Home

Kick Returns

This is a discussion on Kick Returns within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2009, 04:14 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 16
Kick Returns

I'm noticing that when kicking to the CPU, almost every return has a chance of going back for six. The problem I'm seeing is that the entire coverage team gets knocked flat on their butts as soon as they engage with the kick return blockers. No matter who I choose, my guy always gets knocked down. I've had two kicks get returned for TD's against me this game. After reviewing the replay of the last one, 9 of the 11 guys were knocked down when they engaged with the returning team. So it left two guys (one being my kicker) to try and stop the returner.

Is anyone else noticing this? I'm not noticing it as much with teams that have better kickers, but it's there every time when I'm using a kicker with little power. When you have a more powerful kicker, it seems like it gives your team time to get back up and track down the returner.

Has anyone here ever *not* been knocked down when engaging with the CPU's return team? For me, it's literally 100% of the time that I'm being knocked down, thus creating a gaping hole in my return defense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2009, 07:17 AM   #2
Pro

fcboiler87's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Kick Returns

I have to agree with you on this. I'm playing on All-American level. I just watch on my kickoff as at least 6 guys are absolutely pancaked. Everytime. In one game, I had two kickoffs returned for touchdowns on me and I've had about 5 all season 6 games into it. It seems pretty ridiculous. I don't control anyone anymore, I just let the CPU handle it because it seems there's no other way to stop it.

On the other hand, when I am returning kicks, it's not quite the same story. I have had some nice looking returns, but I can't tell you how many times I've been caught at the 2 or 3 yard line. The guy who catches me is some slow linebacker. "Pursuit angles" at work I guess. But I would love to see a slow linebacker catch a fast wide receiver on a kick return in real life just because he took a great pursuit angle.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:52 AM   #3
Pro

skow05's Arena

OVR: 9

Try playing with the run block slider, it seems to affect the kickoff blocking alot. 55 run block is pancakes left and right like you guys were explaining and 50 run block is better but I still was able to return kicks at an alarming rate. I've been rolling with 45 run block and it seems good so far as far as kick returns are concerned.

Cowboys

Knicks
PSN - Skow
Old 07-21-2009, 10:19 AM   #4
Rookie

teammaxwell's Arena

OVR: 10

I kickoff to the right or left side - then select a guy and run around the defenders by using the left analog stick... it looks stupid, but 9/10 times I am the one that brings down the return man. but I do see what you are saying, because when I don't get to the return man, he generally makes it to the 40 or 50... but I have yet to have one taken back for 6.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:36 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by teammaxwell
I kickoff to the right or left side - then select a guy and run around the defenders by using the left analog stick... it looks stupid, but 9/10 times I am the one that brings down the return man. but I do see what you are saying, because when I don't get to the return man, he generally makes it to the 40 or 50... but I have yet to have one taken back for 6.
I play about 2/3 of my games with my roommate (2 humans vs. cpu) and I have noticed this as well. If we have two users serpentining down the field I can normally get them around the 18-25yardline with a decent kickoff man. But if one of us misses or gets knocked down it is most likely going to the 35-45.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2009, 10:42 AM   #6
MVP

slthree's Arena

OVR: 15

Run Block Slider is one element, yes.

But, for my experience, I have all but solved the problem. I'm labbing Varsity Sliders and am getting great games but in my many games of testing I was giving up one return per game minimum and on a handful of occasions, 2 returns per game.

I finally relaized that my coverage team was doing 2 things that contributed to the problem:

1. running likes bats out of hell with no regard to lanes and not trying to avoid blockers

2. trying to kill the returner, or worse, trying to strip the ball while attempting a weak tackle.

Before every kick I set my "gameplan" to pink. I believe its called "Conservative". Problem immediately solved.

1. smarter routes to the returner, even avoiding blocks. This means more than one guy attempting a tackle so when the returner breaks a tackle there are now 2 more guys in the vicinity

2. surer tackles. quite often, just one man now brings down the returner. if you watch closely (and I do because I replay every single down while I'm testing sliders) you will see much 'safer' tackle animations where the wrapping up of the runner is more important to my guy than the big hit

Now, this doesn't mean you will never give up a return for TD but it will solve the problem of 'too many'.

I feel the "gameplan" feature is brilliant and works as intended in all facets of the game. I love it and its not talked about enough.

Last edited by slthree; 07-21-2009 at 10:44 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »