Home

Getting into a better conference?

This is a discussion on Getting into a better conference? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2010, 01:20 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 12
Getting into a better conference?

Is it even possible to get invited into a better conference in NCAA 11? I'm playing as Rice in my offline dynasty, and I'm entering the 2018 season. I've won the C-USA title 7 times in 8 seasons, gone 5-2 in Bowl games, and finished 5 seasons ranked in the Top 25. I've improved Rice from a 2* program up to a 6* program, just had the best recruiting class in the nation, and have just been dominating for the past 5 years, but I'm still stuck in C-USA.

I've tried scheduling opponents from a specific conference (spent 5 seasons playing only Big XII teams in my OoC games, went 11-1 in those games), and I've tried scheduling the top ranked teams (I've played teams all rated in the top 5 in preseason polls), but nothing. Over the 8 years, I've gone 76-20 and been offered jobs at the top schools (Texas, OU, Alabama, Ohio State). It's really frustrating to have an elite team stuck in a poor conference like C-USA and be shunned from getting into the BCS National Championship.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2010, 01:32 AM   #2
Rookie

AubOrange's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Getting into a better conference?

So you haven't won the national title yet?

Maybe that's the last hurdle, and you have to have one before getting an invite. Although I couldn't tell you how you could get into the title game, if, as you say, you keep getting snubbed because of your conference.

That's tricky. That's weird that it would let you become a six star without winning the national championship, but won't let you get a conference invite without one.

Maybe towards the end of the season if you're #3 or something like that, you could take control of the teams playing against #1 and #2 and knock them off? That's about all I can think of.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:56 AM   #3
MVP

boritter's Arena

OVR: 31

I don't have any advice regarding conference invites. (I'm still waiting on 1 in my dynasty).

But if you want to get into the title game you should schedule games against the top 2-3 ranked teams in the preseason polls. Also be sure to schedule games against any non-BCS teams who are ranked above you.

For example, Boise St and Utah are usually ranked ahead of my TeamBuilder MWC school so I schedule games with them. That way if I beat them I'm the top non-BCS team in the country.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:00 AM   #4
MVP

thedudedominick's Arena

OVR: 23

After year 1 with FAU going 10-3, 7-1 in conference but finishing behind troy in conference. I get invited to replace Duke in the ACC. I'm declining as I just don't have the talent or prestige compete or recruit against these teams.
MLB: Chicago Cubs
Old 08-18-2010, 08:03 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

i play as houston and i am in the same boat. i have scheduled the top teams in the nation which has been consistently sec teams. i destroyed those teams for 6 years playing most of my games away. i have 6 national titles, i have been in the top 5 in recruiting maybe 2. i rank as the 11 toughest places to play and still no invite. for some reason i'm starting to think that it is certain teams that are programmed only to get invites. after this season if i don't get an invite i will except another job offer in a better conference.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2010, 08:16 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

i went 8-5, 7-6 and 11-2 in 3 seasons with San Jose St. (all American with sliders, all American recruiting) and got an invite to the Pac-10 to replace Washington State.

I don't know what triggered it. The highest i finished was 22nd (obviously year 3).

I was helped tremendously by getting a transfer RB from Cal after season 1 (Isi Sofele). He went for 1500 yards in one year at SJSU and them jumped to the NFL. (despite me spending 2 hours of recruiting time trying to get him back).

Year 4 has started out well. I won against Fresno State and Miami of Ohio to start the year. Won at UCLA and home against Arizona. But last night i dropped 2 heartbreakers at Oregon State (had a hail mary at the end to win it and failed) and home against Cal (tackled at the 1 yard line Kevin Dyson style for the winning TD and then stuffed on the goal line on a sweep as time expired).

Still, 4-2 (2-2 vs the PAc 10) isn't bad considering i lost my stud RB and am starting a 3* frosh QB. The problem is i get #3 oregon this week and still have matchups with 3 other ranked Pac-10 teams upcoming. The conference is very good and I'm undermanned on the offensive side of the ball.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:43 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudedominick
After year 1 with FAU going 10-3, 7-1 in conference but finishing behind troy in conference. I get invited to replace Duke in the ACC. I'm declining as I just don't have the talent or prestige compete or recruit against these teams.
IMO, I think you take an invite to a major conference ANY time it happens and worry about competing later (It may not come again!). The conference prestige boost alone should help you with recruiting, and a soft OOC schedule can save you early on as you get your self established. Show some balls and make the jump!

I won back-to-back NC with Wyoming and never got an invite in my 10 years there.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:01 AM   #8
Banned

johntom2000's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdaj
IMO, I think you take an invite to a major conference ANY time it happens and worry about competing later (It may not come again!). The conference prestige boost alone should help you with recruiting, and a soft OOC schedule can save you early on as you get your self established. Show some balls and make the jump!

I won back-to-back NC with Wyoming and never got an invite in my 10 years there.
Ya what he said, SHOW SOME BALLS AND JUMP BOY!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »