Home

Forming opinions - NCAA 14

This is a discussion on Forming opinions - NCAA 14 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
Rookie

Rumplebeanskin's Arena

OVR: 0
Forming opinions - NCAA 14

I've read a lot of threads on here in the last 3+ months about NCAA 14. When new information surfaces, videos, blogs, news, people always quickly state their opinion on what has been discovered, and how it compares to previous NCAA games. I've never played NCAA before, but I have played Madden for several years.

The general theme most people seem to move towards (rightly or wrongly) is "I'll wait and see. I want to see what they are putting into the game, in action". Too many fancy words, too many pipe dream ideas, and too many CGI promotional videos. There then becomes a heightened importance attached to game play videos, and also the demo for the game. People want to see how the game will look when they have it, and how it will feel to play.

I have no problem with this at all.

Then people say "I didn't enjoy the demo, this isn't for me" or "I'll pass on this years". This is where I just don't get it. Game play videos and demos lack one pretty important element that makes NCAA (and other sports games for that matter) so engrossing and interesting to play. And that is context.

Who hasn't played that "must win" game? And come back from 10 points down in the 4th to make the playoffs, or a bowl game, or even to win it all? You just can't do that in a demo, or from watching game play. It's just plays, players, completions, that have no relevance and no meaning, no carry over or consequence. You can say run blocking is better or worse, pursuit angles have or haven't improved. But that's all people are doing. I guess I just don't understand it.

People enjoy dynasty, online or offline. To compete, have a record, invest effort and emotion into the players they recruit and how they in turn perform on the field. If people didn't want to include those concepts, why not just play quick one off games one after another? And in turn, why remove those concepts when judging a new game? If context matters to so many people when discussing what new dynasty features they want to see in future releases, why are so many people then willing to write off a game without context being considered?

I'm excited to play NCAA 14, I think i'll be heavily involved in an offline dynasty, and I think the gameplay will be more than impressive in helping me enjoy those important dynasty moments, season on season. Or is that just me? Should I be writing off NCAA before I even consider the fun I can have doing things other than scrutinise game play?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #2
Rookie

Lzydd's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Forming opinions - NCAA 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumplebeanskin
I've read a lot of threads on here in the last 3+ months about NCAA 14. When new information surfaces, videos, blogs, news, people always quickly state their opinion on what has been discovered, and how it compares to previous NCAA games. I've never played NCAA before, but I have played Madden for several years.

The general theme most people seem to move towards (rightly or wrongly) is "I'll wait and see. I want to see what they are putting into the game, in action". Too many fancy words, too many pipe dream ideas, and too many CGI promotional videos. There then becomes a heightened importance attached to game play videos, and also the demo for the game. People want to see how the game will look when they have it, and how it will feel to play.

I have no problem with this at all.

Then people say "I didn't enjoy the demo, this isn't for me" or "I'll pass on this years". This is where I just don't get it. Game play videos and demos lack one pretty important element that makes NCAA (and other sports games for that matter) so engrossing and interesting to play. And that is context.

Who hasn't played that "must win" game? And come back from 10 points down in the 4th to make the playoffs, or a bowl game, or even to win it all? You just can't do that in a demo, or from watching game play. It's just plays, players, completions, that have no relevance and no meaning, no carry over or consequence. You can say run blocking is better or worse, pursuit angles have or haven't improved. But that's all people are doing. I guess I just don't understand it.

People enjoy dynasty, online or offline. To compete, have a record, invest effort and emotion into the players they recruit and how they in turn perform on the field. If people didn't want to include those concepts, why not just play quick one off games one after another? And in turn, why remove those concepts when judging a new game? If context matters to so many people when discussing what new dynasty features they want to see in future releases, why are so many people then willing to write off a game without context being considered?

I'm excited to play NCAA 14, I think i'll be heavily involved in an offline dynasty, and I think the gameplay will be more than impressive in helping me enjoy those important dynasty moments, season on season. Or is that just me? Should I be writing off NCAA before I even consider the fun I can have doing things other than scrutinise game play?
If EA didn't want us to form opinions about NCAA why did they release the demo? Jesus Christ, these fan boys seem to lack even rudimentary logic skills; in their bizarro world the demo can only be used to form positive opinions, anything else is invalid.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #3
Rookie

Strategizer's Arena

OVR: 4

The context doesn't mean much if the gameplay is broken or too easy. If people can't enjoy the gameplay, then how can they enjoy those things you mention? I don't care how many rooms a house has if its foundation is defective.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #4
Pro

gameface1324's Arena

OVR: 11

You have to factor in that alot of us have been doing this cycle now for almost 15 years... and its the same song and dance each year.. hype, followed by discovery of same ole game, followed by glitches and bugs, followed by declaration of not buying the game next year, etc.

That said, Im getting it
Old 06-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
Rookie

Rumplebeanskin's Arena

I'm certainly no fan boy, not by a long shot. I see EA as a pretty horrible company, and their exclusivity is a horrible thing. People are free to form any opinion they want from the demo, that's the point of them. I just wanted to know why people place what seems to be a very finalising opinion things just from the demo, be it positive or negative?

Nice to see you throwing the stereotypes out there straight out of the gate though, good effort!

Putting it this way, using an example. You're playing NCAA, it's a bowl game. You are 4th and 10, 2 minutes to go, on half way, no time outs left. You have to pass, drop back, and you get sacked. Your left tackle didn't stop the DE, blew right by him. If you're playing the demo, you probably criticise the line play, probably say the demo is poor, maybe say that it's not been programmed very well.

That same scenario happens in NCAA 14, you're playing the release copy of the game. Maybe you recruited that left tackle because with a few stats improved here and there, you could have a pretty solid player, but you haven't quite got his awareness and pass blocking up yet, and it let you down at a key time. And that LT will be back next year and will be pretty solid. Maybe it was down to the player, and his ratings, and you can see the context of that, and you've performed above expectation to get where you did during the season, instead of just blaming the play of the demo.

Just an example, and perhaps not even the best, but still, it helps to illustrate what I'm getting at.

If you wanna discuss the topic I proposed, lets do it. If you only have standard "fan boy" nonsense to spew out there that has no relevance to a perfectly legitimate question that I asked, then you may as well jog on, cause I'm not interested.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #6
Rookie

CR3AMnCR1MS0N's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameface1324
You have to factor in that alot of us have been doing this cycle now for almost 15 years... and its the same song and dance each year.. hype, followed by discovery of same ole game, followed by glitches and bugs, followed by declaration of not buying the game next year, etc.

That said, Im getting it
Exactly how I've felt about Madden the past few years. I tell myself I'm not gonna buy it this year, then they add something "awesome" and convince me to spend another $60 on their game.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #7
Rookie

Rumplebeanskin's Arena

I'm not immune from this btw, this isn't a "check out you puny people who judge games based on demos, why can't you all be objective like me?" thread. I've done it, still do, may well do it when I get to play the NCAA demo, just canvassing opinion on the subject as it was in my head
Old 06-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumplebeanskin
I'm certainly no fan boy, not by a long shot. I see EA as a pretty horrible company, and their exclusivity is a horrible thing. People are free to form any opinion they want from the demo, that's the point of them. I just wanted to know why people place what seems to be a very finalising opinion things just from the demo, be it positive or negative?

Nice to see you throwing the stereotypes out there straight out of the gate though, good effort!

Putting it this way, using an example. You're playing NCAA, it's a bowl game. You are 4th and 10, 2 minutes to go, on half way, no time outs left. You have to pass, drop back, and you get sacked. Your left tackle didn't stop the DE, blew right by him. If you're playing the demo, you probably criticise the line play, probably say the demo is poor, maybe say that it's not been programmed very well.

That same scenario happens in NCAA 14, you're playing the release copy of the game. Maybe you recruited that left tackle because with a few stats improved here and there, you could have a pretty solid player, but you haven't quite got his awareness and pass blocking up yet, and it let you down at a key time. And that LT will be back next year and will be pretty solid. Maybe it was down to the player, and his ratings, and you can see the context of that, and you've performed above expectation to get where you did during the season, instead of just blaming the play of the demo.

Just an example, and perhaps not even the best, but still, it helps to illustrate what I'm getting at.

If you wanna discuss the topic I proposed, lets do it. If you only have standard "fan boy" nonsense to spew out there that has no relevance to a perfectly legitimate question that I asked, then you may as well jog on, cause I'm not interested.
I don't care whatever kind of goofy scenario you want to come up with, they give us a demo to give us a glimpse of what it will be like to play the game. It's not like this is our 1st rodeo, we've had plenty experience and can form a really good idea of what the final product will be based on the demo. Yes the demo doesnt' include recruiting and all that stuff but it includes the most important thing in the game, gameplay.

The whole point of a demo is to give you a gauge of what to expect. Whats the point of a demo if we're just supposed to ignore what we see in it or chalk off the bad as "well it's not the retail version."

Last edited by JerseySuave4; 06-20-2013 at 10:37 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »