Home

Hard Time Catching Jump Balls?

This is a discussion on Hard Time Catching Jump Balls? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-13-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
Rookie

PapiSuave's Arena

OVR: 1
Hard Time Catching Jump Balls?

Is it just me or is catching jump balls in NCAA Football 14 significantly harder than in years before?

As someone who grew up as a taller WR, I've always been drawn to taller WRs who excel at going up and over the smaller DBs to make a catch and this version has been frustrating to me in that aspect. In my dynasty, I recruit a lot of tall, athletic WRs among the Randy Moss/Calvin Johnson mold. Almost all my WRs are 6'2^ including one who was 6'4, 216 with 98 spd and 99 jumping, but his height and jumping haven't translated when I try and utilize him in matchups with smaller DBs.

One of my favorite plays in real life is the red zone jump ball in the corner of the end zone that Randy Moss basically perfected as evidence by plays around the 3:16 and 5:34 marks of this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcMlkpKX4EY

I know not all WRs are as talented as Moss or Megatron, but many lesser talented WRs are used in this manner in the college and pro game and use their size to create mismatches.

Does anyone else have this problem also or any suggestions on how to eliminate this problem other than to stop trying?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
MVP

DorianDonP's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Hard Time Catching Jump Balls?

My jump button doesn't seem as responsive as years past. Way too many times I press triangle (jump/catch button) and the receiver doesn't even do anything. For this reason I don't even try many jump balls anymore because I feel like the DB makes plays on the ball while the WR either runs right by or just stands there (even when I'm pressing the jump button).

I was wondering if anyone else was having this issue. The fade jump ball was more powerful last year so maybe they decided to tone down it's effectiveness.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28

As Dorian said, the jump button isn't very responsive this year. It goes for both sides of the ball as well. I've had the perfect jump on interceptions, and I press triangle and nothing. I've had times on a streak where my wide receiver would just keep running with no attempt on the ball, whatsoever.

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Old 08-13-2013, 04:34 PM   #4
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

OVR: 6

Best way to take advantage of taller wide receivers is to throw the ball higher using precision passing. Problem with this game though is receivers don't come back to the ball or try to get better positioning.. they just run to area and wait for the ball to fall to them, whereas defenders are much more aggressive. One way to fix this is to try user catching, but as others mentioned its very tricky to get your receiver to jump by using the triangle button. I find a lot of success with fade routes in the endzone, if you throw to the corner they will usually jump up and snatch it.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 3

Has anyone ever noticed if response is somehow tied to awareness or some attribute or even a combination of attributes, where they have to be so high to either get it to wok or work more effectively?

Every once in a while I will get it to work, and I always forget to look at their ratings and see if its a player with high awareness or jup, or man cover or something, but have always forgot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
Pro

superxero27's Arena

OVR: 2

Unless you're playing defense, you're almost certainly not coming up with a jump ball. DBs are much more aggressive in going for the ball then receivers.

I have yet to see a user-thrown jump ball that hasn't been picked, deflected, or dropped.

My teams:
NFL - Minnesota Vikings, Arizona Cardinals
NCAAF/B - Arizona Wildcats, Northern Arizona Lumberjacks, North Texas Mean Green

I find it amusing that the OS icon for NAU is 20 years (and three rebrands!) out of date.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #7
Pro

RonNewman75's Arena

OVR: 0

I can only get WR to do it when I under throw a streak route and turn into the WR and jug to about 2-3 infront of the marker and normally jump catch it with the DB still running to the marker.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #8
MVP

Reed1417's Arena

OVR: 0

Jump balls for 360 players (at least me) are no better. That goes for both sides of the ball as well. Too many times I've had an INT all ready for the taking aaaaaaaaaand it's gone.

Reed's WWE 2k23 Universe: Youtube Edition
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...e-edition.html

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »