what BB has in mind with the "right stick passing"? I really hope so. I think that would revolutionize the football genre.

Also I notice Forza 3 has a "dummy" mode for people who just want to drive around and not worry about a thing (not even breaking) yet have the game be as technical as it was in the past with pure simulation physics. I see BB mentions something like this wanting anyone to pick up the game and play yet have a vet mode for guys who want to play hardcore. I wonder if this is a new trend for games now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2009, 09:24 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Right Stick Passing: Could be a revolution. also Forza3=BB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by randombrother
How many of you here have played Gears of Wars? There's a particular weapon in the game affectionately know as the "boomstick". It's basically a rocket launcher. But when you use it it reminds you more of throwing the projectile to your target rather than launching it. While playing the game I always thought that the mechanics of using this weapon would fit beautifully with a football game. I wasn't the only one either. When launching one from great distance that hits the opponent square many people have referred to it as "touchdown".

Do you guys think this is what BB has in mind with the "right stick passing"? I really hope so. I think that would revolutionize the football genre.

Also I notice Forza 3 has a "dummy" mode for people who just want to drive around and not worry about a thing (not even breaking) yet have the game be as technical as it was in the past with pure simulation physics. I see BB mentions something like this wanting anyone to pick up the game and play yet have a vet mode for guys who want to play hardcore. I wonder if this is a new trend for games now.
Hm right stick passing on a football game like Madden?

Actually I like the idea. As long as you could adjust the sensitivity like in shooters to one's liking. Kind of execute it a bit like an "invisible cone" without it being physical and more....tactical?
Old 12-10-2009, 06:28 PM   #3
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Personally, the idea sounds bad. Implementation will be everything, but in general I haven't liked right analog stick implementation for games that have traditionally used buttons. The kicking game in APF2K8 is one that I really liked. I didn't like the Fight Night changes / implementations (I know others loved it, but I didn't like it, too many years playing boxing games with buttons).
Old 12-10-2009, 09:29 PM   #4
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Personally, the idea sounds bad. Implementation will be everything, but in general I haven't liked right analog stick implementation for games that have traditionally used buttons. The kicking game in APF2K8 is one that I really liked. I didn't like the Fight Night changes / implementations (I know others loved it, but I didn't like it, too many years playing boxing games with buttons).
This is exactly why I like the idea. I've used the same controls for years and in madden, it's getting really stale. It's gonna be nice to have to learn a game again instead of picking up the controller, setting the game to "all-madden" and going 16-0 season 1.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:26 PM   #5
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
This is exactly why I like the idea. I've used the same controls for years and in madden, it's getting really stale. It's gonna be nice to have to learn a game again instead of picking up the controller, setting the game to "all-madden" and going 16-0 season 1.
Yeah, I can see that, new controls / controllers can make or break a game. That's all I was trying to say. There are some games on the Wii for example that I can't imaging playing the old way (Resident Evil 4 on the Wii RUINED me for Resident Evil 5 on the XBox 360 for example). I'm open to the idea, but have reservations. The implementation will be everything.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-20-2009, 12:41 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 10

I liked the idea of stripping down the highlight stick to a 360 "real-time" feature. Instead of similar animations, you could basically string together movements with the analog stick (eg pushing down then left on the analog stick would mean you stop and then take a hop step/juke to the left). It was just a thought, though.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:14 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsigh
I liked the idea of stripping down the highlight stick to a 360 "real-time" feature. Instead of similar animations, you could basically string together movements with the analog stick (eg pushing down then left on the analog stick would mean you stop and then take a hop step/juke to the left). It was just a thought, though.
But you see, that requires more breaks in animations, break tackle animations for each possible animation sequence, and like it or not, the combinations you could do would be limited by what animations EA bothered to put in.

Hence, why animation based engines don't make much sense for what you want to accomplish, as you are limited to the devs imagination and game animation engine. Now, make a body move fluidly through a physics engine, and then you can seemlessly do what you are thinking of.

Besides, EA actually update Madden? Lets see, we lost formation subs (which makes NO sense whatsoever), but gained the fight for the football...*sigh*
Old 12-23-2009, 10:53 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 14

John Elway football in the arcades had stick passing. Maybe they mimic'd that. I know some of you youngers guys are saying, "Who is John Elway and whats an arcade?"

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »