Home

WR/DB Interactions - Devs Please Read!

This is a discussion on WR/DB Interactions - Devs Please Read! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-25-2011, 12:30 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 5
Icon3 WR/DB Interactions - Devs Please Read!

I was going to post this as a reply to someone else's post, but wanted to see if I could get it more attention. I think one of the main flaws with this game is pass defense or lack there of. Even at release the route mirroring was unrealistic, although it actually made for decent pass defense. The main problem, as you can read below, is that I think EA makes determinations on how successful a defender is in pass coverage is mostly based off of speed and acceleration ratings. I believe this is the major flaw in EA's pass defense logic. I know they put in the different ratings; i.e. press coverage, man coverage, and zone coverage, but I still believe that those do not play near the role as the two mentioned above. Please give your thoughts, and maybe EA (if a dev happens to read this) will understand what we are looking for in pass coverage.

1. Alignment - DB's/LB's alignments are based off of coverage called, field position, and down and distance IRL mainly, although in game it appears as if the DB's line up head up all of the time. If your a LB/S/NB walking out to cover a receiver you are 9 out of 10x going to shade to the inside of said receiver, this should be automatic. As should the CB shading the inside shoulder of the receiver, unless said receiver has taken a real tight split to the LOS.

2. Defender Position Post Snap - The CB at the snap of the ball; if you are not in man defense and pressing the receiver, would always take away inside position and most of the time read 3 step to 1 (read QB three step quick drop, drive through receiver for INT or pass breakup). LB's, at the snap of the ball do not back back straight up into their respective zone. At the snap the LB's will take their run read and turn their hips towards the outside if they are going to a hook/curl zone and should turn and run to the flat if they are in a flat zone. In cover 2 situations the CB will come down and force the outside receiver inside and the LB would force anything vertical to the outside, creating a funnel to the safety over top, the success of the cover 2 greatly depends on these two things happening.

3. DB's Ratings and Abilities - Another inaccuracy that causes problems in pass defense is that DB's break/flip their hips/change direction too slow, therefore causing the separation in the digs, slants, verticles, and flags. Instead of looking at the DB's speed and acceleration rating, the main rating in determining how good a defender is in pass coverage should be agility, or even add a "hips" rating, which would determine how well, or quick a defender can change his direction in pass coverages. Speed and Acceleration ratings should determine how well a defender can make up, if they make a mistake; most of us have heard the term "so and so defensive backs have great make up speed", allowing them to be more aggressive. As far as the zone defense, man defense, and press coverage ratings; to me those should count more towards how disciplined the DB is in said coverage, as well as, how likely said DB is to fall for double moves and/or pump fakes.

Again, this is just my opinion, but if EA would stop and re-think their approach to pass coverage, I think that they could greatly improve gameplay. What are all of your thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2011, 08:05 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: WR/DB Interactions - Devs Please Read!

I like it alot. Most of the time, I think you should be able to make any throw that SHOULD be available. If the CB is playing the receiver on the outside and they make and in cut, or vice versa, the receiver should be open and, if my QB is safe, its a complete pass. I don't want magic speed bursts and robotic knowing of routes.

This definitely needs to be fixed in some way. They fixed blocking fairly well this year, they could definitely do something about pass coverage the next.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
MVP

Son of Sam99's Arena

OVR: 14

Couldn't agree more with both posts. It is so frustrating to see a CB on the outside of a WR in a slant then try to hit the reciever after his cut only to see the CB made the cut BEFORE the reciever did and break up the play or make an INT.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:12 PM   #4
Rookie

Bengals28's Arena

OVR: 4

This is all good stuff. The first thing they need to change is the damn DBs mirroring the reciever and running the route before they do. I hate seeing it and everytime I do I cringe.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:20 PM   #5
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

Just my thoughts on the mirroring of routs by DB's has to do with the play recognition ratings. I have not played Madden 11 but still play Madden 10. In Madden play rec is a slider not a rating for each player. Since in NCAA it is a rating it is driving what makes the defensive players react so fast. Look at the ratings and you will see a lot of 80's and 90's here. There was someone who did a roster file where this rating was lowered. It was done to get cpu QB's to run more. I tested this file in about 5 play now games and I did see a difference. DB's began to allow for balls to go right by them, when they had their backs to the ball. I also saw DB's getting beat on in routs only to have to catch up to make a play. I didn't see the speed burst but rather the receiver catch the ball, turn up field, and then the DB had to make a play.

I have not tested this beyond a few games well over a month ago. I have played around with Madden 10 and the slider that effects this area of the game. As I increased the slider the better the D reacted like it should. One slider was able to control and change the game. It is much easier to adjust then having it as a rating. It can please all sides as a slider by allowing the ones who want a more open game play can while the ones wanting a tighter playing game can as well. Just my thoughts on the topic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2011, 02:42 AM   #6
Banned

devinewon's Arena

OVR: 9

The coverage was way better in NCAA 2010. No one wants to come out and admit it but it was. Everyone could not read coverage so easily. You could play defense and didn't feel cheap doing it. . Except if you did that play the run stuff in Quarters.

I remember madden 2005 when you could play the outside or the inside of a receiver with a coverage audible. You could also jam single receivers.

If you ever played corner you play it different if you have safety help than when you're in zero coverage. Thats why an aggressiveness rating should be given to every player.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »