Home

Would you guys like a paradigm shift in NCAA to focus on coaches?

This is a discussion on Would you guys like a paradigm shift in NCAA to focus on coaches? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-31-2009, 03:18 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Would you guys like a paradigm shift in NCAA to focus on coaches?

I was just thinking last night that what is most missing from NCAA is storylines. It is the storylines that make college football great. Everyone wants to know if Lane Kiffin can back his big talk with big production, or if Saban can get back to the level at Bama that he had LSU at, or if Rich Rod can be successful at Michigan, etc.

But, as it pertains to NCAA, head coach storylines might not be as pertinent (since you are the head coach or your school) as assistant coaches and their storylines. I want to see assistants and see them move around, see them be successful and move up to head coaches, or see them fail and end up on the job market. I want to see those assistants be able to affect their player's development and/or have certain "perks" attached to them. I also want to see them make play suggestions in the game, and ditch the "Ask Corso" suggestion. Good coordinators can make better suggestions than bad ones. I want to have trouble hanging onto a coordinator who has a good year. Heck, maybe even have a promises system for allowing them to stay. Also, your coaches might be able to develop relationships with certain recruits and give you a bonus with them. But, the downside is that, if the assistant leaves, it will hurt you with that recruit.

Also, I want to see CPU teams adjust their playstyle according to whatever coaches than have on board at the time. If Penn State hires a spread passing coach like Mike Leach to replace JoePa, I want to see Penn State use Texas Tech style plays, etc.

Furthermore, let me make decisions about my program. For instance, let me be a workaholic type coach of a laid back "player's coach". If you're the workaholic type, then you get more recruiting points to spend, but, it is harder to keep assistants. Furthermore, some players might want to play for a coach like you, but, some might not. If you are the laid back coach, you might get less recruiting points and have more discipline problems (bring back a revamped, story-driven discipline system other than the random one from the previous generation), but, you will have an easier time keeping assistants, and maybe more players might want to play for a laid back guy like you.

Obviously, you can get a lot more in-depth than just this, but, I think some systems like these (and others that have been suggested here and elsewhere on the board) would add SO much depth to the dynasty mode.

Now, that NCAA is finally getting the on-the-field system to where it is pretty good (after some glitches are cleaned up), I think it would be an excellent time to start fleshing out Dynasty mode a little more. For me, the coaches are the big thing, so much of college football keys around coaches - player development, schemes, recruiting.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:37 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Its a good idea and also why it would be nearly impossible for a non-BCS team to compete for the title year in and year out. They may have a good few years because they have a young genius coach or awesome recruitier, but these guys get snagged up and the program slips back into obscurity.

Any lesser team with a good coach eventually has him plucked by one of the big dogs because they have the deep pockets and the Alumni demand for a winning program. Central Michigan couldn't keep Brian Kelly and now he's at Cincy, He continues to win at Cincy he'll be a Big XII team X or Big Ten Team X, etc.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:43 PM   #11
Pro

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
Its a good idea and also why it would be nearly impossible for a non-BCS team to compete for the title year in and year out. They may have a good few years because they have a young genius coach or awesome recruitier, but these guys get snagged up and the program slips back into obscurity.

Any lesser team with a good coach eventually has him plucked by one of the big dogs because they have the deep pockets and the Alumni demand for a winning program. Central Michigan couldn't keep Brian Kelly and now he's at Cincy, He continues to win at Cincy he'll be a Big XII team X or Big Ten Team X, etc.
Very good point
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2009, 04:27 PM   #12
Pro

WolverinesFinest's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sois
Yeah, it could be amazing. Maybe there are some data limitations with 120 teams, but I would add something simple to start. Maybe a "perks" system like CoD.

Quick Question: Does JoePa get old in NCAA 10 and retire? Or does he stay there for 30 years? Are there coaching changes?
College hoops 2k8 had a coaching carousel with more than 120 teams so thas no excuse
Old 07-31-2009, 05:11 PM   #13
Rookie

TimLawNYC's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage

That's exactly the type of career progression that could make a mode like this awesome. You start out at 1* schools, and if you're successful you get more and better job offers from bigger schools. It seems like we had this kind of coaching career/progression years ago on previous systems. . . what happened?
Old 07-31-2009, 05:17 PM   #14
Rookie

jcraig33's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverinesFinest
College hoops 2k8 had a coaching carousel with more than 120 teams so thas no excuse

EXACTLY what ncaa football needs. The coach hiring and firing system on that game was awesome. It was not overly complex, but it was still good enough to where the coaches made a difference on teams. I remember that one dynasty, Rick Majerus somehow ended up at Denver (yes, Denver) when he got fired from St. Louis U. Denver became a dominant program in their conference and were always dangerous in the tournament because of the style they played (slow, methodical motion offense, killer zone defense). I still love ncaa 2k8, best college bball game ever. I really really wish ncaa footbal would implement something like this. I also liked the way you had to start from a weak program and work your way to the better schools. Also, you had to hire assistant coaches who would cover your weak areas as a coach (such as charisma in recruiting). So much fun, I still never get tired of going through it.

Last edited by jcraig33; 07-31-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:40 PM   #15
MVP

sdid22's Arena

OVR: 18

I agree there is so much that could be done but starting with something basic and adding over the years is cool too.

Assistant coaches could progress due to their postion results, team success, unit success if they are a cooardinator, recruiting success. You should also gain more points or (whatever system you use) based on the head coach you work under. The head coach could have some areas of expertise and they would naturally rub off on the assistants.

Also if you leave a school to move up it would be cool to be able to ask some of your assistants to go with you. This could be used just like the swaying a kid into staying in school in recruiting. They would have an interest meter and all and could accept deny the offer depending on their own goals.

You could have coaches that are characterized as money seeker, young guns, hall of famers, winner, loyalty, recruiters, offensive, defensive, gamblers, conservative, dictator, collaborative, players coach, hard ***, micromanagers, let my assistants do the job (Bobby Bowden), program builder, etc. There is so much you could do with it that I can't even stay on track.

I don't care how they do it just implement some of the ideas from this thread into the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2009, 05:45 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31

This is all good and stuff but we can only dream. I doubt the devs or rather the head guys are interested in catering to the few thousand hardcore dynasty guys who want this mode developed. They would rather add more boxed animations and anything the last madden had that fans loved.

But I would love to see a complete overhaul of dynasty mode. I would love to have a better history of a coach of his top guys to go to the NFL, assistants who found jobs around the country, a complete career history not just the 10 recent years and everything before that is completely erased. I want to have a Belichick type coaching tree.

This history can hurt and or favor you in recruiting whether or not your program is truly epic and not just because of its name.

And I love the idea of the perk system for assistant coaches. I think past maddens had this to the effect of an Offensive coordinator giving like +3 arm strength if he was a quarterbacks guy or + 2 tackle for a D guy. Thats all good stuff.

I know the 2k college hoops coaching system was epic and the legacy mode was fantastic. My favorite thing in college hoops was the recruiting. As hit and miss as it was, small schools obviously had a hard, and i mean hard time getting the top dogs, but when you did get one, tell me is wasn't the best feeling when you beat out UNC for the top gaurd in the country. NCAA recruiting seems complex but its fairly easy to get a top 25 class with babycake schools. And please oh please put a cap on scholarships. 25 a year where we have to cut 12 guys and even decent seniors is tough. I hate having a senior wr at 84 overall and somehow getting 4 freshman wr at 78+ and having to ruin his career for the sake of my program's future.

Putting in a more complex version of college hoops recruiting along with elements from the current recruiting would be a great step in adding the feeling of constructing your team and that attachment to that team.

And sorry for mooching off of college hoops again...But the progression in that game is also a fantastic thing. A 3 star gaurd at mich state came in at 75 and by his junior year he was a 83 and had a stellar year thus leaving for the draft. Those teams dont need 5 90 overall starters to be good in that game and neither should ncaa(football). I was in my 5 year with ole miss (simulated for the sake of having a fully self recruited team) and my thrid string guys were at 88 overall. Not good bro.

Anyway, these additions along with a plethora of others would give NCAA an extreme push over the edge and break it out of the silly madden game's shadow. And we will stop calling it the madden port, stop moooching it for 4 years of draft classes (lol), and play it for countless more hours.

P.S. please add a dynasty continue. Its kind of annoying starting fresh every year when I just want my guys from 09 in the new game.

Stay cool people

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »