Home

Slim PSP Update

This is a discussion on Slim PSP Update within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-07-2007, 11:06 PM   #9
ULTRAAAA!!!!

Cyros's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Slim PSP Update

Need to see if I can call in some favors for my birthday and score that Daxter Bundle.

My Video Game Streams
Old 09-08-2007, 05:56 PM   #10
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

Some impression from a guy on IGN that just bought the PSP bundle:

Quote:
Ok, some thoughts. I know some of you are interested in the buttons, and others in the ghosting compared to the original etc etc, so I'll post my thoughts in list form.

1.) The new PSP feels much, much lighter than the old one. It's a STARK difference, to tell the truth. It's really almost...releasing to hold the new PSP, and it definitely feels like it weighs the "right" amount now. A definite bonus.

2.) The D-Pad buttons are much improved over the fatty. I'll go so far as to say that I truly believe the fatty has the worst D-Pad I've used in recent memory. Sony. Like. No. Other.

3.) The square button is much improved, too. You can still tell a little difference between the square button and the rest of the face buttons, but it's nowhere near as bad as the fatty, where the square button never pressed quite the same as the others. A definitely improvement here.

4.) The L and R buttons are also much improved. At times my L and R buttons on my fatty would "stick" as they went down; never a 100% clean push in. The slim does this with aplomb.

5.) The ghosting is reduced, but only very slightly. Now this could be due to simple variations in the LCD. Again, my PSP is a launch unit, so take this as you will. There IS ghosting, however, for those waiting to see if this would get them buying a PSP. If it's a ghosting-free PSP you're looking for, well...keep waiting. I will say my PSP slims is brighter than my PSP fatty, but that could be due to any number of factors: different LCD brand, newer LCD technology, age etc...

6.) The UMD tray is the cheapest POS ever. Compared to the fatty it's like Sony just didn't care at all when designing it. It'll probably hold up just fine, but it really is a piece of crap. You shove the UMD in there, and close the cover. Sometimes the UMD will go in at an angle and the cover literally pushes the UMD straight so it goes in correctly. Definitely not instilling confidence in me, but I guess it works...

7.) The battery cover is much better, though probably cheaper than the fatty's, ironically. It closes quite tight, though, with none of that wobble the fatty has.

8.) The memory slot is miles better now, too. Yes, *sigh*, it's cheaper looking, but again it closes quite firmly when you slide the mechanism in.

9.) Load times are definitely improved. This varies per game, but yes, improved. Unquestionably. Yay for extra memory!

10.) USB charging is very useful. No more carrying around lumpy chargers.

11.) This is an odd design choice by Sony: For the original PSP fatty, the back of the system is a matte finish, so your hands don't sweat the way they do when using a DS Lite. However, the PSP slim has the shiny coating on the back of the system now. It definitely feels slimy after a bit of playtime.

12.) Build quality is sort-of improved. I'm sure many of us remember the dead/stuck pixel debacle when the PSP originally launched. I can say that my unit has zero dead pixels. HOWEVER, the PSP still suffers from the "pits" in the coating of the screen. These little pits are technically "dents" in the coating, and there's nothing you can do about it. My first PSP slim had 4 or 5, so I exchanged it and my second PSP only has one pit in the bottom left, so I can live with it. You only really notice them on light solid colours, but it's a shame Sony couldn't fix these issues. Dust specks are also an issue, and my first PSP slim had several pieces of dust under the LCD itself. Ah well.

------

Overall, I definitely prefer the new PSP to the old fatty. However, I'm a bit surprised that Sony didn't put more effort in...

7.9/10.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:29 PM   #11
ULTRAAAA!!!!

Cyros's Arena

OVR: 30

Also, according to GameFAQs the Slim PSP's case doesn't cover the LCD screen like the regular PSP does.

My Video Game Streams
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2007, 08:51 PM   #12
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

Gamespot Hands-On PSP Slim Loading Performance (in seconds)

Pro Evolution Soccer 2007 - Load time from XMB to play
PSP Slim : 120
Original PSP : 153

Pro Evolution Soccer 2007 - Reload time from game menu to play
PSP Slim : 21
Original PSP : 40

Test Drive Unlimited - Load time from XMB to play
PSP Slim : 107
Original PSP : 106

Test Drive Unlimited - Reload time from game menu to play
PSP Slim : 28
Original PSP : 30

WWE! SmackDown vs. RAW 2007 - Load time from XMB to play
PSP Slim : 177
Original PSP : 214

WWE! SmackDown vs. RAW 2007 - Reload time from game menu to play
PSP Slim : 106
Original PSP : 124

Disc Cashing improve older games. Not only new games coded for it.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:52 PM   #13
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by candymanGT
Gamespot Hands-On PSP Slim Loading Performance (in seconds)

Pro Evolution Soccer 2007 - Load time from XMB to play
PSP Slim : 120
Original PSP : 153

Pro Evolution Soccer 2007 - Reload time from game menu to play
PSP Slim : 21
Original PSP : 40

Test Drive Unlimited - Load time from XMB to play
PSP Slim : 107
Original PSP : 106

Test Drive Unlimited - Reload time from game menu to play
PSP Slim : 28
Original PSP : 30

WWE! SmackDown vs. RAW 2007 - Load time from XMB to play
PSP Slim : 177
Original PSP : 214

WWE! SmackDown vs. RAW 2007 - Reload time from game menu to play
PSP Slim : 106
Original PSP : 124

Disc Cashing improve older games. Not only new games coded for it.
So, what you are saying is your buying one this week?

Personally, the silver looks better. Looks more like a hand held. I still have no use for the thing, but I bet it will pick up sales now.

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

Last edited by ExtremeGamer; 09-08-2007 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:30 PM   #14
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
So, what you are saying is your buying one this week?

Personally, the silver looks better. Looks more like a hand held. I still have no use for the thing, but I bet it will pick up sales now.
Remember I wanted one of the slims and excited around E3 when they were announced. I'm debating if I should get the Silver or White.........now with the Best Buy PRP plan putting a hamper in my plan (eg. Zune), I'm kind of hanging tight with what to do. Only option really is to put this up on ebay and then go get a new one.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:31 PM   #15
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by candymanGT
Remember I wanted one of the slims and excited around E3 when they were announced. I'm debating if I should get the Silver or White.........now with the Best Buy PRP plan putting a hamper in my plan (eg. Zune), I'm kind of hanging tight with what to do.
Easy, break the hinge! I told you that months ago. Not like they'll send that off to repair. I doubt they'd do it with a PSP anyway, since they don't with 360's. You should be fine.

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2007, 09:37 PM   #16
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
Easy, break the hinge! I told you that months ago. Not like they'll send that off to repair. I doubt they'd do it with a PSP anyway, since they don't with 360's. You should be fine.
Do you recommend just taking it to the store first to return, instead of trying to call their hotline? I might try that and pull the card that the saleperson told me that it could be returned anytime if there is an issue. Do you mean the hinge on the UMD Drive?

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »