Home

Tips on Zone Read

This is a discussion on Tips on Zone Read within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 12-05-2007, 06:44 PM   #1
Pro

Soonerd2's Arena

OVR: 7
Tips on Zone Read

Anyone have one for me. What to look for in the defense. It doesn't seem to me like the blocking scheme is set up correctly. As in reading the DE. He always gets blocked and I can't make my read with the QB. I throw all of the time and would like to add this play in to keep the defense honest rather than a normal option. Thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2007, 07:30 PM   #2
Pro

southside_hitmen's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Tips on Zone Read

I'm probably 90% give on it like you said, because the DE gets blocked. It turns into a zone play. I do read the DE however when they align really wide or the OLB when I am getting a 3-4. You just have to keep giving the ball if the DE is aligned normally and eventually it will pop. One more thing, if they are pre-snap pinched I will give and run it like outside zone or a stretch play where I will go almost straight to the sideline with my RB.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:58 AM   #3
Pro

Soonerd2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by southside_hitmen
I'm probably 90% give on it like you said, because the DE gets blocked. It turns into a zone play. I do read the DE however when they align really wide or the OLB when I am getting a 3-4. You just have to keep giving the ball if the DE is aligned normally and eventually it will pop. One more thing, if they are pre-snap pinched I will give and run it like outside zone or a stretch play where I will go almost straight to the sideline with my RB.
Thanks man. I've been working on it and motion with my WR helps open some things up.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:24 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 30

Like the vast majority of the plays (though they fixed the stretch play this year), the backs are running a "read option" and the line is running "block whatever is in front of you".

Basically, your options are RB up the middle, RB outside, QB up the middle, QB outside. My best advice until you really get the hang of it is to do one thing multiple times, and then use the other player.

It's the primary play I run and I can kind of read it, but there's only so much you can do, especially if you don't have widescreen, and you're players get tackled by off screen blitzers you can't even see.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:36 AM   #5
Pro

Soonerd2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soldier
Like the vast majority of the plays (though they fixed the stretch play this year), the backs are running a "read option" and the line is running "block whatever is in front of you".

Basically, your options are RB up the middle, RB outside, QB up the middle, QB outside. My best advice until you really get the hang of it is to do one thing multiple times, and then use the other player.

It's the primary play I run and I can kind of read it, but there's only so much you can do, especially if you don't have widescreen, and you're players get tackled by off screen blitzers you can't even see.
Thats true the cover 2 corner can kill ya.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2007, 11:20 PM   #6
I Drink Like A Champion!!

yankeesgiants's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerd2
Anyone have one for me. What to look for in the defense. It doesn't seem to me like the blocking scheme is set up correctly. As in reading the DE. He always gets blocked and I can't make my read with the QB. I throw all of the time and would like to add this play in to keep the defense honest rather than a normal option. Thanks
Are you reading the correct defensive end? The weakside end is the one you read (the one that is not covered up by the TE). If he colapses in then you keep it and run to the area he vacates. If the end comes straight up the field then you hand off. If they are in a 3-4 scheme then you treat one of the OLB as a DL. run motion and see if they overload to one side.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »