Home

"Fighting for the Ball" should be a major focus in NCAA 13

This is a discussion on "Fighting for the Ball" should be a major focus in NCAA 13 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
BOOM!

AuburnAlumni's Arena

OVR: 43
"Fighting for the Ball" should be a major focus in NCAA 13

NCAA 12 is light years ahead of NCAA 11 in terms of Computer Offensive AI, running AI, and option AI.

What is still lacking is the absence of any real "fighting for the ball in the air" when a pass is attempted.

I've seen several instances both ways....

-A WR runs a simple curl route, the ball is thrown, and the receiver just stands there, letting the DB covering him run around him and bat or pick the ball. He should be using his body to shield the DB from the pass and make the catch.

-The CPU QB throws a deep pass in the endzone. My 84 rated DB stands there....not even facing the play...and doesn't move. No jumping. No hands in the air. He's in a catatonic state basically with his back to both the WR and the QB. The CPU WR then just jumps up and catches it. This makes you want to throw your controller through a window.

Wide Receivers and Defensive backs need to be a major focus of NCAA 13 in creating some real "Fight for the Ball in the Air" type moments and to cut down on some of these major football "no nos".
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
Pro

MagicMan1315's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: "Fighting for the Ball" should be a major focus in NCAA 13

Personally, before they do this, I would like to see them improve the actions of the O-Line and D-Line. Both improve the O-line intellegence when run blocking and the D-line moves when pass rushing.

I am talking about when the oline is run blocking, you hit the gap with a line man leading you and then he stops, turns 75 degrees and trys the block the CB or LB that is running along the outside and is out of the play and leaves you unprotected.

And with D-line, have line men have more personallity and moves..

Great teams are built from the inside out. You start with the men in the trenches and then work on other positions. Why shouldnt NCAA/Madden be the same?
Old 07-21-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
MVP

drlw322's Arena

OVR: 24

agree with both of you guys completely

Old 07-21-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

I've said it before but I'll say it again, NCAA and Madden need to go steal the jostling system from FIFA. It would be incredible to see WR/DBs interacting and positioning themselves like this, all while still having full control over your player. If you've never played FIFA, go download the demo and just watch how players jockey for position both on the move and when stationary. I'm really hopeful that they do this next year.

Also, the OL/DL interactions need MAJOR work.

Last edited by Pokes404; 07-21-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
I've said it before but I'll say it again, NCAA and Madden need to go steal the jostling system from FIFA. It would be incredible to see WR/DBs interacting and positioning themselves like this, all while still having full control over your player. If you've never played FIFA, go download the demo and just watch how players jockey for position both on the move and when stationary. I'm really hopeful that they do this next year.

Also, the OL/DL interactions need MAJOR work.

Kind of funny, in one of the old EA Inside blogs, one of the developers said they were adding that for Madden 10.

http://insideblog.easports.com/archi...teraction.aspx

Quote:
Second, we took a page from the FIFA team and added in the concept of 'jostling'. Personally I am extremely stoked to have this in the game because I've written a design for it for 5+ years in a row...unfortunately we just never had the technology to accomplish it. The 'jostling' concept is a set of looping 2-man animations that can play for the WR and DB as they run downfield. The main reason that I am so big on these animations is that it really helps alleviate a balance problem that has existed in Madden for years. I'm talking about the fact that traditionally you can send a player with a 99 speed rating (regardless of his other ratings like route running, catching, etc) on a streak and easily get behind a defender in man coverage. In real life, regardless of the difference in speed, a good defensive back can use his body to keep the receiver in check... a fly route is rarely an untouched foot-race sprint to the endzone. So here's a video example of just one of the many jostling animations you can expect to see in Madden NFL 10:
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2011, 03:47 PM   #6
Pro

Cj7298419's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
NCAA 12 is light years ahead of NCAA 11 in terms of Computer Offensive AI, running AI, and option AI.

What is still lacking is the absence of any real "fighting for the ball in the air" when a pass is attempted.

I've seen several instances both ways....

-A WR runs a simple curl route, the ball is thrown, and the receiver just stands there, letting the DB covering him run around him and bat or pick the ball. He should be using his body to shield the DB from the pass and make the catch.

-The CPU QB throws a deep pass in the endzone. My 84 rated DB stands there....not even facing the play...and doesn't move. No jumping. No hands in the air. He's in a catatonic state basically with his back to both the WR and the QB. The CPU WR then just jumps up and catches it. This makes you want to throw your controller through a window.

Wide Receivers and Defensive backs need to be a major focus of NCAA 13 in creating some real "Fight for the Ball in the Air" type moments and to cut down on some of these major football "no nos".
You stole my thunder AA, lol! I was about to start a thread with this. This along with the O-Line, D-Line interaction is the main thing pulling this game down IMO.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:52 PM   #7
Rookie

Strmtrp's Arena

OVR: 4

I agree completely and think that this might actually be a bigger issue than line interaction. I can handle something stupid happening every once in a while on the line that results in 5-10 yards more or less one way or the other. The fact that db/wr interaction issues result in at least one touchdown every game that I as a user feel like I can really do very little about, though, is a major problem.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:28 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

I personally don't think the Option has been improved but maybe i'm missing something

RB AI was the easiest thing to fix in NCAA 12 so EA gets no hype for that from me.

I agree with the other posters who said fix the OL vs DL interaction 1st because right now it's sub par

Game is good but i think it's really overated in a lot of areas and every time i read the main boards there's always someone finding something out about the game that just makes me upset (Terrible DB play on the deep ball and now some weird problem with naming the players and having them play different)

EA needs to focus on one thing at a time because they obvioulsy can't multi task.....so i vote for OL vs DL interaction 1st

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »