Home

Boxing Off-Topic

This is a discussion on Boxing Off-Topic within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2020, 08:16 AM   #5497
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Boxing Off-Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
I saw Max Kellerman's interview with Roy Jones this morning. Something I didn't know was that after Jones beat John Ruiz for the heavyweight title in March of 2003 he was immediately made a 2-1 favorite against Tyson in any possible future fight. Tyson had just KOed Clifford Etienne a month before Jones-Ruiz in a comeback bid after getting shellacked by Lennox Lewis eight months earlier.

My overall takeaway from the interview is that you can't take away boxing from Roy Jones and that this could possibly be more Creed-Drago than Leonard-Hope. I'm not sure either fighter knows what they're getting into. After all with a $49.99 price tag and Iron Mike trying to get a "Legends Only" league (with many sports included) going they might have to get serious.

Creed-Drago was the first thing I thought about when I saw this. I don't think this will be any type of scripted thing at all...and that's scary. Somebody needs to tell them this...
Attached Images
File Type: gif D36Yf50.gif (1.59 MB, 72 views)
Old 07-31-2020, 12:43 AM   #5498
MVP

sheredia's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelPhenom
Creed-Drago was the first thing I thought about when I saw this. I don't think this will be any type of scripted thing at all...and that's scary. Somebody needs to tell them this...
the only difference it will be two over-the-hill creeds facing each other so it's a more even match up in that regard....but are they both satisfied with carrying each other and going the distance in a friendly bout or will be something else?
Old 08-05-2020, 01:22 AM   #5499
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheredia
the only difference it will be two over-the-hill creeds facing each other so it's a more even match up in that regard....but are they both satisfied with carrying each other and going the distance in a friendly bout or will be something else?
Just like Iron Mike once said, "Everybody is friendly until they get punched in the mouth." (close enough).
Old 08-05-2020, 09:52 PM   #5500
MVP

sheredia's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
Just like Iron Mike once said, "Everybody is friendly until they get punched in the mouth." (close enough).
you got that right, jaybee74....heard recent interviews of tyson talking about knockout so it could be anything goes. jones knows this and heard him say "if he doesn't get me in the first couple of rounds, he's got problems." he's a bit younger, so he does have that on his side. just weird seeing how rocky had to jump through hoops to get sanctioned for his exhibition bout, and with mike and roy, no problem, i guess.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:30 PM   #5501
MVP

edaddy's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheredia
you got that right, jaybee74....heard recent interviews of tyson talking about knockout so it could be anything goes. jones knows this and heard him say "if he doesn't get me in the first couple of rounds, he's got problems." he's a bit younger, so he does have that on his side. just weird seeing how rocky had to jump through hoops to get sanctioned for his exhibition bout, and with mike and roy, no problem, i guess.
lol there are gonna be a whole lot of dissapointed folks when they realize that all this talk was too build up the fight and it plays out like a choreographed wrestling match. There is no way either is going into that ring with bad intentions and once the hugging starts after round 2 people are gonna being asking for refunds. Tyson looks great for a 55 yr o;d hitting the mitts with no return fire to test his reflexes. I am worried about Jones because he is neurologically impaired and his physical skills have eroded more than Tysons.I think if people go into it knowing not to expect any semblance of a fight or flashback of their former selves it will be fine but there are people actually acting like both have somehow found the fountain of youth amd have magically transformed themselves . The Tyson hype is particularly funny because now he is like his old self because he has gotten serious about training as if he didnt train when he was in his prime and still got handled. Salute to him for getting in shape but I aint paying 50 to reward him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2020, 09:13 AM   #5502
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by edaddy
lol there are gonna be a whole lot of dissapointed folks when they realize that all this talk was too build up the fight and it plays out like a choreographed wrestling match. There is no way either is going into that ring with bad intentions and once the hugging starts after round 2 people are gonna being asking for refunds. Tyson looks great for a 55 yr o;d hitting the mitts with no return fire to test his reflexes. I am worried about Jones because he is neurologically impaired and his physical skills have eroded more than Tysons.I think if people go into it knowing not to expect any semblance of a fight or flashback of their former selves it will be fine but there are people actually acting like both have somehow found the fountain of youth amd have magically transformed themselves . The Tyson hype is particularly funny because now he is like his old self because he has gotten serious about training as if he didnt train when he was in his prime and still got handled. Salute to him for getting in shape but I aint paying 50 to reward him.
it's funny thougn, all non-boxing fans remember is Mike Tyson. My friend is having a viewing party at his back yard for this. He was like, boxing died after tyson. I'm like no, we had some pretty spectacular years but it didn't fit the weird media narrative that boxing is dead. I rattled off names, but what's the point. If you think about guys that overlapped and came after tyson across all divisions you have a pretty impressive list. Even HE remember some names after I mentioned them like Oscar and Manny etc. It's just so strange how boxing got shoved into this "it's dead" box, even by people who used to cover the sport... right now there are so many fights I'm looking forward to or hoping happen, it's in a great state right now!
Old 08-11-2020, 03:44 PM   #5503
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

I'm just hoping that at the end of the fight there is no one yelling "It was suppose to be an EXHIBITION...you hear me EXHIBITION"
Old 08-12-2020, 04:49 PM   #5504
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
it's funny thougn, all non-boxing fans remember is Mike Tyson. My friend is having a viewing party at his back yard for this. He was like, boxing died after tyson. I'm like no, we had some pretty spectacular years but it didn't fit the weird media narrative that boxing is dead. I rattled off names, but what's the point. If you think about guys that overlapped and came after tyson across all divisions you have a pretty impressive list. Even HE remember some names after I mentioned them like Oscar and Manny etc. It's just so strange how boxing got shoved into this "it's dead" box, even by people who used to cover the sport... right now there are so many fights I'm looking forward to or hoping happen, it's in a great state right now!
Boxing isn't dead. There's always one or two truly big fights that happen a year where even non-fans, or casual fans are interested in. And when you see the PPV numbers, you realize how much bigger it is than UFC.

Saying that, while boxing isn't dead, it's not exactly vibrante either. It's like that guy that sits on the couch, smoking weed and eating cheetohs all day, but a few times a year, it puts on some pants, goes outside and shows everyone that it used to be somebody.

I've grown so sick and tired of:
- a gazillion belts
- fights 'marinating' for 2+ years
- a million weight classes
- and then we add catch weights to the mix.

If someone would come along and find a way to force all these ridiculous sanctioning bodies to recognize each champ in their rankings, most of this crap goes away.
Pac-Mayweather and GGG-Alvarez both happened about 3 years too late.
And now we're STILL waiting for Spence-Crawford.
These are the fights that can keep boxing in the limelight on a more regular basis.

I know many people who can tell me who the champs are in most of the UFC weight classes, without having grown-up MMA fans, but couldn't even begin to guess who the champs are in boxing. And these are friends who would attend or host fight parties quite often.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »