Home

Question for user-controlled player on defense

This is a discussion on Question for user-controlled player on defense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-24-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
Banned

silentrob's Arena

OVR: 1
Question for user-controlled player on defense

This has been giving me fits. I've been playing a LB on defense, usually a MLB/ILB. When the play starts I wait an instant to read what the play is going to be before reacting like LBs are supposed to when not blitzing. However, all the time, the game takes over and has the player move on his own while I am trying to read what is going on. Far too often this means vacating the hole that the running play goes straight through resulting in a healthy running gain against me, which would be plugged if I had control of the dude the whole time.

I am guessing there is nothing to do about this, but if anyone can suggest what they do to minimize the issue, I'm all ears. Cheers!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2010, 01:33 AM   #2
Rookie

Shade Shadows's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Question for user-controlled player on defense

Right from the beginning of the play, hold down the left trigger to strafe. It will immediately put the LB under you control. If you don't move while holding down strafe, your LB will sit in his position.
NBA: Boston Celtics
MLB: SF Giants
Old 03-28-2010, 09:37 PM   #3
Banned

silentrob's Arena

Good call, that works. Now for a new question. Whatever player I am controlling is totally weak. As in, whenever I'm running to the ball, if a blocker so much as touches me, my dude is pancaked most of the time instantly. Is this because I usually am sprinting?
Old 03-28-2010, 09:46 PM   #4
Banned

silentrob's Arena

Oh, one more quick question while I am here. I have had several times what appears to be a bad mistake in my defense for guys I'm not controlling. Often my safeties will be in position for run support on outside runs, but when the guy comes outside they will just backpedal instead of coming up to make the play. One play today the RB was on the 2, the safety was right at the goal line, and he just backpedaled into the end zone while the RB walked in, when they were right in front of each other.

I assume this is just inept programing by EA? I remember guys would do this on the original playstation versions of the game, but shouldn't a decade be sufficient time to program this out of the game?
Old 03-29-2010, 10:14 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentrob
Good call, that works. Now for a new question. Whatever player I am controlling is totally weak. As in, whenever I'm running to the ball, if a blocker so much as touches me, my dude is pancaked most of the time instantly. Is this because I usually am sprinting?

I also play as the MLB. Make sure you LB has a good str rating. I use 80 as a mininum str requirment for my MLB. I notice that 80+ str prevents the pankake. Also take a step back away from the line. This makes it harder for the OL to get to you. Make sure you scrape an fill with the correct sholder!

Also I notice that DT with high STR ratings occupy the OL better. These DL keep the OL off of the linebackers.

Good speed and strength, and strong DL allow me to average 10+ tackles per game as the MLB.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2010, 10:36 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
It's not your fault with the sprinting. It's just something the game does when you control backers and linemen. It's hard to fight through or get off blocks. I use a linebacker with a very high strength rating and it simply doesn't matter. You have to play dodge-ball out there while roaming to the ball. You literally can't let a blocker touch you or you're done for the play as you get either locked up or pancaked. The engine is broken.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:38 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Oh, one more quick question while I am here. I have had several times what appears to be a bad mistake in my defense for guys I'm not controlling. Often my safeties will be in position for run support on outside runs, but when the guy comes outside they will just backpedal instead of coming up to make the play. One play today the RB was on the 2, the safety was right at the goal line, and he just backpedaled into the end zone while the RB walked in, when they were right in front of each other.

I assume this is just inept programing by EA? I remember guys would do this on the original playstation versions of the game, but shouldn't a decade be sufficient time to program this out of the game?
bad programming plus low awareness ratings - if you find some safeties with higher awareness they'll play the run a little better for you
Old 03-29-2010, 11:39 AM   #8
Banned

silentrob's Arena

[quote=Starter;2040904774]I also play as the MLB. Make sure you LB has a good str rating. I use 80 as a mininum str requirment for my MLB. I notice that 80+ str prevents the pankake. Also take a step back away from the line. This makes it harder for the OL to get to you. Make sure you scrape an fill with the correct sholder!

I have had good luck in the past with taking a step or two back with the MLB, especially to get to the outside runs. I can verify that works well for me. I'll see if I notice any difference between strong MLBs and weaker ones (I play a couple different teams so I can try out different styles of play) as I play a few more games. Thanks for the suggestions!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »