Home

Will cpu be able to run the ball

This is a discussion on Will cpu be able to run the ball within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-03-2004, 02:00 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 17
Will cpu be able to run the ball

I have lost some interest in EA football games over the years cause they seem to go for glitz instead of gameplay improvements. EA has NEVER had a football game in which the cpu ran the ball effectively Last year I played against Nebraska I played as Central Michigan on Heisman and held the to 3 years. I lead the nation in run defense holding opponents to 21 yards on average. In order to be completive the cpu ended up throwing the ball 70-80 percent of the time. I don't call that fun. I will rent this game this year. I could care less about home field advantage I want a balanced and challenging game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2004, 02:04 PM   #2
F**tb*ll F*n*t*c

Fetter21's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Will cpu be able to run the ball

I think the major problem of why there is a lack of a running game is the poor run blocking. Holes don't open up right, so it's tough for the HB's to get consistant yardage. From the looks of things it won't be much better this year. But we won't know until we get the game.
Old 07-03-2004, 02:29 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 26

ask in 10 days when people have the game, no one knows right now.
Old 07-03-2004, 02:41 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 2

What difficulty level are you playing on?

I played on All-American with some adjusted sliders and I had no problems. I did an Oregon State dynasty and Boise State had 200+ rush yards against me.
Old 07-03-2004, 02:56 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:

fsquid said:
ask in 10 days when people have the game, no one knows right now.

is steve pissed he didnt get the beta this year??? Im asking cuz ive yet to see steve comment on the beta and am curious to know his opinion on it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2004, 03:00 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 26

PR is writing a statement.
Old 07-03-2004, 04:45 PM   #7
BTG
Banned

BTG's Arena

OVR: 5

Another problem with the CPU running games is toss and sweep plays.

The CPU will have 1st and 10, run a sweep to the weak side of their formation, and get killed by an unblocked DE or OLB. This means they just lost 5-6 yards and are forced to pass on 2nd and 3rd down.

Another reason the CPU's rushing yardage is so bad is thanks to the sack = negative rushing yardage stat.
Old 07-03-2004, 05:16 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

For the most part it is true that the ai never really has an effective running game. I think with any mediocre team you can shut down the cpus running game. However, in 04 I played as Wyoming in a dynasty and I could not stop the run for the life of me. I was near the bottom in run defense. That was the first time that ever happened. By the way, I was playing on AA with adjusted sliders. There were times when the cpu would have an entire drive of just runs on me. That really shocked me. I actually had to call defensive plays to try and stop the run. Usually I could call 3-4 and stop both the run and pass. However, once I got better talent that quickly changed.

So, I see the problem with the speed and ability of the defensive front and LBs and run plays available. With me, I usually only have an effective running game out of the I-formation, because I need the blocking FB for the extra blocker (when he actually blocks someone). Also, there are quite a few plays that just don't work unless its just the perfect situation (sweeps, toss, etc.). I think the ai calls run plays that just aren't effective based on the game's engine. Combine that with the being able to speed into backfield consistently to blow up running plays and you have a non-effective running game by the ai. I think there will have to be major overhaul of the game's engine to get the running game right. Because even if they made it where the ai routinely ran the ball, they would never gain much yardage against a human opponent with the game as it is.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »