Home

Player Lock - Best New Feature in last 10 years

This is a discussion on Player Lock - Best New Feature in last 10 years within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2009, 02:39 PM   #1
Pro

acarrero's Arena

OVR: 10
Player Lock - Best New Feature in last 10 years

I am dumbfounded by the lack of mention or lack of praise as to this new feature. It is, IMO, the coolest new gameplay feature I've seen in many years with this franchise.

The IGN review didn't even mention it (if they did it was a small mention and I missed it). There are barely any posts as to this cool new feature. While it sucks that you can't use it online, it is the biggest improvement to the game over last year. Why?

1) It finally lets you play defense from the defensive side. This was something they should've done many years ago - flip the defense's perspective to their side as had been done in previous video football games. It feels more natural to attack the QB straight on instead of moving your player "backwards". You can't see the whole field since you only control one player, but the views and action of controlling just one player are fantastic, see #2.

2) It gives you completely new angles from which to view the game, and the stadiums, players, plays, animations, etc. takes on a whole new life. It single-handidly makes the game, especially playing defense, a lot more refreshing.

Again, I cannot understand how this feature has been ignored for the most part, it is a huge improvement and my main reason for buying this game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2009, 02:53 PM   #2
MVP

Hoos's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Player Lock - Best New Feature in last 10 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by acarrero
I am dumbfounded by the lack of mention or lack of praise as to this new feature. It is, IMO, the coolest new gameplay feature I've seen in many years with this franchise.

The IGN review didn't even mention it (if they did it was a small mention and I missed it). There are barely any posts as to this cool new feature. While it sucks that you can't use it online, it is the biggest improvement to the game over last year. Why?

1) It finally lets you play defense from the defensive side. This was something they should've done many years ago - flip the defense's perspective to their side as had been done in previous video football games. It feels more natural to attack the QB straight on instead of moving your player "backwards". You can't see the whole field since you only control one player, but the views and action of controlling just one player are fantastic, see #2.

2) It gives you completely new angles from which to view the game, and the stadiums, players, plays, animations, etc. takes on a whole new life. It single-handidly makes the game, especially playing defense, a lot more refreshing.

Again, I cannot understand how this feature has been ignored for the most part, it is a huge improvement and my main reason for buying this game.
There has been some love thrown around for this feature, just not in a thread dedicated to it by name. Much like you, I love it for the same reasons, gives the game a whole new vibe. On defense, I don't player switch after the snap to help aid the CPU running game mainly, so I use the player lock to control either an OL or LB on most plays.

PSN: hoos4974
Old 07-23-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
Rookie

andy4theherd's Arena

OVR: 5

this feature is a godsend for the "purist" and those wanting sim results.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:01 PM   #4
Banned

mvandor's Arena

OVR: 7

Well, it's flawed.

First it won't stay locked, you have to relocate the player and re-lock before each play, ann unnecessary time waster.

Second, not being able to react to the CPU offense from more than one position gives it a great advantage. It shouldn't.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:07 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

the computer controlled players are dumb..lose EVERYTIME if its up to them
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2009, 04:18 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

This feature is great, but it was in the game last year (via Campus Legend). I think it's awesome that we can use it in any game this year. If you lock onto the HB during a running play, you have so much more control at the start of the play. It seems like you're able to hit the holes better. Overall, it's a great feature, but we've seen it before.

Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com/beeneeb
Old 07-23-2009, 04:29 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 39

I would have to disagree....

Mix & Match uniforms win by a land slide
Old 07-23-2009, 04:35 PM   #8
Banned

Bigdmo9999's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORN4CORN
I would have to disagree....

Mix & Match uniforms win by a land slide
no way, mascot mash-up by a mile

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »