Home

Rise or fall of CPU programs, predictable or random?

This is a discussion on Rise or fall of CPU programs, predictable or random? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Rise or fall of CPU programs, predictable or random?

In offline dynasties, are there viewable indicators that predict or hint at the rise or decline of opposing programs? Or is it a russian roulette-style of randomness, despite the ratings of the teams (ORE, B rating with B+ offense, B defense, completely tanked in last season I just completed, going 2-10. C ranked C. Mich. finished in top 10)?

The main reason I'm trying to figure this out is because of Custom Scheduling. Scheduling a preseson-ranked team in decline for what might be a recruiting weekend for single-rival UCLA dynasty is something I try to avoid, preferably heading in the other direction -- the unranked preseason team which could be ranked by their date at my place (other dynasty is Auburn, which is quite a bit more forgiving with this concept, thank you Ala., UGA and almost always early- to mid-season scheduled LSU).

I've always jotted down the postseason top-25s, taking a cursory look to see if I notice any teams trending upward or downward.
I also had always noted the recruiting numbers (rank, and # of 5*, 4*, etc.) of conference opponents, but now include the 'top-25' along with other teams that look surprising outside of that range. Top two teams in ea. conference also make it onto the page.

The past 2 seasons I've played I've recorded recruiting rankings with the final rankings but haven't been able to put 2 and 2, or 120 and 120, together.
Are there ties between the categories I've mentioned? Has anyone taken this concept to the next level -- recording similar data into a spread sheet and looking for trends?

Just adding another level of the game that makes it more interesting to me, that's all.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10
Texas and Florida will fall.

If you can't tell I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #3
The Predator

Sportsbuck's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Rise or fall of CPU programs, predictable or random?

Completely random from what I've seen.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
Rookie

UniversityofArizona's Arena

OVR: 3

The team with the highest rated fullback will win the natty! Going beyond the rankings does it help or hurt a team depending on how balanced their classes are and if those classes fill need positions.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #5
Rookie

Jeff George's Arena

OVR: 3

There are definitely cycles related to incoming and outgoing players (team's record will improve for 3 or 4 years, then take a significant drop), as well as coaching changes.

In my current dynasty (13 years in), Wisconsin, Boise State, and TCU are ridiculously dominant. They finish in the Top 10 in rankings and in recruiting annually. They've won a combined four national championships, and eight out of the 13 national championship games so far have featured one of those teams. They hover between 10 and 12 wins most years. No rebuilding, just reloading.

There are consistently good programs that tend to win between 7 and 10 games most years, never getting too high or too low. There are consistently mediocre teams that have a ceiling around 7 or 8 wins, but can bottom out for a few years.

And then there's poor Washington State. Consistent futility. Here's how Wazzu has done: 3-9, 7-6, 3-9, 2-10, 2-10, 2-10, 1-11, 2-10, 1-11, 0-12, 1-11, 2-10, 2-10.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2012, 10:41 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 20

Troy and UCF always become powerhouses in my dynasties. It's been this way forever.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #7
We're Going Farming

Equinox831's Arena

OVR: 18

Air Force always turns into a juggernaut.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

I've noticed UCF and Boise are top ten teams yearly in my dynasty...I have had them in the Big East for a few years now, I'm in my sixth season as a head coach at Texas A&M and it's the ninth season overall in the dynasty

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »