Home

Can't defend the long bomb 1 on 1......

This is a discussion on Can't defend the long bomb 1 on 1...... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2005, 12:49 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 9
Can't defend the long bomb 1 on 1......

Anyone else getting burned by the comp by long, high arching pass's 40+ yards down field? If the d-back is one on one with the receiver there is nothing that can be done to stop it. It'kind of lame. Unless the reciever drops the pass or you've got help from a safety, forget about it. It happens to me 4+ plus times a game....They should have an option to spot the cpu 28 points before the game starts and make it so that doesn't happen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2005, 01:00 PM   #2
DickDalewood

OVR:
Re: Can't defend the long bomb 1 on 1......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactiveman
Anyone else getting burned by the comp by long, high arching pass's 40+ yards down field? If the d-back is one on one with the receiver there is nothing that can be done to stop it. It'kind of lame. Unless the reciever drops the pass or you've got help from a safety, forget about it. It happens to me 4+ plus times a game....They should have an option to spot the cpu 28 points before the game starts and make it so that doesn't happen.
I dunno dude, a lot of people complain about this, but I really don't have a problem... I just take control of my DB, make sure to stay with the recieve, then hit the swat ball button and just the right time. I used to have the same troubles you are, but it was because I was always trying to intercept everything. Now, I just bat the ball down, and things have been fine. I'd say just keep working at it, you'll get it eventually! Good luck!

Old 07-24-2005, 01:13 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickdalewood
I dunno dude, a lot of people complain about this, but I really don't have a problem... I just take control of my DB, make sure to stay with the recieve, then hit the swat ball button and just the right time. I used to have the same troubles you are, but it was because I was always trying to intercept everything. Now, I just bat the ball down, and things have been fine. I'd say just keep working at it, you'll get it eventually! Good luck!
It is true, you HAVE to take control of the CB, use speed burst if necessary to cut off the receiver, and only go for the pick if you are clear of the offensive player. Otherwise use the swat. If you are behind the receiver you have no shot because that pass is on the money every time unless the QB was hurried. I have gotten much better at defending the long ball, although the cpu will still get their fair share. At least it is only about 25% of those long balls now instead of 75%....

If you are really getting killed with it (which probably means your corners aren't very good) then you should really try to pick plays that will keep your safties free to help over the top. I get a lot of picks from my safties this way on deep balls, I very rarely get picks with my CB's on deep balls.

Good Luck!
Old 07-24-2005, 01:21 PM   #4
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdros13
It is true, you HAVE to take control of the CB, use speed burst if necessary to cut off the receiver, and only go for the pick if you are clear of the offensive player. Otherwise use the swat. If you are behind the receiver you have no shot because that pass is on the money every time unless the QB was hurried. I have gotten much better at defending the long ball, although the cpu will still get their fair share. At least it is only about 25% of those long balls now instead of 75%....

If you are really getting killed with it (which probably means your corners aren't very good) then you should really try to pick plays that will keep your safties free to help over the top. I get a lot of picks from my safties this way on deep balls, I very rarely get picks with my CB's on deep balls.

Good Luck!
Exactly what he said. Also helps to put pressure on the QB to hurry the throw.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:52 PM   #5
Banned

AirLobo23's Arena

OVR: 16

and understanding the game of football helps a little too. VERY few corners can cover a good WR one on one. If you're playing a team that has good receivers then you need to play in a cover 2 defense to allow for safety help. Understand the team you're playing against and what their tendencies are and then you will see...of course you're going to get beat with the deep ball constantly if you're in a 4-3 base defense playing against a team like Florida.

You guys act like deep passes aren't completed in real football games with all this whining about it......as far as the game is concerned, it's called user error or lack of understanding how to call a defense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2005, 01:53 PM   #6
Banned

stinkpot's Arena

OVR: 3

The way this works in the game is completely realistic. If you put a 6'2"+ (average WR size) WR one on one against a 5'9"-5'10" (average size for a DB) the WR will win 95% of the time. By sheer fact of he's looking for the ball, the DB is on the receiver and usually doesn't view the ball till its about to get there, vertical and speed.

You have to learn to call better coverages in order to survive on defense. I pride myself on it and have zero problems with this. The CPU did the same thing on 2005 when you ran Cover 2 outside the exact middle of the field (it made the Safeties have a large gap, deep) so you had to run Cover 3 to protect against that.

Just beat me to my point, if you playcall successfully you will not have to do any of the aforementioned things like solo play the CBs or whatever. You just play defense.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:06 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkpot
The way this works in the game is completely realistic. If you put a 6'2"+ (average WR size) WR one on one against a 5'9"-5'10" (average size for a DB) the WR will win 95% of the time. By sheer fact of he's looking for the ball, the DB is on the receiver and usually doesn't view the ball till its about to get there, vertical and speed.

You have to learn to call better coverages in order to survive on defense. I pride myself on it and have zero problems with this. The CPU did the same thing on 2005 when you ran Cover 2 outside the exact middle of the field (it made the Safeties have a large gap, deep) so you had to run Cover 3 to protect against that.

Just beat me to my point, if you playcall successfully you will not have to do any of the aforementioned things like solo play the CBs or whatever. You just play defense.
this is true..however, what is not realistic is that avg. qb's throw bombs with ridiciolus accuracy. both the ai & human can drop lob pass on a dime with very little effort on any skill level.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:10 PM   #8
Banned

stinkpot's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbird
this is true..however, what is not realistic is that avg. qb's throw bombs with ridiciolus accuracy. both the ai & human can drop lob pass on a dime with very little effort on any skill level.
Not on my game, haven't even tweaked the sliders yet. The AI doesn't throw lob bombs when their WR are in double coverage or blanketed. That takes us back to my previous post.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »