Home

Ryan Slater's Journey: NHL 09 BAP

This is a discussion on Ryan Slater's Journey: NHL 09 BAP within the Dynasty HQ forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Dynasty HQ
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-20-2008, 04:03 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 11
Ryan Slater's Journey: NHL 09 BAP

So tomorrow is the big day, the NHL Draft. I really hope this works out. I don't expect to go high in the draft, but I better catch on with somebody. I know 5'11, 165 pound, right wingers with little experience aren't in high demand, but my work ethic should get me noticed.

My cousin Jim plays for the Atlanta Thrashers and he said that from his connections he's heard that I'll be a late round pick. That's cool with me. I know I won't be a 1st round choice like him, but I jokingly told him I'd have a better career regardless of my draft position. He laughed, called me a jerk, and wished me luck.

I was born in Grand Rapids, Michigan, and grew up loving the Griffins and Detroit Red Wings. Even when I was traveling all over the place playing junior hockey in the NAHL, I followed both teams as much as I could. It would be great to land with such a successful organization like the Red Wings, but I'm not picky.

After high school, I headed to the Upper Peninsula to attend Northern Michigan University on a hockey scholarship. I've had a good time in the one year I've been here and have met some great people like former NMU players Dallas Drake and Nathan Oystrick. If I get drafted, I'll likely head to the AHL, but I have no problem finishing up my college career at NMU.

During my freshman year at Northern I played in 35 games, scoring 17 goals and registering 9 assists. It was a really good year for me and because of this I was invited to work out during the NHL offseason with some of the best American players at the USA Hockey facility in Colorado Springs, Colorado. I met Patrick Kane, Ryan Miller, Phil Kessel, Erik Johnson, and a ton of other great guys. My game is nowhere near theirs, but it was a great experience for me.

Now I just have to sit back and wait for my phone call tomorrow. My family and friends will be gathered with me at a local pub off campus to see how things go down. Hopefully, by the end of tomorrow I'll be one step closer to my lifelong dream of being an NHL player.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-20-2008, 04:27 PM   #2
MVP

Re: Ryan Slater's Journey: NHL 09 BAP

As I was sitting in the pub watching the time go by, I was starting to get nervous. I played it cool, but inside I started thinking that maybe I wasn't going to get drafted. How humiliating would it be to have all of these people here for nothing? What the hell? 200+ picks and I still haven't been chosen!

Right when I was about to leave and head back to campus searching find a keg to drown my sorrows, I got a call. Bob Freaking Gainey of the Montreal Canadiens!

"Ryan, how would you like to be part of hockey's most prestigious franchise?"

I told Mr. Gainey that would be awesome and a dream come true.

"Well, we're taking you with our next choice. Congratulations, and I look forward to meeting you soon," Mr. Gainey said.

Then I looked at the TV and heard..

"With the 240th pick of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, the Montreal Canadiens select Ryan Slater from Northern Michigan University!"

My family and friends erupted into a thundering roar. This was it, I'm a professional hockey player!

Even though I'm only 19, the bartender said drinks for me were on the house. I gladly accepted the offer and started chugging back a cold one as I heard Pierre McGuire proceed to bash me.

"This kid is only 5'11 and 165 pounds. He's been in college one year already and never even entered last year's draft. I know it's the 240th pick, but Montreal should have chosen more wisely. You won't be seeing this guy at the Bell Centre anytime soon," McGuire said.

Damnit! I just got drafted and this clown is trying to rain on my parade? Whatever, it's cool, all the more motivation for a relatively unknown kid from Grand Rapids. Besides, who cares what McGuire says, the Canadiens wanted me and that's all that matters.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:41 PM   #3
MVP

Like I expected, the Canadiens want to send me to the AHL to play for the Hamilton Bulldogs. I mean it's not like the 240th pick is going to jump straight onto center stage in Montreal...besides I need time to work on my French.

Hamilton coach Don Lever called me and said he wants to put me on the 3rd line with Ryan Flinn and David Desharnais. Awesome! I guess it's goodbye Northern Michigan University. I'm sad to leave because I have good friends here, but this opportunity is too great to pass up.

Coach Lever also outlined the goals he has set for me this season: a +7 or higher rating, 262 hits, 140 shots, and 38 points. That seems manageable enough. He added that he's looking forward to my toughness being a part of Bulldogs hockey.

This is so great! Time to pack my bags and head to Ontario. The season will be starting before too long and I want to make the most of my chance.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:11 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 44

coo another BAP

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Dynasty HQ »