Home

What is this game missing most? Drama

This is a discussion on What is this game missing most? Drama within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
What is this game missing most? Drama

Over the past few years, NCAA has turned into a pretty great football game. NCAA 12 is better than Madden yet again (IMO) just as it was last year. However, I think the biggest thing that this game is sorely lacking is just the excitement and craziness that is college football. You can put in all the mascots you want, but until you make these stadiums erupt and come to life or completely die during a blowout, together with a presentation where the announcers recognize the drama going on in a game, it just feels bland.

I think that this excitement can actually be broken down into many parts:

1. Announcers - The most obvious here, but the announcers have to be in touch with what is going on in the game. Is this a touchdown that doesn't matter because it's a blowout, or did I just win the championship by reaching the endzone? There is almost no distinction right now. Even if the announcers don't have to get Gus Johnson-like excited, they should at least build up the drama.

2. Crowd - The crowd right now just doesn't sound into it at all. There are multiple times this year where you will score a touchdown and the crowd will go dead silent. The crowd should erupt on huge plays. Field rushes would be a cool touch as well.

3. Players - Enough canned cutscenes. The players should have emotions in the game. If a player scores the game winning touchdown he should be going crazy in the endzone (obviously not unsportsmanlike though). If a quarterback has thrown his 3rd pick, he should be shown walking to the sideline with his head down. The players don't feel like real players. They don't react like they have any real stake in the game.

4. Sidelines - Maybe this won't be fixed until next gen, but the sidelines need a complete overhaul. They look awful and have all generation.
Go Mavericks!
Go Rangers!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
Rookie

bccards13's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: What is this game missing most? Drama

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanew21
Over the past few years, NCAA has turned into a pretty great football game. NCAA 12 is better than Madden yet again (IMO) just as it was last year. However, I think the biggest thing that this game is sorely lacking is just the excitement and craziness that is college football. You can put in all the mascots you want, but until you make these stadiums erupt and come to life or completely die during a blowout, together with a presentation where the announcers recognize the drama going on in a game, it just feels bland.

I think that this excitement can actually be broken down into many parts:

1. Announcers - The most obvious here, but the announcers have to be in touch with what is going on in the game. Is this a touchdown that doesn't matter because it's a blowout, or did I just win the championship by reaching the endzone? There is almost no distinction right now. Even if the announcers don't have to get Gus Johnson-like excited, they should at least build up the drama.

2. Crowd - The crowd right now just doesn't sound into it at all. There are multiple times this year where you will score a touchdown and the crowd will go dead silent. The crowd should erupt on huge plays. Field rushes would be a cool touch as well.

3. Players - Enough canned cutscenes. The players should have emotions in the game. If a player scores the game winning touchdown he should be going crazy in the endzone (obviously not unsportsmanlike though). If a quarterback has thrown his 3rd pick, he should be shown walking to the sideline with his head down. The players don't feel like real players. They don't react like they have any real stake in the game.

4. Sidelines - Maybe this won't be fixed until next gen, but the sidelines need a complete overhaul. They look awful and have all generation.
I truely miss all the excitement of the game of football. I was recently at a game for the Lamar Cardinals (Div I FCS) and they blew out Texas College 58-0 to a roaring crowd of only about 15,000 at best. The people at this small school game were louder than the 90,000+ fans I hear at Ohio State on this game. I don't know what happened to the atmosphere in this game but I miss it.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:23 PM   #3

Suntan Superman's Arena

OVR: 11

Announcing is the biggest thing, even in the games biggest moments, Nessler and Herbstreit talk like corpses. It's the worst when Herby is going on his five minute lecture on concussions, and you just won the game in the final seconds of the fourth quarter, and there is no reaction from anyone.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #4
MVP

nova91's Arena

OVR: 14

This game is missing a lot of what makes college sports appealing across the country.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:36 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan Superman
Announcing is the biggest thing, even in the games biggest moments, Nessler and Herbstreit talk like corpses. It's the worst when Herby is going on his five minute lecture on concussions, and you just won the game in the final seconds of the fourth quarter, and there is no reaction from anyone.
I hate that speech with a passion. It as whatever the first time, then I starting hating it with a passion every time I heard it, and it wouldn't stop, regardless of the action on the field.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2011, 08:50 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

I think the thing that is missing most from this game is THE PATCH!!! Where is it EA??????????
NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
Old 09-04-2011, 11:30 PM   #7
Stay thirsty my friends

goalieump413's Arena

OVR: 12

Yeah, it's a real letdown when you view the game's opening presentation and compare it to the way the game really plays. But when I read the title to this thread, I thought you were talking about exciting plays and big comebacks in games, which I have experienced on both sides.

But I generally agree. There are plenty of areas that desperately need an overhaul in dramatic presentation just to keep gamers interested. It's not just in-game play, but pre-game and post game stuff that we're all used to seeing.

If it were up to me, EA should release a set of tools, similar to Teambuilder, where users can build custom content that can be integrated into the game experience. Not just stadium sounds, but real video, animation, pre and post game interview stuff, half time stuff, etc.

Without a presentation overhaul (which would not need to wait until the Xbox 720 or PS4), this game, and others, will continue to be lifeless analogs to the real game.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:28 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

I couldn't agree more!! This game is SO STALE. College football is all about emotion and momentum and the fans at the game. None of which is felt playing NCAA12. One of the great things about college football is that you can turn on any game during the weekend and watch a game full of emotion. Take Auburn/Utah St. Even though it was a complete mismatch it turned out to be a great game. I couldn't turn it off. The crowds going crazy, the bands playing when a big play is made. Players getting excited as well as the announcers. Like the OP said when a player scores all he does is jog back to the sideline. That isn't how it works IRL. Players get hyped after EVERY PLAY. Chest bumps, side bumps, high fives. NCAA13 needs emotion!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »