Home

Defense

This is a discussion on Defense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-25-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 6
Defense

when i am on defense i am consistentely giving up way too many passing yards and completions. i could be florida and playing army and they would be going 14-15. i need to know what some of you use to shut down the pass. i have tried everything. when i would blitz they would do a quick throw to a reciever. when i would play regular defense they would find somebody open. give me a playbook or a play that works great at stopping the pass, i can deal with them trying to run but i can't stop the pass.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
Rookie

gator15's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Defense

i play with florida and put picks on aggressive. I allow about 200 passing yards and 3 or 4 picks a game. Also blitz with spikes off the edge. He has good speed and power, and gets to the QB alot.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:40 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 13

Play man. Zone is broken.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:58 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

I've had some success with the "Press" plays.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:15 AM   #5
Rookie

Raddy's Arena

OVR: 1

I originally posted this on another thread but it applies here.

I usually play as Georgia Tech so my run defense is pretty good and my pass defense is so-so, C- level. I set all the defensive options to aggressive (except for "Strip Ball" because facemask penalties suck). I'm too impatient to sift through the formations so I'll usually just go through the "Ask Corso" plays and find something with good zone coverage and lots of blitzing (but not too much). This strategy has worked pretty well against other players, but it takes some adjusting to get it right against the CPU because the computer is much more adept at using short passes and hot routes to counter the blitz.

Most of my defensive strategy is playing the pass because, honestly, that's most players' offensive strategy. If it's on off-balance formation (an I-formation with one tight-end, for example), I'll usually crash the D-line to the strong side to pick up the run but keep everything else normal.

If it's a 4-wide shotgun formation, I select "Play the Pass" strategy in addition to keying the RB to watch for the screen. With constant blitzing on fast QBs, you run the risk of giving up yards to the scramble, so if you're getting burned by that, select a defensive end and give him a "QB Spy" hot route. This will usually limit the QB to no more than two yards or on the run.

Another thing I see burning a lot of guys is setting a linebacker or someone in the secondary to manual control. I don't know about guys, but it's tough for me to do zone coverage manually and still keep it effective. I always play as a defensive lineman; it makes getting a sack more likely and also makes you more effective at picking up the run.

As for picking up the short pass, it's tough, but it can be done. The key is to watch who they are using as their hot route when you blitz. If they are throwing quick passes to the receivers, blitz your line backers and keep your corners on man coverage. If he's hitting the tight end or wingbacks, blitz the corners and put the linebackers on tight zone coverage.

The biggest key to good defense is to adapt. This can be done with the defensive strategies...if they're breaking a lot of tackles, set "Big Hits" to normal or "Strip Ball" to conservative. If you're getting beat deep, set "Zone Coverage" to normal or conservative. Just make small adjustments till it works. And for God's sake BLITZ!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2009, 03:40 PM   #6
Text Battle Rec: 36-4

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by football5680
when i am on defense i am consistentely giving up way too many passing yards and completions. i could be florida and playing army and they would be going 14-15. i need to know what some of you use to shut down the pass. i have tried everything. when i would blitz they would do a quick throw to a reciever. when i would play regular defense they would find somebody open. give me a playbook or a play that works great at stopping the pass, i can deal with them trying to run but i can't stop the pass.
In my current OD I've been having the same issue ( I hope they don't read this). Everything has to do with awareness it seems. My CB's are young with overalls 84+ but their awareness is like 60. Once their awareness rises up a bit, when you BnR it should be much easier. I went from giving up only 175 yards with a experienced secondary to know allowing well over 300 yards a game with my current one.

But like someone else stated run man majority of the time. Zone for me works but then again I only blitz from zones.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:31 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by twl221
Play man. Zone is broken.

i think zone is broken as well. i can use a cover 2/3 or any other type of zone plays and it seems like 7/10 times there will be a wide open TE 8 yards down the middle or a WR with no one near him on the sideline. How does the middle not get covered in Zone? Im not too good at using a LB to manually cover the middle so i usually control a DLineman or a blitzing LB but i also get burned on the pass against good players.

I dont mean to hijack a thread, but since its the same subject, what do yall use to defend the screen? i get burned up on it a lot as well.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:16 PM   #8
Text Battle Rec: 36-4

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43
For a HB screen pass you have to run straight to the HB once you see the line pull. For a Wr screen play man. For all the other screens it's read and react not really much you can do about them but keep yourself in position to make a play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »