Home

Red light all of the sudden

This is a discussion on Red light all of the sudden within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
MVP

decga's Arena

OVR: 12
Angry Red light all of the sudden

Hey guys and gals. Has anyone had this issue with their PS3? I have had my PS3 since it rolled out at the $600 price. I was balling back then, blessed.

I was doing some editing players for the Show 12. The console was maybe on for two hours. My console has sited in same place for the last year, a cart where I leave console vents open for ventilation. It happened at the blink of an eye. I thought the power went out at my house. The light on the console was a steady red light. The disc was still in the console. I waited a few minutes and pressed the power button. Received green light, just enough time to eject the disc safely. But it power off by itself again.

I left home for a couple of hours and upon returning still not working properly. I guess what is giving me a gilmer of hope. When I press the power button it comes on green, but shuts off after 15 seconds. Any suggestions?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: Red light all of the sudden

I don't know whether it can be fixed or not short of sending it to Sony (do they even fix or send refurbs for the early model PS3's anymore?), but it sounds very similar to the way my first 60 GB died. Only difference was that mine would lose power entirely after about an hour of being on at a time and didn't even show a red light. Fortunately I was able to back up everything I wanted to in one of those hours - mine never just completely stopped working like those with YLOD do (though it was probably on its way to that).

Sorry I can't be of much help, but if it's on its way out, be proud that it's lasted as long as it has. There aren't that many of the original models still working anymore.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
MVP

decga's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
I don't know whether it can be fixed or not short of sending it to Sony (do they even fix or send refurbs for the early model PS3's anymore?), but it sounds very similar to the way my first 60 GB died. Only difference was that mine would lose power entirely after about an hour of being on at a time and didn't even show a red light. Fortunately I was able to back up everything I wanted to in one of those hours - mine never just completely stopped working like those with YLOD do (though it was probably on its way to that).

Sorry I can't be of much help, but if it's on its way out, be proud that it's lasted as long as it has. There aren't that many of the original models still working anymore.
brcruise,

Hey thanks for responding. I guess we are among a dying breed of the original owners. The system lasted along time. This is the first issue I ever had after endless gaming for 5 years.

I found some videos on you tube that take you step by step, which include showing how to take apart the PS3 and work some magic. So we will see what happens.

I don't know if seen my name floating around the BIG board of the Show, so I got figure something out...
Old 07-30-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23

no one really talks about it, but i strongly suspect that for whatever tech reason, The Show is a PS3 killer.

My 60gb YLOD'd while playing the Show 09. And I can't tell you how many people happen to mention freezing, stuttering, shutdowns or YLOD while playing some version of the Show.

Oh well...

Now Playing:

XB1 (Forza Motorsport 6 and Horizon 2)
Switch (Mario Kart and Zelda)
PS3 (old 2k games and the Show)

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »