Home

What Is Patch Approval?

This is a discussion on What Is Patch Approval? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2008, 07:40 PM   #1
Banned

Geekboy's Arena

OVR: 5
What Is Patch Approval?

How does that work? MS and Sony get the patch and what do they do with it and why?

I know there are other games patches they are dealing with but none played by so many as with NCAA or Madden so why does it take them so long? It seems the most popular games would be put to the front.

And why so long? What are they checking? What are they worried about? Viruses?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2008, 07:46 PM   #2
OMT
MVP

OMT's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: What Is Patch Approval?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekboy
How does that work? MS and Sony get the patch and what do they do with it and why?

I know there are other games patches they are dealing with but none played by so many as with NCAA or Madden so why does it take them so long? It seems the most popular games would be put to the front.

And why so long? What are they checking? What are they worried about? Viruses?
They have to make sure it complies with all standards and doesn't cause any crashes or loss of functionality. One of the things that make console games more stable and user friendly over the PC is because of 3rd Party Standards (ie TRCs). PCs don't have those.

I did a cursory check of the web and can't find anything good to show you. I suppose they are confidential. They probably only spend 30 hours or so on a patch, but once you submit you go to the back of the line.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:01 PM   #3
Banned

Geekboy's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
but once you submit you go to the back of the line.
OMT, thanks for the reply. That sucks though. Let's see, we now need to work on this patch and spend 30 hours for a game that maybe 25 people are playing and at the back of the line is a patch that thousands of people are waiting on. Sounds like something Microsoft would do but not Sony.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:04 PM   #4
OMT
MVP

OMT's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekboy
OMT, thanks for the reply. That sucks though. Let's see, we now need to work on this patch and spend 30 hours for a game that maybe 25 people are playing and at the back of the line is a patch that thousands of people are waiting on. Sounds like something Microsoft would do but not Sony.
I really don't know how they prioritize them. But they are industry guys, they've been doing this for years. It isn't really a company thing... all consoles have been this way. Nintendo is probably the most finicky for getting software approved, and their track record of stable, user friendly games speaks to that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »