Home

Recruiting takes a step back

This is a discussion on Recruiting takes a step back within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2010, 09:51 PM   #1
Rookie

Razorbacker's Arena

OVR: 4
Recruiting takes a step back

I do not like the new recruiting system this year.

I am not complaining about it being too hard/easy. It is just very boring to me. Too scientific/mathematical. It is nothing like real-life recruiting.

Now don't jump me with the "It's a frickin' video game!" stuff. I know it is a video game, but it could do a better job of accurately d****ting real recruiting.

First, we don't need to know the numbers. How is that real? Does a kid tell a coach, "Umm, right now on my scale you are 300 points behind University of Eks, which is my leader."

Also the random topic thing is ridiculous. That is maybe more unrealistic than the number/point system. Coaches know EXACTLY what they will be talking with a recruit about and the subjects they will be bringing up. Now I can see if maybe the kid asks the coach a random question about a topic. That does happen, but it isn't every call, every week, etc so on so forth.

All that said I add that recruiting in the past has been what keeps me playing this game dynasty season after season. I don't see it keeping me interested past a couple more seasons.

Also, my first recruiting season went fairly well. It was challenging, but I still signed some decent players. I had the No. 12 class in the country when all was said and done.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2010, 09:57 PM   #2
Rookie

fahrenheit's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Recruiting takes a step back

The random topic is meant to make it more challenging, not realistic. Yeah sure they could do a better job, but frankly its a lot better than pitching the same 5 topics to every recruit. And the point system has always, always been in the game, only now you know how far behind you are; which is realistic. Coaches usually know if they are close or not to being one of the recruits top choices, and this reflects that.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:07 PM   #3
Pro

Reggie16's Arena

OVR: 10

im with you its not horrible but it gets boring quickly

Patiently Wating.....Madden 12, Ncaa 12
Old 07-27-2010, 10:14 PM   #4
Rookie

Razorbacker's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahrenheit
The random topic is meant to make it more challenging, not realistic. Yeah sure they could do a better job, but frankly its a lot better than pitching the same 5 topics to every recruit. And the point system has always, always been in the game, only now you know how far behind you are; which is realistic. Coaches usually know if they are close or not to being one of the recruits top choices, and this reflects that.
Well, IMO they failed big time on the random topic. I understand how it is designed to make it more challenging. That's the best EAS could do? Gotta be better ways to make it more challenging. And really it doesn't matter what the INTENT was. It fails BIG time in terms of realism.

I know the point system has been in the game... I know there have to be numbers assigned to EVERYTHING... it is how programming works. However, I don't have to know about it, lol.

I agree that coaches know how far behind they are on a particular recruit, but it has NOTHING to do with a points system. "Yeah son, tell me, just how many points are we behind University of Ecks?" lol
My NCAA Football online forum lineage goes back to DaBirk and the ORIGINAL NCAA Strategies. I've been playing football video games since the Atari 400 -- in other words, probably before YOU WERE BORN! I am old-school.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:25 PM   #5
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Recruiting this year on Heisman is the most fun I've ever had recruiting in a NCAA game ever. Unlike the OP, I will play more dynasty years then I ever have before because of it.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2010, 10:38 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 9

I think recruiting is great this year. It actually requires thought and strategy now. It might not be super realistic, but it is way more realistic than last year. In the past, you really only needed to have two topics where you had an A/A+ and the recruit had high/very high interest. Then you could just go back and forth between these two, getting tons of points. This year, to get a lot of points from a phonecall, you need to have lots of topic matches... two isn't nearly enough. And this reflects reality more closely. Recruits look for the school that is the best fit for them overall. They aren't going to listen to a coach that calls them every week and insists on talking about the same thing.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:22 PM   #7
Rookie

CrossTown's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull n Pray
I think recruiting is great this year. It actually requires thought and strategy now. It might not be super realistic, but it is way more realistic than last year. In the past, you really only needed to have two topics where you had an A/A+ and the recruit had high/very high interest. Then you could just go back and forth between these two, getting tons of points. This year, to get a lot of points from a phonecall, you need to have lots of topic matches... two isn't nearly enough. And this reflects reality more closely. Recruits look for the school that is the best fit for them overall. They aren't going to listen to a coach that calls them every week and insists on talking about the same thing.
Agreed agreed agreed. The random topics is there to make it harder. Getting recruits before was too easy cause you could just pick the same thing over and over and over and over again. THAT is boring. Now I need to decide what to do with each pitch as it comes along.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:28 PM   #8
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

I love recruiting this year.

It is easily one of the best parts of the game, IMO.

I always find it laughable when people actually compare recruiting in a video game to real life. Why? Because guess what? It's never ever going to be like real life because it's a video game. That why.

In real life coaches don't know how far they are behind or sometimes who the kid's even leaning towards. Certainly not in Week 1 of the college football season and I could give countless other examples. But, the fact remains the same. It's a freaking game and nothing's ever going to change that. Sorry.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »