Home

PlayStation TV (PS TV)

This is a discussion on PlayStation TV (PS TV) within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-14-2014, 08:12 PM   #1
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
PlayStation TV (PS TV)

Thought I'd make a thread for this, only because this isn't exactly just a Vita and I'm sure not everybody would venture in the Vita thread to talk about it.

I forgot that I had pre-ordered it, and I was just informed that it shipped today. I'll probably get it Thursday, though that will not be a day I can really try it out. Won't probably be able to give impressions until Saturday!

Personally, I just can't wait to be able to upload Vita stuff to YouTube now!

Anyone else jumping on this?
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 10-14-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2014, 03:02 AM   #2
Greatness Has Arrived

Burns11's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: PlayStation TV (PS TV)

I was in at about $80, but now I am backing off that until it shapes up a little better. It needs media apps, without Amazon and such it's just going to be a PS4 streamer and I could just as easily buy an extra set of cables and just move the thing when I want to play it in the other room, and it will be better quality and much cheaper.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:06 AM   #3
MVP

icicle22's Arena

OVR: 7

I bought the unit and I am 95% sure it's going back today. I am primarily a sports gamer and the PS4 remote play latency is just too big of an issue for me. I already owned the Vita and would remote play laying in bed at night and it just felt a little off with the latency then (still played it from time to time but was unsatisfied with the response time plus remapped buttons). I was under the assumption that a wired connection would help that with the PSTV but alas it feels about the same.

Additionally the frame rate is bothering me big time. Everything just looks choppy to me. NBA2k15 looks like it's running at 15fps or something. I refuse to believe what I am seeing is 30fps as it just looks jumpy (and I am no way a 60fps elitist). When I walk into the next room and watch the same game live from the PS4 it is buttery smooth and super responsive. Difference is stunning.

I might have been able to still justify keeping it if it had all the media streaming capabilities of Netflix, Hulu or Youtube....heck...if it could even stream videos and music from my local network. But for all intents and purposes it is just a remote connection to my PS4 at the moment and it doesn't do a good enough job at that.

I guess the Vita will have to do for now. The latency is always there but for some reason on the small little screen I do not notice the frame rate or choppiness that I see with the PS TV.

Anyone else feeling this way about it?
Old 10-15-2014, 09:14 AM   #4
So Real!!

ckarlic's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by icicle22
I bought the unit and I am 95% sure it's going back today. I am primarily a sports gamer and the PS4 remote play latency is just too big of an issue for me. I already owned the Vita and would remote play laying in bed at night and it just felt a little off with the latency then (still played it from time to time but was unsatisfied with the response time plus remapped buttons). I was under the assumption that a wired connection would help that with the PSTV but alas it feels about the same.

Additionally the frame rate is bothering me big time. Everything just looks choppy to me. NBA2k15 looks like it's running at 15fps or something. I refuse to believe what I am seeing is 30fps as it just looks jumpy (and I am no way a 60fps elitist). When I walk into the next room and watch the same game live from the PS4 it is buttery smooth and super responsive. Difference is stunning.

I might have been able to still justify keeping it if it had all the media streaming capabilities of Netflix, Hulu or Youtube....heck...if it could even stream videos and music from my local network. But for all intents and purposes it is just a remote connection to my PS4 at the moment and it doesn't do a good enough job at that.

I guess the Vita will have to do for now. The latency is always there but for some reason on the small little screen I do not notice the frame rate or choppiness that I see with the PS TV.

Anyone else feeling this way about it?

Yeah. Same here. I bought the ps tv with the intent to use remote play on a second tv in my house to not drag my ps4 to the other tv. My issue was lag and latency. The fam rate also was a big disappointment for me as well.

I'm not sure what I was doing wrong but I had my ps tv hard wired and the connection test showed 8 down and 1.2 up. I plugged my laptop into the same ethernet connection to test and was able to get 54 down and 12 up.

I'm going to return mine as well.
New Youtube Gaming Channel -- SpicyChicharron
Follow me on Twitter
Old 10-15-2014, 10:00 AM   #5
MVP

icicle22's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckarlic
Yeah. Same here. I bought the ps tv with the intent to use remote play on a second tv in my house to not drag my ps4 to the other tv. My issue was lag and latency. The fam rate also was a big disappointment for me as well.

I'm not sure what I was doing wrong but I had my ps tv hard wired and the connection test showed 8 down and 1.2 up. I plugged my laptop into the same ethernet connection to test and was able to get 54 down and 12 up.

I'm going to return mine as well.
I have 50 down and 5 upload and get 11mbps and 3mbps reported by the PS4 and the PSTV. However these should have no effect since the traffic between the PS4 and PSTV should be staying on your internal network for remote play. The bandwidth should be sufficient unless something is wrong with the network.

My PSvita is wireless obviously and has about the same latency most of the time so I just didn't feel the PSTV improved on this at all. I'd rather move my PS4 than try to play with this much delay and with choppy graphics. Oh well. At least I tried it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2014, 12:35 PM   #6
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Glad I didn't count on this when deciding PS4 vs One for me...Sounds like the remote play feature isn't great, and that would have been a primary seller...

Hope they fix that for you guys
Old 10-15-2014, 12:53 PM   #7
MVP

icicle22's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
Glad I didn't count on this when deciding PS4 vs One for me...Sounds like the remote play feature isn't great, and that would have been a primary seller...

Hope they fix that for you guys
The fact that it works decent with the Vita was pretty slick. I was just expecting a huge improvement with the PSTV and it just isn't there yet. There's just no way around the fact that data has to be sent both ways through an Ethernet cable for input and output. The fact that the delay is around 100ms is great except certain games that is just too long. without all the streaming video options it loses its value fast.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:57 PM   #8
So Real!!

ckarlic's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by icicle22
The fact that it works decent with the Vita was pretty slick. I was just expecting a huge improvement with the PSTV and it just isn't there yet. There's just no way around the fact that data has to be sent both ways through an Ethernet cable for input and output. The fact that the delay is around 100ms is great except certain games that is just too long. without all the streaming video options it loses its value fast.
Agreed. I was expecting a huge improvement over the Vita remote play in terms of lag since both my ps4 and ps tv are hooked up via ethernet cable but it didn't seem to work as I anticipated. Ill stick with my Vita for remote play for now.
New Youtube Gaming Channel -- SpicyChicharron
Follow me on Twitter

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »