Home

PS3 - HDMI causes the regular a/v cords not to work?

This is a discussion on PS3 - HDMI causes the regular a/v cords not to work? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-13-2008, 11:47 AM   #1
Rookie

Hey_Rebby's Arena

OVR: 7
Question PS3 - HDMI causes the regular a/v cords not to work?

I recently got a HD TV which I love playing my PS3 on. Unfortunately my wife isn't a fan of me hogging it to play video games. One solutions is to use the picture-in-picture feature. I have a Sony Bravio TV and they only allow for one HDMI input to be used with PnP.

I plugged in the stand red, yellow, and white a/v cords, but not those aren't working. I tried them on the old stand TV set I was using before the new one, still no picture.

Is there a place in the PS3 settings where I need to go back and switch to standard TV?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2008, 12:16 PM   #2
EA Game Changer

gschwendt's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: PS3 - HDMI causes the regular a/v cords not to work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_Rebby
Is there a place in the PS3 settings where I need to go back and switch to standard TV?
Yes... in the display settings it will ask you what type of connection you're using (HDMI vs Composite). Each time you switch the type of connection you're using, you'll have to go through this setup.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:20 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_Rebby
I recently got a HD TV which I love playing my PS3 on. Unfortunately my wife isn't a fan of me hogging it to play video games. One solutions is to use the picture-in-picture feature. I have a Sony Bravio TV and they only allow for one HDMI input to be used with PnP.

I plugged in the stand red, yellow, and white a/v cords, but not those aren't working. I tried them on the old stand TV set I was using before the new one, still no picture.

Yes, there is. It helps if you can plug both outputs in while you do this, makes it easier:

While you're in HDMI In the XMB, go to Settings, and then Display settings, and Video output settings. Select "Composite/S-Video" from that screen. After confirming it, the HDMI picture will go blank, but the composite input will come in. Switch your TV to whichever AV channel the composite is hooked into, and your picture should appear. Then do the same thing for the audio settings since you need to get that off of HDMI too.

That should do it....I think there's an easier way (has to do with holding the power button down), but this is how I've gotten it to work. Also, this isn't a problem when going back to HDMI - the systems detects it and asks you if you want to use that mode.

Edit: Ninja'd!
Old 01-13-2008, 05:11 PM   #4
Rookie

Hey_Rebby's Arena

OVR: 7

Great. Thank you for the information.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:24 PM   #5
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

OVR: 30

On a similar note, something I found rather odd: I plugged in some composite cables for a certain reason and forgot to unplug them. Even though they weren't connected to my TV anymore, I was getting interference on certain (low) TV channels. In other words, just having composite cables plugged into my PS3 caused interference to my TV, and this was, moreover, when the PS3 wasn't even turned on.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »