Home

Is it possible to throw intermediate routes to WRs?

This is a discussion on Is it possible to throw intermediate routes to WRs? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-26-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4
Is it possible to throw intermediate routes to WRs?

Going all the way back to the start of the last decade when the PS2 came out, my gameplan against the CPU has always been to throw a lot of 7-10 yard passes to my WRs and TEs, with a high completion percentage and getting 1st downs as I move down the field. Combied with a strong running game, I eat the clock and safely move up and down the field. When the CPU stops me, I punt.

I dont like to throw deep, and traditionally only do when Im either forced too (very long yardage) or a guy is WIDE open.

In this year's game though, after playing abot 30 games on All-American, Im having HORRIBLE dificulty throwing anything except the deepest routes to my WRs. The CPU seems to play extreme press coverage on every down, and never play back in soft coverage, no matter the down and distance, and no matter how well Im running the ball. The recievers cannot get any seperation from the defensive players, and I have trouble even getting zero YAC catches. The recievers (some who are in the high 80s in ratings) just dont get until theyre about 15 yards downfield. Ever.

Im able to throw 15-20 yards downfield when I feel like it, but thats no realistic, and more to the point, isnt "my game". Is there something I can do better to get the passing game to play more like previous versions? I feel like Im back on the PS1 where my whole gameplan was to run outside and throw deep every play, because anything else was near impossible.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2010, 01:26 PM   #2
Madden PC

BadAssHskr's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Is it possible to throw intermediate routes to WRs?

seems to be a bit tougher for me to this year, but i don't seem to struggle with it quite like you describe.

i rarely throw deep, and only being 4 games in my dynasty i've been able to rely on the run quite a bit in my non-con schedule.

twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/cornbeaner

XSX: thirtydaZe
Online, Solo, CFM.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4

Back off the CPU (and human while you're at it) pass coverage slider. Mine is at about 35 I think. This is to compensate for the psychic DBs who run your receiver's route for him. With the slider tweak they respond a lot more realistically, usually reacting to the cut a second after it happens rather than half a second before.

I also recommend a quick pump fake whenever you can sneak one in. Typically at least one DB will bite, and that gets somebody open. If you can do it right before your receiver cuts it has the biggest impact.

Other than that, all I can tell you is that certain routes work better than others. Crossing routes work, especially if you give the receiver a few seconds to use his speed to gain separation or rub the defender off (ew gross). Slants, especially very shallow ones, work. Double moves work but take a while.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
MVP

dan_457's Arena

OVR: 26

It is a lot harder this year, mostly because of the man coverage issues, but I'm still able to succeed. My gameplan is to run a lot, and throw short to intermediate passes, and i never throw the ball deep. My completion % has dropped from about 70% from last year to around 60% this year, so i know where you're coming from. Just keep working at it, and opportunities will open up.

-Cleveland Browns-

-Cleveland Cavaliers-
Old 07-26-2010, 01:36 PM   #5
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Try mixing up your routes. I've found that Curl routes aren't nearly as effective as they were in 09 (borderline cheese in that game, it was open every time), but they do work and I've found the TE to be the recipient of those balls this year.

Slants are effective and crossing patters will usually yield 1-2 open receivers. Play-action passes also help. I know people complain about pressure from the CPU and it is there, but there are times where PA does work and you can hit the TE or WR on a dig, curl or slant.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2010, 01:38 PM   #6
Rookie

mjarz02's Arena

OVR: 6

I am able to throw slants on occasion. I also noticed that the slot receiver is the easiest one to complete intermediate routes to. If you throw certain routes over and over the computer will pick up on it and you will end up throwing an INT.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:39 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 25

with the slider set i have (plymakers) i have differant results EVERY game. Sometimes dinking and dunking works like a charm...Other times i cant complete anything....

Think the passing is top notch even though every QB can throw the ball like 75 yds....in the air.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:39 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

I've had good results with crossing routes. They do better in about the 5-7 yard range, but give enough YAC to get to that 15 yard number. For slightly deeper routes, some of the WR deep ins do okay. If you have a good TE, post, go, or deep in patterns with the TE can often get open past the LBs at this ~15 yard distance if playing against cover 2 (or not great safeties). Depends on the coverage. I've had really good success with those middle TE patterns.

Oops...just noticed you said *WR* routes specifically.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »