Home

EA has no reason to create a realistic long dynasty mode

This is a discussion on EA has no reason to create a realistic long dynasty mode within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
MVP

poopoop's Arena

OVR: 4
EA has no reason to create a realistic long dynasty mode

Dynasty mode isn't bad as is, but there's a lot of areas where it could improve. But I don't think it's ever going to get there because dynasties don't last long enough.

Quote:
When i was in Florida at EA Tiburon they told me that the average length of any online dynasty for 2010 was less than a month.
http://www.osatwork.com/RynoAid/blog...-sim-dynastys/)

So the average OD lasts less than a month. I've been in several that have died less than a month after starting. If you assume a two day advance schedule it takes about a month to get through a year. So the majority of online dynasties don't even make it out of the first year. I'm guessing offline dynasties fair a little better, but not by much.

Basically dynasty just becomes season mode because people quit them so quickly. What happens in year 4 or year 5 doesn't really matter because almost no one makes it that far anyway. I think EA realizes this and it influences the way they approach this mode.

Things like:

-Recruits not matching up the original rosters. Recruits having weird rankings like speed/acceleration that don't match up. Who cares, people rarely get to the point where the game is all CPU-generated recruits. Same thing goes for CPU teams recruiting like 7 QBs and weaker teams becoming worse than FCS schools.

-Being able to turn bad teams around almost instantly. Why make a mode where it takes 10 years to turn Eastern Michigan into a good program. It makes much more sense to make a mode where you can have success with them right off the bat.

Every year it's apparent to me that the dynasty deteriorates the deeper you get into it because EA has no reason to care about anything past the first few years. It's not an attack on EA or NCAA devs either because I see the same thing in other games too. I even see it in NBA 2k and Choops 2k8.

Last edited by poopoop; 03-21-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2011, 07:37 PM   #2
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: EA has no reason to create a realistic long dynasty mode

-Counterpoint: The Best year (arguably) for Madden is 2005. This year is the year that Madden totally revamped their Franchise mode and added depth.

If you build a badA** Dynasty mode, People will play it.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:38 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

i just don't think they test dynasty very well if at all past maybe 2-3 years, if they did things like recruits, wacky depth charts and the 5 or 6 undefeated teams each year would be obviously noticed.

i think the reason the average online dynasty doesn't last past year one is that it takes so long to wait for other users to advance the week, by the time the first season is over the interest isn't there or most people have moved on to different games

either way, if this is the reason EA uses to not test dynasty mode 5-10 years deep is laughable, and just an excuse

there is no reason why penn state should win the big ten championship 8 years in a row.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:52 PM   #4
MVP

poopoop's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusefan
-Counterpoint: The Best year (arguably) for Madden is 2005. This year is the year that Madden totally revamped their Franchise mode and added depth.

If you build a badA** Dynasty mode, People will play it.
I think a better counterpoint would be a game like Football Manager that is def built for the long haul and sells a ton of copies. Only issue is it's not a fair comparison because that's a completely different kind of game.

I think when EA is deciding what to spend time on they don't see the rewards of dumping resources into making a dynasty mode that's still realistic in 2020.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #5
MVP

poopoop's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitner20
i just don't think they test dynasty very well if at all past maybe 2-3 years, if they did things like recruits, wacky depth charts and the 5 or 6 undefeated teams each year would be obviously noticed.
I agree but why bother? What % of people actually make it past the third year in online or offline dynasties?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitner20
either way, if this is the reason EA uses to not test dynasty mode 5-10 years deep is laughable, and just an excuse

there is no reason why penn state should win the big ten championship 8 years in a row.
I agree it's a poor excuse, but I suspect this is a significant part of the reason dynasty mode makes no sense after a few years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2011, 08:03 PM   #6
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Your premise is misleading and potentially flawed because the quote you reference refers to the NCAA 2010 game. 2010's online dynasty didn't have any of the social media integration that 2011 did (Dynasty Wire, Facebook sharing, etc). I'd be interested to see how Online Dynasty fared for 2011 with the more robust feature set.

On top of that, I'd argue that EA knows that in order to continue selling their games, and particularly annual titles such as any of their EA Sports games, they have to improve them across the board. That's the industry expectation nowadays; they can't just ignore dynasty mode and expect their consumer base to simply accept it.

I'd also argue that the men and women who comprise EA Tiburon have an internal motivation to make the best game they can in whatever capacity they work on the project. The people who get paid by Tiburon to work on Dynasty mode each year aren't going to be satisfied in their jobs by doing nothing; I'm sure that wouldn't reflect well on their performance reviews either, heh.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:19 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

sometimes i like to build up a small school and sim and recruit for 3-4 years and then start playing, and im pretty sure im not the only one, so all these issues are front and center when i start playing there are teams that cant field a starting o-line because the recruiting logic is so flawed it's sort of frustrating
Old 03-21-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
MVP

poopoop's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHooe
Your premise is misleading and potentially flawed because the quote you reference refers to the NCAA 2010 game. 2010's online dynasty didn't have any of the social media integration that 2011 did (Dynasty Wire, Facebook sharing, etc). I'd be interested to see how Online Dynasty fared for 2011 with the more robust feature set.
I agree it'd be interesting to see the data but...

It's pretty obvious though that the same thing is going to be true for 2011. If you don't believe me go to the Online Dynasty site and browse for openings. The vast majority of the ones you'll find are failed dynasties stuck in year one. And thats before you account for all of the failed dynasties that have been retired. I'm sure there's a lot of successful dynasties that are full of members and several years in (I'm in one myself) but these are the exception. Same is going to be true for offline dynasties just to a lesser extent.

^ Looks like a graveyard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHooe
On top of that, I'd argue that EA knows that in order to continue selling their games, and particularly annual titles such as any of their EA Sports games, they have to improve them across the board. That's the industry expectation nowadays; they can't just ignore dynasty mode and expect their consumer base to simply accept it.

I'd also argue that the men and women who comprise EA Tiburon have an internal motivation to make the best game they can in whatever capacity they work on the project. The people who get paid by Tiburon to work on Dynasty mode each year aren't going to be satisfied in their jobs by doing nothing; I'm sure that wouldn't reflect well on their performance reviews either, heh.
They can't ignore dynasty completely but they do get to choose how much effort they put into it. I think they do the minimum when it comes to testing/structuring their dynasty mode for the long term. It's amazing how many errors were found by people on sites like these just by simming a few years into the future. It doesn't take much effort to sim through a few years and look at what happens, so why isn't EA doing a better job of it?

It's low on the priority list. Making sure the dynasty still functions well after 6 years is probably down there with improving mascot mode. I don't really think it has to do with making the best game possible either, just choosing what to focus on.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »