Home

Is this cheese? bad form?

This is a discussion on Is this cheese? bad form? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Bad form/Cheese?
Yes 1 1.79%
No 53 94.64%
Gray area 2 3.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2011, 01:25 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Is this cheese? bad form?

So I'm playing a game with my friend offline. It's upwards of 42-40 for him, something like that. 1:30 left in the 4th. I throw a pass and complete to his 30, and have a clear path to the goal line. I fall with my player at the 20 , as he has no time outs. I run the clock and kick a game winner.

He says its bad form and stupid, as in real life they'd go into the endzone. I asserted that since our defenses were non existent in this game, why would I give him the ball back with a chance to win with 1:20~ left in the game? Instead of just run the clock and kick an easy short FG to win?

Thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2011, 01:35 AM   #2
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39
Re: Is this cheese? bad form?

Show your friend these:

I rest your case.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 08-13-2011, 01:48 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

I voted no but I will say that if it's not a game in a dynasty or something I'd probably just go ahead and score. The game would be more exciting that way.

Obviously if the game "matters" your play is the right play to make.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:14 AM   #4
MVP

cparrish's Arena

OVR: 20

I voted no. That is just smart football. Why in the world would you let him have the ball back if you haven't stopped him all game?

With my friends and I, if we are in a random online game against each other, we will just score because the game doesn't mean anything, but if it is our OD, we will kneel the ball at the end of the game to secure the win.

Xbox 360: BuffEye Rosters
PS3: BuffEyeRosters

Last edited by cparrish; 08-13-2011 at 05:26 AM.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:38 AM   #5
Pro

Bullet Sponge's Arena

OVR: 7

I also say no. There's some inherent risk there, especially if you have to run another play or to line up the field goal or whatever. You could get called for a penalty, fumble, etc.

I find it becomes a fine art trying to milk the clock perfectly at the end of the half/game against the CPU who always seems to be able to drive 80 yards in 35 seconds.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2011, 03:45 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

dochalladay32's Arena

OVR: 21

I'm glad to see all no's. Your friend is just mad that you didn't give him a chance to score. He'd probably complain if his favorite team in real life scored, and then watched the opponent return the kickoff for touchdown and possibly the win.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:04 AM   #7
MVP

Hiro1's Arena

OVR: 7

Smart football yes. Bad taste Yea. Its kinda like how Some MMA fighters who are wrestlers. just take their opponent to the ground and lay on them all fight.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:02 AM   #8
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Absolutely not, I've done shadier things than that to run out the clock at the end of a tight game, but they are all things I have seen done in actual games.

Last year, I had a huge user vs user game in an OD to determine a spot in a conference title game. I had been up 3 with about 40 seconds left, deep in my own territory after picking off a pass at the goal line and running it to like the 10. He still had all 2 timeouts, so I took 2 knees to burn them and took a third knee on 3rd down before calling a timeout myself when the clock burned to 1 on the play clock and 7 on the game clock.

Having been prepared for this very situation since the beginning of the year, I called Fake Punt Pass on 4th down with a RB formation subbed in at punter. Snapped it, let the time run out and stepped out the back of the endzone for a safety to end the game and win by 1.

No way in hell was I risking a punt, no matter how hard it is to return them and I didn't want to risk shanking one trying to aim it out of bounds and have him be in FG or hail mary range.

As for your situation, I've done the same thing many times. Smart football.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »