Home

Who Prefers the PS2 Version Over the Next Gen Versions?

This is a discussion on Who Prefers the PS2 Version Over the Next Gen Versions? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2008, 09:38 AM   #1
All Star

crques's Arena

OVR: 36
Who Prefers the PS2 Version Over the Next Gen Versions?

Ok, so here's what I don't quite get. I have the PS3, 360, and PS2 version of this year's game. After giving all 3 a fairly equal amount of time, I've concluded that for overall fun the PS2 version is the way to go, or at least for me it is. It just feels like a complete all around game and it definitely has the fun factor that the next generation versions are missing. Not to mention the fact that it has nowhere near the amount of bugs and glitches. It might not look near as good as the other two but it sure as hell plays better to me.

For whatever reason, playing the next generation versions just isn't fun for me. I feel like I'm playing the same team no matter if I'm playing Florida or Florida Atlantic. Since there have already been several threads discussing the lack of defense, slider problems, and QB accuracy, I won't get into those. Even if those problems were fixed, I'm not sure that I still wouldn't like the PS2 version better though.

The computer seems to play smarter on the PS2 version, which is very surprising to me. Sure, every now and then you'll see one of those stupid WTF moments in playcalling, and clock management isn't always a priority for the cpu, but I've seen a lot more of those things on the next generation versions.

For example, I was playing the PS3 version over the weekend using Texas playing on the road at USC. I was leading the game 41-31 with a little over 2 minutes to go. USC started a drive on their own 30 yard line after the kickoff. Instead of them wisely using the clock and trying to move the ball downfield, they start the possession with 2 straight run plays that net -3 yards, while calling timeouts after both. On 3rd down, they throw a 6 yard pass underneath. Now I'm expecting them to go for it on 4th down with only 1 timeout remaining down by 10, but instead they decide to punt. WTF? There are way too many possessions like these on the next generation games. What makes matters even worse is that if they would have been winning this game and had the ball about 15 or 20 yards more up field, they would have probably faked the punt. LOL Things like this, coupled with the fact that the computer never tries to stretch the ball downfield, make the next generation games frustrating for me. It's like every team wants to run the West Coast offense mixed with some Option, which is very rarely ever ran right.

Playing the PS2 version last night, I was using North Texas against Tulsa. On Tulsa's first play they went deep on a play-action pass and burned me on a 70 yard bomb. That's something I've yet to see on the PS3 or 360. The computer rarely throws the ball over 20 yards. I think Tulsa ended up throwing at least 6 or 7 passes that were over 30 yards, which was nice to see. Also, after some minor slider adjustments, I'm giving up rushing yards against the computer, which also makes the game more enjoyable. I don't think I've given up 100 yards rushing on the next generation games yet. On the PS2 version, I might hold the running back in check some games and other games I get torched for 125 yards or more. It varies pending on the opponent, which is great.

I want to love the next generation football games and finally give up the PS2 but so far I'm unable to do that. The potential for these games is there but I just keep wondering how long it's going to take for EA to reach it or even come close. For 2 years now I've been excited for the next generation versions and all the hype they bring with them only to find myself spending my gaming time with the PS2 game after being let down and disappointed by the others. Anyone else feeling this way too?

Last edited by crques; 08-18-2008 at 10:27 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2008, 09:39 AM   #2
Bow for Bau

Vince's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Who Prefers the PS2 Version Over the Next Gen Versions?

Are there still College Classics in the PS2 version?

http://twitter.com/52isthemike
Old 08-18-2008, 10:05 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 34

funny that you post this. I feel the same way about the wii madden. I play it more often the my 360 version and I am using it for my franchise run because the engine is better.

As a matter of fact, I was intending to stop by blockbuster and rent the wii version of NCAA. I just cant take what I am seeing much longer.

I like online dynaaty, but I like to play offline too and this game is killing that for me right now.

I simply do not understand why EA could not port the better engine and add the glossy next gen stuff to it for the PS3/36o models.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:39 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 9

I'm thinking about getting this version since I still got the RROD on the ole 360.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:11 PM   #5
MattUMD224

OVR:

i had the ps3 version, had no fun playing it and didnt wanna wait for a patch, so i got the ps2 version...best decision ive made in a while...ive been updating rosters since and waiting for the real seasons to start to start my dynasty

i had a game last night final score 13-9 on heisman

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2008, 12:53 PM   #6
All Star

crques's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattUMD224
i had the ps3 version, had no fun playing it and didnt wanna wait for a patch, so i got the ps2 version...best decision ive made in a while...ive been updating rosters since and waiting for the real seasons to start to start my dynasty

i had a game last night final score 13-9 on heisman
I can relate to that. Speaking of low scores, I beat Arkansas St. 10-6 using Temple last week. It was one of the most fun games I've ever played on any version of NCAA Football. I had a goal line stand with less than a minute to play to preserve the win. They actually scored on a play-action pass on 3rd down but it was called back for holding (YES PENALTIES ARE CALLED). I knocked down their 4th down pass in the endzone to hold on for the win. Lots of fun!!!

Last edited by crques; 08-18-2008 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:01 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 5

I have stuck with the PS2 version even though I would like to upgrade to the PS3.

It just irks me that you need to download a patch to make a game playable.

I understand if it were extras that you could enhance the game. Stadiums, alternate uni's etc... But it seems by the posts for the PS3 version, that you need a patche to get some decent gameplay.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:05 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4

The real difference is the control in the Last gen engine is considerably better. I juke press left and my guy goes left. It is so much more responsive and the fun factor is indicrably better. I wish that next gen would of taken the old PS2 engine and tried to pretty it up. It would of been better than this rebuild pile of dung.
For record I own the PS3 (60gig) and obviously play the PS2 version.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »