Home

Saving the orioles from extinction.

This is a discussion on Saving the orioles from extinction. within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-16-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Cool Saving the orioles from extinction.

Peter Angelos had no choice. Baltimore citizens were boycotting and picketing his work as team owner. Over 10 thousand people were outside his offices.

But who would take a woebegone franchise off his hands? It had to someone who was desperate to become part of the Major League Baseball.

"Hey, Mark old pal? Yeah, I was wondering if you'd mind taking this team off my hands."

February 22nd, 2009

"Well, this team is quite a mess right now. Are current situation clearly isn't working. We have only a few players signed past this year. Let's trade Roberts."

"But Roberts is our star player!"

"Roberts is an aging defensive 2nd Baseman with no pop. I saw Gomez play a few days ago, he can fill Roberts' role fine. I've already got a deal in place with the Rockies for Jimenez."

"So you are going to trade an all-star for a #2 Starter?"

"Jimenez may be a #2 starter, but he's signed at under 500k for the next 4 years. He's a steal."

"Oh, and here is a list of current free agents. Sign all of them."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Saving the orioles from extinction.

Pre-Spring Transactions:

2B Brian Roberts, RF Scotty Queen and SP Brian Vickers for SP Ubaldo Jimenez and 3B McCarty.

McCarty is an A prospect. He's a year or two away from competing, but McCarty has great intangibles, hits well, and can play every position. He needs to work on his fielding. Jimenez is a #2 starter. His k/9 is one of the leagues best, but his stamina is sub-par.

Vickers is a C prospect who has troubles with strikeouts and will likely never amount to much at the Major League Level. Scotty Queen is the third best RF in the Orioles organization, hits lefties well but as of current struggles mightily with right handers and has no pop. He was very much expendable. Roberts is a big hit, but we have players to replace him. He's 31 now, if I was to keep him I would likely be paying 12 Million for a lead-off man.

I wanted to shake up the franchise, and I did. Hitting we can replace, but our pitching is sub-par.

I also signed the following players:
For under a million:
RP Gagne
RP Biemel
RP Shouse
CF Mackowiak
RF Hinske
LF Floyd
LF Gonzales

For about 2.5 Million:
SP Wolf
SP Ledezma

This is one of the best times to sign FA as there is no competition from CPU players. Wolf and Ledezma have the potential to be #3 starters. Gagne, Shouse and Biemel will all be solid out of the pen. The other four will likely be situational starters.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
Rookie

What to expect: Simming in MLB the Show 09. Series recaps. I might manage big games. If we are in the WS I'll have youtube videos. This won't happen (likely) until year 3. I will post major transactions.

SPRING TRAINING LOOKAHEAD: Positional Battles.

Starting Left Fielder:
Combatants: LF Felix Pie, CF Ryan Freel, LF Luis Gonzales, LF Cliff Floyd, CF Rob Makowiak, RF Erik Hinske
Incumbent: Pie
Projected Winner: Freel

Starting Center Fielder:
Combatants: CF Adam Jones, CF Ryan Freel, LF Luis Gonzales, LF Cliff Floyd, CF Rob Makowiak, LF Felix Pie
Incumbent: Jones
Projected Winner: Jones

Starting 2nd Baseman
Combatants: SS Chris Gomez, CF Adam Jones, CF Rob Makowiak, 3B Vance Foote, RF Erik Hinske
Incumbent: None
Projected Winner: Gomez

Starting DH:
Combatants: DH Luke Scott, DH Harmon, LF Cliff Floyd, RF Erik Hinske
Incumbent: Scott
Projected Winner: Scott

Starting C:
Combatants: C Greg Zaun, C Robby Hammock
Incumbent: Zaun
Projected Winner: Zaun

Backup OF:
Combatants: LF Floyd, LF Gonzales, CF Makowiak, RF Hinske
Projected Winner: Gonzales

Backup Infielder:
Combatants: CF Makowiak, RF Hinske, 3B Foote
Projected Winner: Makowiak

Lineup Spot:
Combatants: Everybody
Projected Winner: Hinske

Old 09-16-2010, 04:48 PM   #4
Rookie

Quick Q&A with Mark Cuban.

The orioles were last in the AL East in 2008. When can we expect the Orioles to be competitive?

"Hopefully, the team will be playoff-bound in the 2011-12 season. By then, I will have upgraded many of our coaches and added several new faces to the Orioles lineup."

How much roster turnover should we expect this season?

"The Orioles will be sellers on the trade market. Another deal after spring training is possible, when we will access this. Most players eligible for free agency next year will not be resigned by the organization."

Which players on the farm do you expect to be in the bigs in the near future?

"Scott Moore and Roscoe Harmon have been invited to spring training. I have doubts that either will earn a roster spot this year. Gordon Cox will start his season at AAA and could be in the bigs in 2010."

SPRING TRAINING ROTATION BATTLES:

4th & 5th Starters:
Combatants: SP Wilfredo Ledezma, SP Radhamas Liz, SP Brandon Bass, SP Brian Burres, SP Chris Waters
Projected 4th Starter: Ledezma
Projected 5th Starter: Bass
Long Relief: Burres
Long Relief: Liz

4 Relief Spots:
Combatants: RP Matt Albers, RP Danny Baez, RP Jim Johnson, RP Dennis Sarfate, RP Brian Shouse, RP Eric Gagne
Projected Winners: RP Sarfate, RP Shouse, RP Gagne, RP Beimel

Top 5 Prospects: 1) 3B Lonny McCarty
2) CF Enoch Hilton
3) SP Gordon Cox
4) RP Eliott Adamson
5) RF Roscoe Harmon

Old 09-16-2010, 08:08 PM   #5
Rookie

Memo From Cuban: Due to the sub-par performance of certain outfielders, Luke Scott will likely play Left Field instead of DH.

LF: Luke Scott (43 AB .349/2/10)
CF: Luis Gonzales (94 AB .277/1/5)
DH: Vance Foote R (93 AB .333/1/12)
2B: Chris Gomez (98 AB .245/2/10)
C: Gregg Zaun (94 AB .164/0/2)

IF Jolbert Cabrera (65 AB .246/0/4)
OF Ryan Freel (81 AB .210/0/10)
OF Adam Jones (94 AB .187/2/7)

#4 Starter Brain Bass (2-4 3.72)
#5 Starter Mark Hendrickson (1-2 4.06)
LRP Wilford Ledzema (1-2 5.00)
LRP Matt Albers (4.20)
MRP Joe Biemel (2.66)
MRP Eric Gagne (1.29, 5 saves)
MRP Dennis Sarfate (1-2, 2.89)
SU Brian Shouse (1-1, 0.00)

Rumors are abound about the trade of OF Ryan Freel. Freel is in the last year of his contract and will not be in the opening day lineup for the Baltimore Orioles. There will be little time to showcase his talents. The orioles are looking for a Starting Pitcher or a Catcher.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2010, 04:46 PM   #6
Rookie

The orioles continue wheelin' and dealin', shaking up the questionable catcher situation.

The Orioles traded Ryan Freel and prospect Alfredo Simon to the Rangers for Taylor Teagarden.

The Orioles traded Greg Zaun to the Astros for Toby Hall.

The Orioles have plans to use the two in a platoon, as Teagarden struggles with lefites while Hall has problems with Righties.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:48 PM   #7
Rookie

I've decided to sim through a season or two until we're contending. I'll start up another one soon

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »