Home

Important: L2/LT Button

This is a discussion on Important: L2/LT Button within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2011, 06:17 PM   #1
Pro

MagicMan1315's Arena

OVR: 13
Important: L2/LT Button

So I have read a whole bunch on these forums about "Super LBs" and instead of posting this in 5 different threads, I thought I would make this and perhaps it will allow people to enjoy passing the football as much as I do.

The L2/LT Button:

The L2/LT button when throwing adds air to the trajectory of the ball.

Now I have been trying it and this is what I can tell you.

On a lob pass, it definitely goes higher and does very rarely gets picked off by the trailing CB on deep passes. It makes the ball come down at a higher angle and more of a basket catch is made by the receiver.

On bullet passes I see a difference as well.

When my receiver is running an out route and the defense is in zone, the ball seems to drop in towards the sideline and the LBs will jump for it, just as the do to pick off the bullet passes, but just hit air and the ball keeps going. So it adds a bit more air under your bullet.

When running a quick out route, have you guys noticed if you throw the bullet then the receiver will loose 2 yards to catch the ball? Well when I throw the L2/LT and throw that bullet to the out route, the ball floats over the top of the receiver and he catches it over the head and does not loose ground. Careful though, safeties and DBs if in man, coming in at a perpendicular angle from the path of the ball can pick these off.

Two warnings:

1) Throwing with L2/LT makes the release of the QB longer. Similar to if you throw a long bomb, he winds up for more power, he will wind up for more of a finesse pass.

2) Since you press and hold L2/LT when throwing, you need to release it once the ball is in the air. If you hold it when your receiver catches, he will try to lateral the ball backwards as that is what the button is supposed to do when you control a ball carrier.

Now I at first thought it was all a placebo effect when I first used it.. and some of my friends are still skeptical... so don't think I am saying this is 100% fact. But I have noticed a huge difference when I use this button and do not deal with "Super LBs" when throwing. In fact, I am only picked off by mistakes by me or being rushed, almost never cheap AI things. (And if I am, it is only warping but I can live with that as I only see it like once a season.)

So try it for yourself and see. I am pretty sure it makes a difference and should put an end to the Middle pass and Super LB debate.

This was added by EccentricMeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by EccenticMeat

Only thing I'll add is that when holding LT/L2 when using a bullet lead pass, the spot that the QB throws the ball to is closer to where the receiver is at when the ball is thrown than when you throw just a normal bullet lead pass.

So with a normal bullet lead pass, the ball goes farther out in front of the receivers route. But when using LT/L2, it throws it very close to where the receiver is WHEN THE BALL IS THROWN. This is VERY helpful when you need to sneak the ball in between zones, ESPECIALLY to a TE/WR going up the seam with the safety lurking. Using LT/L2 can sneak this ball in there if you lead pass to the inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
But for some reason it does make WRs with good hands and awareness be more aggressive going after the ball. I see them dive more for passes out of reach, even dive for tipped passes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTF
Haven't seen this before but got it using L2. I've seen alot more sideline catches and I've definitely had more success keeping receivers in bounds with this little trick.
Here is goalieump413's take on L2/LT -

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalieump413
The best way I can describe what I'm seeing is that the LT acts as an alarm for both the QB and the intended receiver. It has the feel of the QB spotting the window to throw the ball in to, as well as an alert for the intended receiver to turn, break off his route if necessary, and go get the ball. And yes, holding the LT also affects the trajectory of the pass.

The pass' trajectory and aim are now more "situational" if you will. On quick slants, the pass is now thrown to a spot where the receiver has a better chance of making the catch without the DB swatting it away of picking it off. On crossing routes, the ball is thrown with more touch, dropping into his hands just a few feet before contact or better. On deep routes (go/post/flag) the ball takes a higher arc for over the shoulder chances and so on.

I can also confirm that it makes a difference in RTG in games and in the 25 rep practice sessions. In those practice sessions, the deep slant out route is my favorite to test. When I don't hold the LT while throwing the pass, the WR doesn't turn, leap, or cut off his route to get the ball as rapidly or effectively. He is more lazy, allowing the pass to come to him while not recognizing that there might be a defender near by. However, when holding the LT, he acts as he should.

I've also noticed that there is more animation variety all over the field when holding the LT through the pass than I've seen prior. The WR will jump, sometimes get his legs taken out, etc more frequently.

I have a suspicion that, prior to release day, the videos we were seeing coming from EA showing leaping and diving catches were in this "LT" mode. But, for some reason, be it the release day patch or whatever else, that functionality was removed from the game to allow the AI defense to gain the upper hand. We did hear that zone coverage was improved, but it might be helped by the fact that WR's are now morons, and don't go after the ball like they should.
Like I said, have not contacted EA to confirm it but I have noticed a difference. I have also heard they put this in to Madden '10 and has been in Madden and NCAA since its introduction.

Edit: Feel free to add to what else you know about the L2/LT button and I will add it to this post.

Edit: L2 = PS3. LT = Xbox.

Edit: Look at it like this. Accuracy is your left stick. Power is how hard/long you press the button. Finesse is L2/LT.

Edit: So glad I could help you guys and from the sounds of it, many have found this useful. If you have any question at all or need help using it, feel free to send me a PM and I will help however I can.

Answer:

Ok So from
Bumble14, he asked this of Justin Dewiel and it is on page 11 of this thread-

Quote:
Originally Posted by [URL="http://www.operationsports.com/Bumble14/"
Bumble14[/url]]JDewiel Justin Dewiel
@
@Bumble14_OS @MillenniumOS The left stick does precision passing,so by holding up the ball will be thrown higher.
26 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply
»

Justin Dewiel
JDewiel Justin Dewiel
@
@Bumble14_OS @MillenniumOS nah, left trigger doesn't impact the throw or the ball trajectory.
26 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

http://twitter.com/#!/JDewiel
If this is true, then I apologize for getting people's hopes up and am extremely let down that it is not in the game.

I say, if you notice a difference with it, then use it. Life is 90% mental and if this helps you then who is to say it doesn't work. I tend to think it is along the lines goalieump413 theory that it is in the code but they do not know its there. But I won't get into an argument over that as I have never seen the codes of EA.

Again, my apologize but like I said, if you see a difference, then I say use it. I still will. And if I feel like it throws better and I play better with it, then who is to say it doesn't.

To the Mods/Amins:

Even though we have received word of this from an EA admin, I ask the Mods to allow this thread to remain open because I feel there is still something to it. It is also seems to be relieving many frustrations and has apparently fixed something, psychological or not.

I personally will not attack or become combative with anyone who disagrees and I suggest all posters in this thread to do the same. Thank you

Last edited by MagicMan1315; 08-10-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
All Star

LionsFanNJ's Arena

OVR: 29
Hmmm. Interesting. Post work tonight I'll be trying this.

sent from parts unknown
Old 08-09-2011, 06:20 PM   #3
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Important: L2/LT Button

This has helped my passing on deep balls a ton. I couldn't complete them at all before, but using L2 helps out big time

Watch me play video games
Old 08-09-2011, 06:45 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 19

After reading and trying several Play Now games with different teams, this really does work.

I don't know about the L2, but LT is the only thing I've used.

LT also seems to bring out several different catching animations that do not play out as often without using.
(loved the diving toe-drag to the sideline animation)

Have used LT on hooks and quick passes and ball has floated over the head of the wide-open WR. (good to see it's not an automatic catch)

Used it on a Fade to the Endzone with a slow 6'4 WR, without me changing, the CPU WR jumped for it but had it knocked out of his hands. (Finally!!!)
Old 08-09-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
Pro

I3RIS3H's Arena

OVR: 8

Quitting the Madden 12 demo to go test this

Will express my opinion in a bit.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2011, 07:20 PM   #6
Pro

SGMRock's Arena

What does it say holding LT actually does? You said it was added in Madden 10 but I don't remember if I have ever used this. :P

If this works it is definitely a nice find. I'll have to test it as well though I'm not playing any office lately, because of RTG MLB until patch is out :P
Old 08-09-2011, 07:24 PM   #7
Pro

MagicMan1315's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMRock
What does it say holding LT actually does? You said it was added in Madden 10 but I don't remember if I have ever used this.
I am not sure what it says and did not even know it was added then. I heard from another poster on this forum it was added in Madden '10 or possibly '11. Can't remember which. But I had no idea it was there until this year, NCAA '12.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #8
Pro

SGMRock's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMan1315
I am not sure what it says and did not even know it was added then. I heard from another poster on this forum it was added in Madden '10 or possibly '11. Can't remember which. But I had no idea it was there until this year, NCAA '12.
http://www.gamefly.com/game/xbox-360...eplayControls/

http://www.gamefly.com/game/xbox-360...eplayControls/

Doesn't say they do anything in the manual for 11, 10 says its playmaker controls if used with the right thumbstick which I remember those.

Very odd.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »