Home

Looking at SS relief pitchers...

This is a discussion on Looking at SS relief pitchers... within the Diamond Dynasty forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-03-2019, 10:43 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 9
Looking at SS relief pitchers...

I'm currently working towards getting the Miller SS card. I have the Hoffman SS card.... And the rest of my pen is as follows

Vazquez (85)/Oh (86)/McGee (86)
Yates (88)
Diaz (94)
Hoffman (96)
Chapman (85)
Hader (92)
Trienan (90)

My lineup 1-8 are all signature series cards, my starters (well, 9 or 10) are signature series. I figured I'd try to complete the team and have 25 SS players on one of my lineups. I've got 4 different ones, but only 1 is so geared towards the sig series cards.
I'm never going to get Pudge to catch, because I refuse to spend about half a million on Trout, Aranado, and Betts... Granted, I have almost every other card on those teams. I'm also in need of a Lindor to finish the Indians... But to drop over 400k for Pudge is nuts.

I've got Carter catching fo me now, and he's about as solid a catcher I could ask for. I spent most of the year with Torre behind the plate (got him out of a pack when I DL'ed the digital deluxe edition). And he was great for me. I have him in 2 of my 4 lineups, and Carter in 2.

As much as I want Pudge, if I were to spend about 400k to get a catcher, I'd probably get Posadas SS card. He's a switch hitter who can rake, but he's nowhere near Carter, Bench or Pudge defensively. But the switch hitting bat would be a big boost to my lineup.

ATM it's Righty/Lefty straight down. I've got Ozzie Smith on the bench because of his speed. But Ripken Jr has way more pop. Ozzie is the only SS switch hitter I have right now. Been debating on making a run at Robbie Alomar... And putting Brandon Phillips on my bench (he's been my starter since his SS card dropped and was insanely cheap) even though he's a solid as hell defender, has some speed on the bases, and some pop hitting.

I got waaay off topic... But aside from Troy Percival, Wade Davis, and Billy Wagner, who else is out there that could fill the rest of my bullpen out? I honestly don't NEED another one RO, let alone 6 of them... I have quality guys in the pen. But that's the goal I'm aiming for right now. That way I can be Xhibit-esque and "pimp my team".
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2019, 11:58 AM   #2
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Looking at SS relief pitchers...

If you need a lefty, the All Star game Aroldis Chapman is REALLY good and he's probably a lot cheaper than Wagner would be.
Old 10-04-2019, 05:27 PM   #3
Rookie

DanH35's Arena

OVR: 2

Smith, Eck and Sutter are my go to right handed relievers. I want Fingers SS price to drop because his diamond is really good too.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:05 PM   #4
MVP

ph33's Arena

OVR: 0

I gotta follow this thread because my bullpen ****ing blows and I hate every single one of these mother****ers

What I'm currently rolling with:

SS Rollie
SS Wade Davis
SS Jansen
SS Romo

SS Miller
SS Wagner
Vazquez

I'm really thinking about spending the dough for Kimbrel and Eckersley
Old 10-05-2019, 06:27 AM   #5
MVP

papadell's Arena

Bullpen is the one area I never really invested in. I bought SS Percival but everyone else was pulled or free

Gossage
SS Percival
SS Davis
LS Chapman
SS Hoffman (SUCKS)
BO Vazquez
SS Wagner

I'm intrigued by the Rollie but idk who I'd replace. Gossage has always been good for me even online. Having not played online in a while tho who knows. Percival stays. I guess Hoffman since I cannot get people out with even offline it's just annoying to think I need to spend money to replace a free card thats supposed to be elite. He seems like one of those cards that's only good online on HoF+.

If I ever get Miller I'll replace Vazquez but I'm not running less than 3 lefties and he's slightly better than Venters so he stays for now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2019, 08:09 AM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxatron
Bullpen is the one area I never really invested in. I bought SS Percival but everyone else was pulled or free

Gossage
SS Percival
SS Davis
LS Chapman
SS Hoffman (SUCKS)
BO Vazquez
SS Wagner

I'm intrigued by the Rollie but idk who I'd replace. Gossage has always been good for me even online. Having not played online in a while tho who knows. Percival stays. I guess Hoffman since I cannot get people out with even offline it's just annoying to think I need to spend money to replace a free card thats supposed to be elite. He seems like one of those cards that's only good online on HoF+.

If I ever get Miller I'll replace Vazquez but I'm not running less than 3 lefties and he's slightly better than Venters so he stays for now.

I've had solid diamond players in my own most of the year. I've used Blake Treinen as my closer (his gold card) till I hit 100 saves with him, then was going to just use Hoffman SS to close. Just so happened they released a Blake Treinen 90 overall diamond, so I'm using him to close now because I really like pitching with him.

I haven't invested much time effort or money to build my bullpen. Every pitcher in my Pen, with exception of the 90 overall Trienan, I pulled from a pack. I was going to sell the Diaz 94 card, he sells for a pretty good price (around 30k last I saw) but I've come to really like him. I bought Chapman too (but that was more so I could finish the Yankees team collections). I didn't know he had an all-star card til the other day. I got Brantley and Muncy in my all-star pack when I completed the moments.

I was thinking, since I've got so many starting pitchers that are diamonds that I don't use anymore, I'd sell them off, using quicksell for most of them since I got them in pack or bought them to finish off collections. (Still have to finish the Angels, Indians and Red Sox to finish the AL and get Pudge. But I have Carter behind the plate now, so spending that much money/stubs to complete those 3 teams, well, 3 players, 1 on each team that I won't use except maybe Trout just doesn't seem worthwhile)

I like the Hoffman SS card, but rarely use him to close. I had Billy Wagner, but sold him after I got him (got over 140k for him) so I could round out spots like 3rd with Brett, along with SS Hanley Ramirez as kind of a utility bench player. I did enjoy pitching with him, but at the time, he was a stub lotto ticket. But now, I've got my rotation fitted nicely, although there's a couple of guys I'd still like to get, like the Oswalt SS. I rocked with his 89 ovr card, and enjoy pitching with him. I'm still trying to pitch with Hershieser (I waited to finish off the Dodgers collection, and I'm glad I did. Jansen went from diamond to gold, and his price went from mid 20s to 30k at certain points, I ultimately paid 3k for him. Didn't HAVE to get Kershaw because I've got his SS card.) so after I finished the collection, I quicksold the Kershaw diamond card.

I just wanted to round out my main lineup and staff with all SS cards. So I want to finish up the bullpen. Then I'm going to try to build a lineup/pitching staff of the rewards cards from moments. That's going to blow, because I sold a lot of them chasing down certain cards. I may sell Griffey Jr, I am not sure (I've got the SS Torii Hunter card I can play in center). Just so I've got the stubs to rebuild a lineup and pitching I got rid of and will have to buy back. Not sure how I'll go about it. I have pitched with the AL/NL all star teams in one of the moments, and did like pitching with the Dennis Eckersley SS card, but was tepid with the Rollie SS. So I'm going to be looking...

I appreciate the help and replies. If you can think of any SS relievers that you really enjoy using, please let me know who... So I can check them out for myself. It sort of irks me that we can't even quicksell, or list guys earned like Bartolo Colon signature series when I know I'm never really going to use him. Ice pitched with him a few times, and he's just not my cup of tea. I don't use the Nolan Ryan sig series card either, because both of them have some control issues. So they just sit there wasting space, and not giving me the loot I could use to go after other SS RP'ers.

Again, really appreciate your inputs and insights to this. So please, if there's anyone out there who has a SS RP they really like, let me know, because I'm open to all ideas. Just a small aside (from the manifesto looking post this is) Percivals SS and the Miller SS (from the extreme moments) are the next 2 on my list. Almost bought Percivals card right after I used him in the Guidry SS moments (with the all-star games at the bottom) and I really did like using him.

Edit: I am surprised that you don't care for the Hoffman SS card. I like the selection of pitches he has, and his ability to change speed. Especially with that circle change. I forget how I got his card, or where, but I do use him a considerable amount, although since getting the Edwin Diaz 94 ovr, I'm tending to go to Diaz before considering
using Hoffman. That Diaz card... He throws fire, and he's a strikeout machine. Not that you need him considering the Pen you posted, but if you really hate using Hoffman, give Diaz a look. I got him in one of the flashback packs that you earn working your way to the SS Vlad Guerrero. I've only gotten 2 good cards from those packs (3 packs for every player leading up to the Vlad SS card)

Last edited by BIGROC; 10-05-2019 at 08:17 AM.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:35 AM   #7
MVP

papadell's Arena

I like everything about Hoffman except the way he plays. Anytime I bring him in vs the CPU he gets lit the **** up. I never used him online much but he just gets blasted offline. Wagner does too for that matter.

Honestly the Venters 81 is pretty nasty. I think his BB/9 is really the only bad thing about him and he could easily be a diamond if it was just a little higher. His sinker slider combo is nasty.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:45 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxatron
I like everything about Hoffman except the way he plays. Anytime I bring him in vs the CPU he gets lit the **** up. I never used him online much but he just gets blasted offline. Wagner does too for that matter.

Honestly the Venters 81 is pretty nasty. I think his BB/9 is really the only bad thing about him and he could easily be a diamond if it was just a little higher. His sinker slider combo is nasty.
I nabbed Percival for 40k even... I saw the SS Sergio Romo card... He doesn't appear to have a lot of speed on the 2 fastballs he throws (90 and 91 I think...), I remembered using his LS card, and he wasn't bad. But he's selling for about 10k less than Percivals card is. Around 33k for bids (how I got Percival for 40 instead of 52k). Not sure he'd be worth a sizeable amount like that for a guy who has 5 pitches, but you're not going to get a guy that was mediocre when I used the LS version of him.

Was curious if anyone played with Romos SS card and felt like he was def better in SS form instead of the LS player? If so, what was it you noticed that he was better at that in sig series form?

Gonna get to work earning the Guidry SS card. I had to sell Louisiana Lightnings diamond card to have enough to put a bid down on Percival. I liked pitching with him, he has a nasty curve. I'm hopeful his SS card amplifies some of the nasty pitches he has before. Hopefully the SS version of him has an even slicker curve, and an even better heater.

Thank you for your help.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty »