Home

I thought they got rid of the Super LB...?

This is a discussion on I thought they got rid of the Super LB...? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
Cheeseproof.com

quehouston's Arena

OVR: 14
I thought they got rid of the Super LB...?

Ive noticed more and more super human plays made by the CPU linebackers here lately. Lightning quick reaction times to deflect passes, Lebron James hops to make interceptions, etc. Is there a patch or anything coming to fix this?
@_quehouston and @cheeseproof
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: I thought they got rid of the Super LB...?

I said the same thing the other day. It didn't seem as bad, but sometimes I've kinda been like... WAIT... SERIOUSLY? Lets hope they do...

HC Record 24-3 - Sugar Bowl Win/1BCS Title
Florida, #6 USF (Current) 14-0

Most Recent Game: USF 70 vs Toledo 28 BCS NC Game

Old 08-09-2011, 05:16 PM   #3
Rookie

WipeOut464's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpboy
Ive noticed more and more super human plays made by the CPU linebackers here lately. Lightning quick reaction times to deflect passes, Lebron James hops to make interceptions, etc. Is there a patch or anything coming to fix this?
Yeah the problem doesn't seem to be LBs and linemen skying to bat down lobs 12' in the air anymore. But the turbo-reflex stuff is killing me. I was playing yesterday and had a LB that was in a full sprint to the right instantly jerk 180 degrees to the left and fly like 6' to intercept the pass. Momentum, eh?

It seems like warping was taken out for receivers but left in for the defense.

NCAA: Georgia
NFL: San Francisco
MLB: ZZZzzzzzz...

Old 08-09-2011, 05:38 PM   #4
Cheeseproof.com

quehouston's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WipeOut464
Yeah the problem doesn't seem to be LBs and linemen skying to bat down lobs 12' in the air anymore. But the turbo-reflex stuff is killing me. I was playing yesterday and had a LB that was in a full sprint to the right instantly jerk 180 degrees to the left and fly like 6' to intercept the pass. Momentum, eh?

I agree. Its pretty wild, and accountable of a lot of missed opportunities for me.
@_quehouston and @cheeseproof
Old 08-09-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
Pro

SGMRock's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WipeOut464

They Defense will fly all over to intercept or bat down balls like you said but the receivers will just keep running their route and hold their arms out in a basket thinking the ball will land there without any problem, they seem oblivious to the CB jumping up in front of him and don't even react until he has intercepted it.

If as a real WR you saw someone about to intercept a ball and didn't try and fight for it or at least switch to playing like a DB to keep him from the INT then your coach would sit you on the bench!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2011, 06:45 PM   #6
Pro

MagicMan1315's Arena

OVR: 13

Important: L2/LT Button

That should help with the "Super LBs"
Old 08-10-2011, 12:22 AM   #7
Stay thirsty my friends

goalieump413's Arena

OVR: 12

Last year, it seemed that the LB's were superhuman in a physical sense, and would don Superman capes to swat down otherwise unreachable passes. This year, LB's seem more like Neo from The Matrix, applying incredible reaction timing and just enough physical acumen to get to every pass you throw. They don't leap high in the air, but they do cover a lot of lateral real estate per leap.

Just about any LB in a zone drop plays as if they have an early warning system for the ball, and actually ignore the receivers in their area (unlike what we were told pre-release). It's like any player on defense in a zone is actually pulling double-duty (zone and QB spy), since they can have their backs turned to the passer just after the pass is released, leap in the air, and without ever seeing the ball, cleanly swat it from the air like Kong swattin' a bi-plane.

Simply put, the defense AI you play against doesn't display any play recognition reaction time. They instantly know, and respond, to the play, which contradicts what most football fans observe on Saturday. When changing direction, we all need to stop our current momentum and apply power in another direction, taking time.

Despite that colorful opinion, I do think something got missed during some critical areas of gameplay design and testing. I don't necessarily blame anyone, it's just that the way the game plays, you have to capitalize on obvious defense slip ups (which do occur, I've won a game on the final play of the game because the AI defense didn't cover a deep seam route, letting the slot receiver just wave goodbye).

Last edited by goalieump413; 08-10-2011 at 12:27 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:49 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 6

Yeah. I hate trying to pass the ball over the middle because they always jump up and swat it down.
I mean occasional swatting down would be ok but they always make the play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »