Home

Limiting playbook

This is a discussion on Limiting playbook within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-30-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
Limiting playbook

It is quite possible this has been addressed before but I was thinking today about how to more effectively limit a player (human) when an injury occurs, players graduate, coaches are hired/fired etc. I am sure this isn't a new idea, but I don't really know how to search for it on the forums and I do not keep up with the day to day posts in the forum in the off season, so here it is for discussion:

One of the ways that I think would greatly improve the coaching aspects of this game is to have a rating attached to each play that might equate to the difficulty in running the play. Say a simple dive play is rated a 50 and a play with multiple routes or more complex blocking schemes might be an 80. Now, each player has a playbook rating and only players who have a rating high enough can run that play. Plays in the playbook that cannot be run would just be greyed out on the play selection screen. This would affect several aspects of a game. Such as:

1. Your QB goes down in the middle of the 3rd quarter and the hot shot freshman comes in. He he's speedy and has a rocket arm, but his playbook rating is 45. It limits him to about 20 or the 50 or so plays in the playbook. This makes the defense's job easier and make it more difficult for the user to overcome the injury.

2. Coaches. I hate micromanaging organizations because most of the time it doesn't mean squat what the price of a hotdog is when it comes to winning championships. However, if there were decisions that might make it easier to win a championship, I might turn my attention to it. Each coach would have a playbook rating that would determine how much time could be allotted each week in practice to learning to playbook. This would be position specific for each assistant coach (QB, DB, RB coaches, etc).

3. Graduation would also affect this as there would be a need to prep the guys for the next years of your dynasty. You might not need to put much time in your starting RB's slot to be learning the play book if he's an 83 and there are 3 games left in his senior year, but if your backup RB is at 56, you are going to struggle getting started the next season.

There could probably be many variations but I think I have made my point and would like to hear feedback, or just a post saying, "We've thought of this already!"
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
S**c*d* P**l C*-Ch*mp**n

OVR: 40
Re: Limiting playbook

I love this....
Old 03-30-2009, 03:52 PM   #3
Pro

Cane_Mutiny's Arena

OVR: 11

Hmm, I like it. Interesting idea.
That a life without knowledge is death in disguise?"
Old 03-30-2009, 04:11 PM   #4
MVP

Young J 334's Arena

OVR: 16

Now THIS I like! Imagine havin a 1 or 2 star program + a limited playbook. Talk about a challenge.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

I had a similar idea for Madden some months back. There was some good rebuttals to it though so it changed my mind.

Basically, if they (as in the dev teams) differentiate the quarterbacks enough, you shouldn't have to limit the playbook. The disparity in QB skills should determine what plays you call and the throws you make.

I'll use a NFL example: if Romo goes down at any point in the game, my second string QB should lack some of the abilities that Romo has, thus limiting the throws I make with him. I should be able to tell the difference between most starters and their backups.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2009, 05:44 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
I had a similar idea for Madden some months back. There was some good rebuttals to it though so it changed my mind.

Basically, if they (as in the dev teams) differentiate the quarterbacks enough, you shouldn't have to limit the playbook. The disparity in QB skills should determine what plays you call and the throws you make.

I'll use a NFL example: if Romo goes down at any point in the game, my second string QB should lack some of the abilities that Romo has, thus limiting the throws I make with him. I should be able to tell the difference between most starters and their backups.
Your example does not at all reflect the OP's suggestion. On the NFL level, this is irrelevant because all the quarterbacks have likely memorized every play, however, it is highly unlikely that a true freshman quarterback has every single play remembered. What you're talking about is that a worse quarterback should have less ability... which is something else entirely.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:04 PM   #7
MVP

Kriech23's Arena

OVR: 17

ahhh, great idea, but will the CPU also have a limited playbook and if they do then wouldn't that make them even easier to stop than on 09 when they had every play in the playbook. It's a good thought but could be boring seeing the CPU use a dive play 18 times in a game
Old 03-31-2009, 10:20 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

Great idea. I love it. It would make this game very authentic.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »