Home

Coach K...(Rob11) JU Dolphins (NCAA Basketball 09)

This is a discussion on Coach K...(Rob11) JU Dolphins (NCAA Basketball 09) within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-07-2009, 06:46 AM   #1
MVP

K_rob11's Arena

OVR: 21
Coach K...(Rob11) JU Dolphins (NCAA Basketball 09)

I am having so much fun in my NCAA Basketball 09 Dynasty, that I just wanted to share it with you guys in my own thread. Hopefully I will be able to keep this thing going for as long as I am still having fun with this game. Despite all of the bugs, annoyances, and lack of depth in NCAA 09 (compared to the 2k College Hoops series), I am still coming back to play this game because it is just so damn fun to me. Well, I hope people will follow, if not...that's ok....I enjoy going back and looking at all my old posts anyways lol. Of course, any feedback is appreciated!

I am halfway through my 2nd season in my dynasty, so I will start off with a little JU Basketball history lesson and a Season 1 recap...

Settings:

Game - NCAA Basketball 09
System - XBOX 360
Difficulty - ALL-American (with adjusted sliders)
Half Length - 20 minutes

-------------------------------------------------------------

Jacksonville University Men's Basketball Media Guide

SCHOOL OVERVIEW

Conference: Atlantic Sun
ESPN Team Prestige:
School Pride:

Conference Titles: 1

National Titles: 0

--------------------------------------------------------------

JU Men's Basketball History --- ( just some cool little facts about this school's basketball history for those who would like to know)

JU has a tremendous amount of history and tradition in its men’s basketball program. Some notable achievements:

• Became the first school from the state of Florida to reach the Final Four

• First program in NCAA history to average more than 100 points per game in a season

• Has seen 23 players score more than 1,000 points in their career

• Home to Artis Gilmore, the NCAA all-time leader in career rebounds per game (22.7)

• Won 840 games in 59 seasons

Most famous JU Dolphin -

Artis Gilmore:

1971 Consensus National Player of the Year

• Earned All-America honors in 1970 and 1971 while leading JU to the 1970
NCAA Title game
• Led the nation in rebounding in 1970 (22.2 rpg) and1971 (23.2 rpg)
• Holds NCAA career record for rebounds per game (22.7) and JU leader in
rebounds (1,224)
• 1st on JU single-season lists for rebounds (621), field goals (307) and
blocked shots (269)
• First on the JU single-game
lists for rebounds (34) and free
throws made (18)
• First selection of the 1971
ABA Draft by the
Kentucky Colonels
• Earned ABA’s MVP and
Rookie-of-the-Year honors
in 1972
• Won the 1975 ABA
Championship with the
Kentucky Colonels
• Top pick of the Chicago Bulls
in the 1975 NBA re-entry draft
• Holds NBA record for career
field goal percentage (.599)

Other famous JU Dolphins:

- Rex Morgan '68-'70
- Otis Smith '82-'86
- Dee Brown '86-'90

Last edited by K_rob11; 01-31-2009 at 08:15 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-07-2009, 07:05 AM   #2
MVP

K_rob11's Arena

Re: Coach K...(Rob11) JU Dolphins (NCAA Basketball 09)

SEASON 1 RECAP

Overall Record: 10-13
Conference Record: 6-6
Conference Finish: 4th
Record vs top 25: 0-1

Team Leaders:

Scoring: Ben Smith (17.8 ppg)
Rebounding: Lemon Colbert (6.7 rpg)
Assists: Ben Smith (7.5 apg)
Steals: Ben Smith (2.2 spg)
Blocks: Lemon Colbert (1.5 bpg)
3pt %: Travis Cohn (26.1 3pt%)

How the season ended for Jacksonville:

The 2008 season ended with a 88-55 blow out loss to Belmont in the Atlantic Sun Tournament Championship game. It was the 3rd consecutive loss (and the 3rd consecutive blow out loss) to Belmont that season.

2008 NCAA National Champions:

Gardner Webb ????

Gardner Webb went on a magical run in the 2008 NCAA Tournament, which included a victory over North Carolina in the Final Four. They completed their title run by defeating the mighty Mustangs of Southern Methodist in the championship game. It was truly a battle of the cinderallas in the 2008 NCAA Championship game (SMU was the favorite going into the game, but the Bulldogs found a way to pull out the victory )

2008's Cinderalla team was simply too
much to handle for Tyler Hansbrough and
the North Carolina Tarheels in their semi
final matchup.

(by the way, I went in and adjusted a ton of ratings for smaller schools before starting season 2. Hopefully that will result in better outcomes for CPU vs CPU games, NCAA tournament simmed games, Top 25, etc....I did not touch any ratings from teams in major conferences.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SEASON 2 RECAP

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by K_rob11; 01-31-2009 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:02 AM   #3
MVP

K_rob11's Arena

JU BASKETBALL WEEKLY
The Jacksonville Dolphins weekly basketball report
written by Robb, the JU Dolphin Insider

Mid Season Review
Written by Rob, JU Dolphins Insider
December 2009, Issue No. 1

Senior point man Ben Smith
hopes to lead the Dolphins
to their first NCAA tournament
appearance since 1986.

With one game left to play before the JU men's basketball team heads into conference play, let's take a minute to review the first half of the season...

Good Start

First year Dolphins Head Coach Kevin Roberts couldn't be more pleased with the start his team had to the 2009 basketball season. The season began with a 74-64 home victory against Liberty and their super sophmore Seth Curry (younger brother of Davidson's star Senior guard Stephen Curry).

The next two games were just an absolute joy to watch as JU went on the road to beat #14 Miami and #9 Villanova. Did I mention those wins came on the road?! It's worth mentioning that Miami is no longer ranked and Villanova is currently ranked #25 in the nation according to the Media Polls. JU would go on to blow out FAMU at home to start out the season at 4-0.

Cold Streak

The excitement of the 4-0 start was short lived however as the Dolphins went on to lose 5 out of the next 6 games. A 97-87 loss to Southern Miss was the team's first home loss of the season (JU is 5-2 at home this year).

Inconsistency

Probably the most frustrating thing about the JU Dolphins this year is that you never know which team is going to show up. With key victories at Arizona, Texas Tech, Villanova, and Miami...the Dolphins also managed to lose games against Southern Miss, Princeton, and Drexel. The Dolphins have won 5 out of their last 6 games including that 69-68 win at Arizona. "The (Arizona) win was a huge one for our ball club. It's given these guys back their confidence that they can go anywhere and beat even some of the major basketball programs in the country" said coach Roberts. Hopefully the Dolphins will continue their winning ways.

JU's current overall record: 10-6

--------------------------------------------------------------

Mid-season recognitions:

Most Valuable: Ben Smith, PG (Sr) Ovr: 78 - It is no secret who the heart and soul of this team is. Ben Smith has had a great career here at JU and he hopes to cap off his career with an NCAA tournament appearance. He is having yet another stellar year averaging 14.5 ppg and 4.8 assists.

Best Newcomer: Ben Hinton, C (Fr) Ovr: 75 - Hinton is Coach Roberts' first recruit here at JU and if this is any sign of whats to come, then wow! Big Ben stands at 6'7" 252 lbs and he has been an absolute force down low. Averaging 16.8 ppg, 8.2 rpg, and throw in 1.5 blocks per game and he is easily on pace to becoming the Atlantic Sun freshman of the year.

Most Improved: Tevin Galvin, SG (So) Ovr: 78 - The Dolphins would not have had the success they have had so far this season if it wasn't for the sharp shooting of Tevin Galvin. The Sophmore guard has found his way into the starting lineup after not playing much at all in his freshman year. When JU's best shooter, Evan Jefferson graduated, the starting SG was thought to be then freshman Chris Edwards (Ovr 78 as a freshman) who saw significantly more playing time than Galvin last year. But Edwards was unhappy at JU and decided to transfer at the end of the year. This opened the door for Galvin and he has taken full advantage this opportunity.

2009 ROSTER

Starting 5

C - Ben Hinton / 6' 7" / 252 lbs / Fr. (Ovr - 75)

PF - Lehmon Colbert / 6' 6"/ 215 Ibs / Sr. (Ovr - 80)

SF - Ayron Hardy / 6' 5"/ 188 lbs / Jr. (Ovr - 75)

SG - Tevin Galvin / 6' 4" / 180 lbs / So. (Ovr - 78)

PG - Ben Smith / 5' 10" / 155 lbs / Sr. (Ovr - 78)

Bench

C - Szymon Lukasiak / Jr. (Ovr- 74)
PF - Aric Brooks / Jr. (Ovr - 74)
SG - Travis Cohn/ Jr. (Ovr - 73)
SG - Scott Weston/ Fr. (Ovr - 66)
PG - Mark Amos/ Fr. (Ovr - 59)
SF- Tyson Mason/ Fr. (Ovr - 58)
SF- Sean Sircy/ Fr. (Ovr - 48)

Redshirts

PF - Devin Fields / Fr. (Ovr 50)
C- Jerome Clay / Fr. (Ovr 55)
PG - Michael Singleton / Fr (Ovr 52)

Coaches

Head Coach: Kevin Roberts

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Up Next

Next 3 games:

12/27/09 - Rhode Island (4-8)
01/01/10 - @ Lipscomb (13-4) *
01/07/10 - @ Campbell (14-1) *

* - conference game

Last edited by K_rob11; 01-31-2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:45 PM   #4
MVP

K_rob11's Arena

VS

1st
2nd
OT
FINAL

Rhode Island
(5-8)
-

Jacksonville
(10-7)
-

Rams 91, Dolphins 75

For the second time this season, the JU Dolphins have allowed the opposing team to score over 90 points on their home floor. JU was only down 3 going into halftime, but they fell victim to a 12-0 run by the Rams to start the 2nd half. "We just couldn't get any thing going plain and simple. We turned the ball over way too much. You can't expect to win when you turn the ball over like that ," said JU coach Kevin Roberts after the game.

The Dolphins stuggled to break Rhode Island's full court press the entire night and committed 31 turnovers. Defense was also a major issue as they allowed the Rams to shoot 58% from the field. Ben Hinton led all scorers with 25 points and Ben Smith added 11 for the Dolphins. Keith Cothran led the Rams with 21 points.

Leading Scorers

JU

Ben Hinton - 25
Ben Smith - 11
Lemon Colbert - 10

URI

Keith Cothran - 21
Jamal Wilson - 16
Will Martell - 13

Player Of The Game : Keith Cothran (21pts, 7 rebs, 1 block)

Last edited by K_rob11; 01-12-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:14 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

Tough loss il be following though
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
MVP

K_rob11's Arena

Thanks for checking in! Yeah.....this was our last game before we begin our conference schedule and is not how I wanted to go into conference play
Old 01-10-2009, 11:34 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

superjames1992's Arena

OVR: 40

Woah, Gardner Webb winning the NCAA Title! Wow!
Old 01-11-2009, 11:06 AM   #8
MVP

K_rob11's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjames1992
Woah, Gardner Webb winning the NCAA Title! Wow!
Gardner Webb winning the NCAA Title was pretty bad.....

Gardner Webb facing SMU in the NCAA Title game was even worse.

That's why I had to go in and adjust a ton of ratings for some of these lower tier teams. There were a ton of overated freshmen on these teams. Many of them had a 99 rating for offensive awareness and also a high rating in offensive rebounds. It's almost as if EA didn't finish with the ratings and just threw in 99 ratings for the lower tier teams.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »