Home

Boxing Licenses??

This is a discussion on Boxing Licenses?? within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #1
MVP

infemous's Arena

OVR: 6
Boxing Licenses??

With the news that Fight Night is on hold and will be suspended in favour of UFC, I have a couple of questions...

Firstly, what is the deal with boxing licenses? Are they exclusive like the NFL one? Or can there be multiple boxing sim titles?

Is there any interest in making a boxing game for the next generation?

I feel that with the new technology we could see a completely revolutionary approach to graphics, damage and physics.

I also feel that a more immersive but standard career mode involving interviews and presentation elements would really help a boxing title.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Boxing Licenses??

Quote:
Originally Posted by infemous
With the news that Fight Night is on hold and will be suspended in favour of UFC, I have a couple of questions...

Firstly, what is the deal with boxing licenses? Are they exclusive like the NFL one? Or can there be multiple boxing sim titles?

Is there any interest in making a boxing game for the next generation?

I feel that with the new technology we could see a completely revolutionary approach to graphics, damage and physics.

I also feel that a more immersive but standard career mode involving interviews and presentation elements would really help a boxing title.
There is no license. Games have to sign each fighter individually. There can be multiple boxing sim titles. The problem is the demand being somewhat low and difficulty in signing each fighter makes it difficult to make one.

2k has been rumored to be interested but with the low sales of the last boxing game they made and their recent acquisition of the WWE license, I dont think its likely anytime soon.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:33 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 0

What the above said.

The best route for a new boxing game would be to do whatever you can to get Mayweather on the cover and in name. The fact that EA put a random actor on the cover of the last Fight Night is singlehandedly one of the funniest marketing mishaps in sports gaming history.

Then, you would approach GBP and TR and get agreements worked out with them. Those two stables alone would fill a healthy roster (similar to what 2k did with Don King).

Then, pick and choose the remaining big names that are missing. I personally would not mess with too many historic fighters. I would just get the bare essentials (similar to what Top Spin 4 did).

Finally, market and advertise the game behind the scenes to various arms of the sport. Quite a few name fighters wanted to be in Fight Night and would have done it for free but were never asked nor had the opportunity to do so.

The right group with the necessary drive and ambition could get the job done.

Personally, I am worried about the fight game in general from a videogame perspective. Both the last boxing and UFC games were just terrible sellers and awful products.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:11 AM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dos_Santos
Personally, I am worried about the fight game in general from a videogame perspective. Both the last boxing and UFC games were just terrible sellers and awful products.
If they make another boxing game they're gona have to revamp the game play. Making it more simple is the way to go.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakerFan56
If they make another boxing game they're gona have to revamp the game play. Making it more simple is the way to go.
I absolutely agree.

The boxing aspect needs to be a very simple process that only becomes nuanced when two people are fighting that know how to play the game (like chess).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2013, 12:22 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 39

Quote:
What the above said.

The best route for a new boxing game would be to do whatever you can to get Mayweather on the cover and in name. The fact that EA put a random actor on the cover of the last Fight Night is singlehandedly one of the funniest marketing mishaps in sports gaming history.

Then, you would approach GBP and TR and get agreements worked out with them. Those two stables alone would fill a healthy roster (similar to what 2k did with Don King).

Then, pick and choose the remaining big names that are missing. I personally would not mess with too many historic fighters. I would just get the bare essentials (similar to what Top Spin 4 did).

Finally, market and advertise the game behind the scenes to various arms of the sport. Quite a few name fighters wanted to be in Fight Night and would have done it for free but were never asked nor had the opportunity to do so.

The right group with the necessary drive and ambition could get the job done.

I was the one who had a ton of boxers ready to be in Fight Night. The producers were pick who they wanted and not giving fans what they want.
The amount of boxers in Fight Night has nothing to do with spaces or slots. EA could a million if they wanted. I heard this straight from the source.
Historic athletes shouldn't never be taken from a game or not at all. They are fans favorites. Fans love what if senarios and classics.

Fight Night didn't sell because fans like me didn't support the game. I was one of EA's biggest community leader for the Fight Night series. The Fight Night developers were not pushing for realism. They say keep saying casuals are their priority. We saw how that worked for Fight Night Champion. They think they can push a hybrid arcade and sim game down fans throats but they refused and walked away from the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakerFan56
Simple isn't the problem. They need to make Fight Night like NBA 2K made their NBA series. The game gave each player their real life tendencies and abilities.
When I gave the producers the wish list for Fight Night Round 5(Champion) they added it in the way they wanted. They did so much wrong with the wish list I gave them to make too casual friendly..

Quote:
I absolutely agree.

The boxing aspect needs to be a very simple process that only becomes nuanced when two people are fighting that know how to play the game (like chess).
If the producers followed the blueprint of really boxing they will gain a larger demographic of fans, young and old.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:50 PM   #7
MVP

infemous's Arena

OVR: 6

any way we'll see a good boxing game on PS4?
Old 10-01-2017, 01:08 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by infemous
any way we'll see a good boxing game on PS4?
The only real shot I can think of is Floyd or Oscar decide to make a game full of Golden Boy or TMT fighters. It won't ever be any studio to step up and invest like EA did with fight night, the video game market is too wide open for any of them to risk it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »