Home

NCAA Football 09 Postmortem

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 09 Postmortem within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-13-2009, 09:59 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
NCAA Football 09 Postmortem

It is the perfect time to revisit EA Sports' NCAA Football 09 and discuss the game in postmortem fashion. NCAA 09 did a lot of things right both on and off the field. I wanted to focus specifically on what 09 brought to the table this season, and how these features held up over the course of the 2008 college season. I know there are many of you out there still playing the game -- and many who will not agree with what I have to say -- but as of this week, I feel it is important to at least "officially" end our NCAA Football 09 discussion, and begin our NCAA Football 10 discussions.

Plus, it is always fun to take a look back at a title nearly seven months after release because, at this point, most people can speak more calmly about a title that is not so fresh in their minds. Is the honeymoon officially over? How did NCAA 09 withstand the test of time?

Read More - NCAA Football 09 Postmortem
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS2 / PS3 / Wii / PSP
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2009, 11:20 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34
Re: NCAA Football 09 Postmortem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
It is the perfect time to revisit EA Sports' NCAA Football 09 and discuss the game in postmortem fashion. NCAA 09 did a lot of things right both on and off the field. I wanted to focus specifically on what 09 brought to the table this season, and how these features held up over the course of the 2008 college season. I know there are many of you out there still playing the game -- and many who will not agree with what I have to say -- but as of this week, I feel it is important to at least "officially" end our NCAA Football 09 discussion, and begin our NCAA Football 10 discussions.

Plus, it is always fun to take a look back at a title nearly seven months after release because, at this point, most people can speak more calmly about a title that is not so fresh in their minds. Is the honeymoon officially over? How did NCAA 09 withstand the test of time?

Read More - NCAA Football 09 Postmortem
Speed Kills, thats all I can say about the 2009 version. Nothing else mattered. Take a team of 2* speedy recruits and you'll easily have a national title. Doesn't matter if they are rated D- in every category but speed. You could even line up 5 punters as your O-line. As long as you had speed at the skill positions, you win. period.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:13 PM   #3
MVP

jkra0512's Arena

OVR: 31
I have to agree with you fists. In my online dynasty with my friend, I let him be Miami while I picked Wake Forest. I recruited a WR who was a 2-star but had a 4.20 40-yard dash. I put him in the slot and I could rack up 200-yard games with him on a whim. I hardly threw to my outside WRs because I knew I could give this guy a crossing a route, complete it, and outrun the defense.

From then on I recruited speed only, RBs, CBs, WRs, QBs, all were recruited for their speed regardless of their ratings in other categories. I was winning NCs left and right....just didn't seem right, but I got to brag because I beat him in the ACC Championship Game every season.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
Producer - EA Sports

Bumble14's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkra0512
I have to agree with you fists. In my online dynasty with my friend, I let him be Miami while I picked Wake Forest. I recruited a WR who was a 2-star but had a 4.20 40-yard dash. I put him in the slot and I could rack up 200-yard games with him on a whim. I hardly threw to my outside WRs because I knew I could give this guy a crossing a route, complete it, and outrun the defense.

From then on I recruited speed only, RBs, CBs, WRs, QBs, all were recruited for their speed regardless of their ratings in other categories. I was winning NCs left and right....just didn't seem right, but I got to brag because I beat him in the ACC Championship Game every season.

I agree with you guys that speed was a major emphasis in this game-but not as drastic as Fists is trying to make it out to be.

To play devil's advocate here- aren't the fastest teams the best teams in real life as well? You can't teach speed, but you can pretty much teach everything else in football. Look at your National Champion as a prime example.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:07 PM   #5
Rookie

desertdevil88's Arena

OVR: 2

I think the real issue was the lack of disparity in the other skills. For example, a LB with good speed and marginal tackling/coverage was far better than one with marginal speed and good tackling/coverage. What's the difference between C+ catching and D+ catching for a CB? One, two drops a season? It really simplified the recruiting process in a negative way.

Make some cash by betting for free at centsports.com!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2009, 02:26 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble14
I agree with you guys that speed was a major emphasis in this game-but not as drastic as Fists is trying to make it out to be.

To play devil's advocate here- aren't the fastest teams the best teams in real life as well? You can't teach speed, but you can pretty much teach everything else in football. Look at your National Champion as a prime example.
My point is no other stat matters besides speed. And there is an overabundance of offensive skill speed guys. Many of them ranked 2 & 3*'s. I don't mind having a few elite burners in the game. How many Percy Harvin's are there in the NCAA? But make them 5* prospects so everyone recruits them.

But it is WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY too easy to recruit 2 & 3* 99 speed guys that just blow the defense out of the water.

And if you are citing the national champions, yes they have speed on offense, but look at the final score too, a good defense can keep them in check. I could recruit just 2* speed and beat Florida on the toughest Heisman sliders, probably even roll the scoreboard.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:34 PM   #7
Rookie

Trini G1aDiaToR's Arena

OVR: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble14

You mean Utah right? This years true National Champion!
Old 01-13-2009, 03:17 PM   #8
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

OVR: 17

This game was dead to me by October.

The demo was better than the retail version.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »