Home

Whats up with the Run Commit Gimmick?

This is a discussion on Whats up with the Run Commit Gimmick? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 08-26-2009, 12:07 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 5
Re: Whats up with the Run Commit Gimmick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma4Life
The consequence for strip ball strategy should be missed tackles, not facemasks.
User controlled strips DO result in a lot more missed tackles. Sometimes they wrap up then try to strip it and then the runner gets away. But the facemask is still a little much too.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:05 PM   #18
Pro

Dbrentonbuck's Arena

OVR: 6

I actually like the idea of the defensive keys. On older versions it was hard to stop the run up the middle on 3rd downs. Even if I shifted my line and sent all three LB into the gaps, the CPU would seem to run right by the blitz. It frustrated me, because I should be able to shut down the middle run if they aren't a completely dominate O-line. The only problem is that it is too over powered. I don't think that you should be able to get so far into the back field so fast, but I do think you should be able to stop a run up the middle either at the line of scrimmage or for less than 2 yard gain if you are willing to sell out for that play. The problem with it is that if it is a pass play, the rush just continues to the QB. What should happen is that if you sell out for the run and they run PA pass, you should get burned bad because all of your rush should be focused on the RB.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:36 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrentonbuck
On older versions it was hard to stop the run up the middle on 3rd downs. Even if I shifted my line and sent all three LB into the gaps, the CPU would seem to run right by the blitz.
I am going to be the bearer of bad news, but typically blitzes are not the enemy of the run game. LBs don't see the play develop as well as they should and the RB can adjust. Plus, the overpursuit leaves the middel of the field open.

Gap logic doesn't necessarily work here because any OL will try to get his man in front of the backer thus plugging the hole and creating a larger hole.

Smart linebackers that watch the play develop and react quickly ... that stops runs.

Quote:
The only problem is that it is too over powered. I don't think that you should be able to get so far into the back field so fast, but I do think you should be able to stop a run up the middle either at the line of scrimmage or for less than 2 yard gain if you are willing to sell out for that play.
There are defenses that are aligned for selling out to the run - goalline.

I don't disagree that perhaps some sort of defensive "boost" should exist. But it should be minor. VERY minor.

You could sell out all day last year to the run and Bama was still going to pound you. That's football.

Quote:
The problem with it is that if it is a pass play, the rush just continues to the QB. What should happen is that if you sell out for the run and they run PA pass, you should get burned bad because all of your rush should be focused on the RB.
That's DEFINITELY true.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:46 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
I have no problem with the focus on a player or Pass commit, but the Run commit turns the Oline into bowling pins. Too easy to abuse if you call certian defenses and spread the line, run commit middle ruins the game.
Ding ding.

This is the biggest problem IMO. Spreading your line and run committing. Obviously run commit can be exploited, but if someone spreads out their line in a 3-2-6, or dime and run commits middle it's going to be somewhat tough to run the ball even if you have a big set up there. If they control the safety they can key on outside runs also.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:19 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 17

Holy crap, probably funniest thread I have read in YEARS!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2009, 07:11 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
Holy crap, probably funniest thread I have read in YEARS!

What's so funny about it? It's a serious issue that is destroying the online rushing game.

What's so funny about stuffing a power running game out of dime defense?
Old 08-26-2009, 08:52 PM   #23
MVP

OVR: 37

EA's NCAA FOOTBALL 10 marketing strategy is to attract:
1. 14 year olds and under
2. Fanboys
3. Casuals

Let's face it people. This game is no longer catered to the hardcore community. EA has taken the approach to make this game general and simple to appease the masses. EA seems to believe that the young/causal audience is where the money is.

Contrast this with say 06... a game that looked, felt, and played like college football. Formation subs and custom playbooks are hardcore items. The causal gamers needs seem to be run committ steroid game planning, and season showdown.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:04 PM   #24
MVP

Jason_19's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYMO76
Let's face it people. This game is no longer catered to the hardcore community. EA has taken the approach to make this game general and simple to appease the masses. EA seems to believe that the young/causal audience is where the money is.
I agree.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »